Semester 1 USYD Chatter Thread 2013 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
That wouldn't surprise me. Haven't used R but Minitab seemed so disjointed and poorly designed.

Why does it take you so long to start hypothesis testing though!?
I'm assuming Arcorn is referring to ECMT or QBUS (rather than MATH/STAT which actually gets you to learn R) but you definitely need to have a good knowledge of probability and distribution theory before you can even touch hypothesis testing. It probably takes a while for non-math students to absorb probability and distribution theory at first.

Another thing is that hypothesis testing is quite difficult to learn for the first time. From my experience in taking MATH1005 tutorials, it is also incredibly difficult to explain the fundamental concepts behind it very clearly.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
wait until you do quantum physics next sem :)
Can't wait :).

The slightly more formal quantum chemistry stuff I just started looks like it has potential. Our lecturer pretty much completes my image of what I thought a science professor was supposed to look like.

How are you finding MATH2961/2962?

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I'm assuming Arcorn is referring to ECMT or QBUS (rather than MATH/STAT which actually gets you to learn R) but you definitely need to have a good knowledge of probability and distribution theory before you can even touch hypothesis testing. It probably takes a while for non-math students to absorb probability and distribution theory at first.

Another thing is that hypothesis testing is quite difficult to learn for the first time. From my experience in taking MATH1005 tutorials, it is also incredibly difficult to explain the fundamental concepts behind it very clearly.
Pretty much, it's ECMT. So Economics side of it. I did a Science based stat course. We started hypothesis testing about 4 weeks in. Loved it so much while the rest of the class struggled. And that's the thing, Excel is way too simple, and that gets to me. But I guess I just don't like using proprietary software.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
CHEM1901 and PHYS1901 suddenly got hard...:evilfire:
Only a few hrs of sleep for that tute today and I was like...
Should have hit up fundie chem where they spend a lecture explaining an element, that'd be the life.

Honeymoon period is over brah

Excel does have statistical packages and it is more commonly used in the workplace simply because it is more user friendly than most statistical software out there.
Yeah my liver is pretty dead from college, official honeymoon period over. Now there is actual work. Well maths is still HS stuff, and bio is just going more in depth than HS but chem is like woah.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
What are you even studying in chem? Are you doing first year thermodynamics or something?

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
It makes sense, but could someone explain in clear terms why its easier to get a D/HD in advanced units compared to normal and fundamentals?

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
Can't wait :).

The slightly more formal quantum chemistry stuff I just started looks like it has potential. Our lecturer pretty much completes my image of what I thought a science professor was supposed to look like.

How are you finding MATH2961/2962?
oh woops I actually was meant to reply to someth1ng's quote:
CHEM1901 and PHYS1901 suddenly got hard...:evilfire:
because the later stuff we learnt in quantum physics in PHYS1901 was hard (well for me it was) but some people find it interesting so yeh maybe you will too :D Tbh for MATH2961 Zhang doesn't really explain the theory that well even though we've learnt some of it before. However, I think MATH2962 seems more interesting atm since Cirstea explains stuff better and is amusing at times :) How are you finding it? Oh btw, what do you look like? Maybe I can spot you in one of the lectures some day heheh

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
oh woops I actually was meant to reply to someth1ng's quote:

because the later stuff we learnt in quantum physics in PHYS1901 was hard (well for me it was) but some people find it interesting so yeh maybe you will too :D Tbh for MATH2961 Zhang doesn't really explain the theory that well even though we've learnt some of it before. However, I think MATH2962 seems more interesting atm since Cirstea explains stuff better and is amusing at times :) How are you finding it? Oh btw, what do you look like? Maybe I can spot you in one of the lectures some day heheh
Yeah I agree... the difference between the level of detail presented in the notes and in class is extreme, especially with this second derivative test/hessian matrix stuff. I'm finding 2962 more interesting/enjoyable for the same reasons. Cirstea's material seems to have a flow to it whereas Zhang's is like a loose assortment of definitions (the lectures that I went to anyway). I think I'm going to go have a peek around the libraries for some vector calculus/analysis books one of these days.

