Semester 1 USYD Chatter Thread 2013 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I always thought HSC wasn't difficult at all - at least, the content wasn't difficult. I knew uni was gonna be a lot tougher than HSC - hopefully I'm enough to get a pass or credit.

Honestly, I just wanted to know if it was just me or if most people were feeling like there is just too much work and that they're sorta trying to keep their head above the water.
yeah HSC was easy content wise however I just thought i needed to study heaps to get a good mark

but yeah I told myself I would catch up this break and I didn't so yesterday and today, i've been doing so much work! :s

and dont you need a credit average to stay in advanced science?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah HSC was easy content wise however I just thought i needed to study heaps to get a good mark

but yeah I told myself I would catch up this break and I didn't so yesterday and today, i've been doing so much work! :s

and dont you need a credit average to stay in advanced science?
Yeah, I think that's only your 2nd and 3rd year but I do need to maintain at least 65 to stay in any advanced subjects.

Last edited:

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I think that's only your 2nd and 3rd year but I do need to maintain at least 65 to stay in any advanced subjects.
Most of my friends who did advanced physics in first semester considered it their hardest non-math unit, so you're definitely not alone.

madharris

HSC
N/A
:s good luck! I don't even know how i'm going to go grades wise

My course is completely different to how i imagined it to be, i don't even know how to study for 2 of my subjects :p (lucky one of them does't have an exam) So I have no idea what to expect (except for my biology subject, which hopefully i can get a D for)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Most of my friends who did advanced physics in first semester considered it their hardest non-math unit, so you're definitely not alone.
Ahhh, thank goodness :) - imagine the disaster if I was the only one...=/

:s good luck! I don't even know how i'm going to go grades wise

My course is completely different to how i imagined it to be, i don't even know how to study for 2 of my subjects :p (lucky one of them does't have an exam) So I have no idea what to expect (except for my biology subject, which hopefully i can get a D for)
That's my other problem - I have no idea what it takes to pass, credit, distinction, high distinction and all that.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I can't say for sure as I suspect they might have changed the way they allocate grades, but for maths I found that the mark I received was around 2 - 5 % higher than my raw. For chemistry this was around 3 %, and biology didn't seem to have any noticeable scaling. I did advanced science subjects and normal maths.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahhh, thank goodness :) - imagine the disaster if I was the only one...=/

That's my other problem - I have no idea what it takes to pass, credit, distinction, high distinction and all that.
This makes it the hardest thing-I have no idea where I stack to people in uni. It's what is the most worrisome.

So definitely not alone at all.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This makes it the hardest thing-I have no idea where I stack to people in uni. It's what is the most worrisome.

I wouldn't worry too much. Every first year goes through that in first semester.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I can't say for sure as I suspect they might have changed the way they allocate grades, but for maths I found that the mark I received was around 2 - 5 % higher than my raw. For chemistry this was around 3 %, and biology didn't seem to have any noticeable scaling. I did advanced science subjects and normal maths.
Well, that's sad...

Good to know I'm not the only one...

enoilgam

HSC

Just do your best and you will be fine (simple answer, but hey, it works).

madharris

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't worry too much. Every first year goes through that in first semester.
And then you got those people who transferred who seem so smart because they know what they're doing and what works for them :(

enoilgam

HSC
And then you got those people who transferred who seem so smart because they know what they're doing and what works for them :(
You will find that most people struggle with similar things - even those who seem to have it all together.

madharris

HSC
N/A
At least you don't do psych :)
Have to maintain a Distinction average if i recall correctly :p

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
At least you don't do psych :)
Have to maintain a Distinction average if i recall correctly :p
to get into honours, yeah but they weight second and third year more.

You're doing B Applied Sci (OT) according to your sig so I don't understand why you're stressing about psych??

madharris

HSC
N/A
to get into honours, yeah but they weight second and third year more.

You're doing B Applied Sci (OT) according to your sig so I don't understand why you're stressing about psych??
I thought you needed distinction to stay in the course or you xfer to science or arts majoring in psych

And I'm not stressing, i'm just stating be glad you don't need distinctions to stay in your course :p

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I thought you needed distinction to stay in the course or you xfer to science or arts majoring in psych

And I'm not stressing, i'm just stating be glad you don't need distinctions to stay in your course :p
Only for B Psych people in the Science stream (or in 2nd/3rd year if you're in the Arts stream). But you're B Applied Sci so it shouldn't apply to you?

I started in B Psych and got the D average but found it too limiting in terms of what I wanted to do so I swapped degrees and am ridic happy. And because I'm happy doing what I like, I've been able to maintain a good average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)