I usually sit in one of the first three rows on the left hand side of the middle aisle. If you see someone with a large coffee and giant folder with CHEM2401/2911/2915 notes on the inside cover (really easy to spot) then that's probably me. Other than that I'm ~6'1 with brown hair but that won't set me apart from a lot of people. On the (unfortunately somewhat rare) occasion that I'm in class don't be afraid to say hi :).

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know where I might find a lecture timetable for psyc1001? Im trying to found out if theres any alternate times i can go to for the monday lecture.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It makes sense, but could someone explain in clear terms why its easier to get a D/HD in advanced units compared to normal and fundamentals?
Scaling. I think how it works is that there is a common component between the levels in the final exam and they determine the extent of scaling from that (advanced should perform better in this common section than normal)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Does anyone know where I might find a lecture timetable for psyc1001? Im trying to found out if theres any alternate times i can go to for the monday lecture.
web.timetable.usyd.edu.au (I think)
Scaling. I think how it works is that there is a common component between the levels in the final exam and they determine the extent of scaling from that (advanced should perform better in this common section than normal)
Yep, that's it.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Am I the only one who has a minor panic attack in the time between submitting an answer on mastering physics and the answer coming up?

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
Yeah I agree... the difference between the level of detail presented in the notes and in class is extreme, especially with this second derivative test/hessian matrix stuff. I'm finding 2962 more interesting/enjoyable for the same reasons. Cirstea's material seems to have a flow to it whereas Zhang's is like a loose assortment of definitions (the lectures that I went to anyway). I think I'm going to go have a peek around the libraries for some vector calculus/analysis books one of these days.

I usually sit in one of the first three rows on the left hand side of the middle aisle. If you see someone with a large coffee and giant folder with CHEM2401/2911/2915 notes on the inside cover (really easy to spot) then that's probably me. Other than that I'm ~6'1 with brown hair but that won't set me apart from a lot of people. On the (unfortunately somewhat rare) occasion that I'm in class don't be afraid to say hi :).
haha ok that's very vague except maybe the chemistry notes part but if I do spot you then sure I'll say hi :)...oh btw assignment for MATH2961 is up. Just skimmed it and it looks ok, I think...

Am I the only one who has a minor panic attack in the time between submitting an answer on mastering physics and the answer coming up?
what is a mastering physics? :p But seriously, you're not the only one (everyone goes thru the same thing) and it's annoying when you lose marks for making minor mistakes in your answer or when you accidently submitted the wrong answer twice because you thought it stuffed up when the answer didn't come up yet.

zxreth

HSC
ahh mastering physics. yahoo answers was my best friend back then.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
haha ok that's very vague except maybe the chemistry notes part but if I do spot you then sure I'll say hi :)...oh btw assignment for MATH2961 is up. Just skimmed it and it looks ok, I think...

what is a mastering physics? :p But seriously, you're not the only one (everyone goes thru the same thing) and it's annoying when you lose marks for making minor mistakes in your answer or when you accidently submitted the wrong answer twice because you thought it stuffed up when the answer didn't come up yet.
I'll be there on Monday at 9:00 so I'll do my best to make it... obvious. Don't worry, if it takes you less than a semester to spot me you're still doing better than riproot. Lol.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
ahh mastering physics. yahoo answers was my best friend back then.
definitely but not always reliable XD

I'll be there on Monday at 9:00 so I'll do my best to make it... obvious. Don't worry, if it takes you less than a semester to spot me you're still doing better than riproot. Lol.
I see what you did there;) ok then, I'll see...I sometimes come a little late anyways. Lol I actually met riproot like 3 weeks into semester in a maths tute, but that's much easier to find than a lecture.

TheBloop

HSC
Your description was super vague, plus I told YOU to say hi to me. :(

(6’1” and brown hair is every male at USyd ever)

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Your description was super vague, plus I told YOU to say hi to me. :(

(6’1” and brown hair is every male at USyd ever)
Yeah, sorry... I just get really tired around that time and my brain seems to go on vacation. I didn't want to appear slightly aspie the first time I met someone from BoS.

I was planning to say hi at the meat but you couldn't come. :(

TheBloop

HSC
Yeah, sorry... I just get really tired around that time and my brain seems to go on vacation. I didn't want to appear slightly aspie the first time I met someone from BoS.

I was planning to say hi at the meat but you couldn't come. :(
awkies for you… i was there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)