Semester 1 USYD Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antheung

HSC
N/A
You did 3rd year maths this sem right?

How were they? Next year I'm more than likely doing Metric Spaces/Galois Theory/Biomaths/and idk the last one yet, but probs mathematical computing.

Am I gonna get hardcore rekt (all at advanced level, I don't like doing regular if there's advanced available).
I only did two 3rd year maths subjects this semester (MATH3961 and MATH3974), since I already did more than enough maths subjects last year :p

I was completely rekt by MATH3961 :( To be honest, I didn't expect to be rekt so badly since I did alright in MATH2962 and MATH3969 :frown2: I thought MATH3969 was harder than MATH3961 but my result for MATH3969 was so much better than MATH3961.

I did mathematical computing last year (but I was in the normal stream). I think it's one of the easier 3rd year maths subjects I've done. If you're comfortable with programming you won't struggle too badly, I think. The programming assignments were relatively straightforward but 1 or 2 out of the 5 programming assignments were particularly time-consuming, which is probably something you should consider since you plan to do four 3rd year maths subjects :p I did two 2nd year and two 3rd year maths subjects last year so I could spend more time on the programming assignments :D But notice that the language used is probably not such a common choice - FORTRAN - so it takes some time to learn the syntax even if you have some programming experience.

I only did MATH3063 (the normal stream), which is completely different from MATH3963, and I didn't do MATH3962, so I'm afraid that I can't comment on those. :p

I personally found MATH3974 most interesting, but since you are doing pure maths, probably you won't be considering it :tongue:

antheung

HSC
N/A
Do it if you have Daners.

Don't do it if you have Florica. She's a great lecturer but her assessments are quite difficult.
I agree :p I've had a look at the assignments this year and they're really hard

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
@Amleops - I remember you telling us that you were semi-fluent in French and that you did not wish others to find out hahaha. But those marks are pretty awesome so congrats. :)
Yes well, they've given me my mark, they can't disqualify me now :p.

I agree :p I've had a look at the assignments this year and they're really hard
Oh the assignments weren't too bad, I can generally get a lot of questions if I have quite a long time to think about it. Plus you can research the internet for similar questions.

The quizzes and the exam on the other hand really did me in haha.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I only did two 3rd year maths subjects this semester (MATH3961 and MATH3974), since I already did more than enough maths subjects last year :p

I was completely rekt by MATH3961 :( To be honest, I didn't expect to be rekt so badly since I did alright in MATH2962 and MATH3969 :frown2: I thought MATH3969 was harder than MATH3961 but my result for MATH3969 was so much better than MATH3961.

I did mathematical computing last year (but I was in the normal stream). I think it's one of the easier 3rd year maths subjects I've done. If you're comfortable with programming you won't struggle too badly, I think. The programming assignments were relatively straightforward but 1 or 2 out of the 5 programming assignments were particularly time-consuming, which is probably something you should consider since you plan to do four 3rd year maths subjects :p I did two 2nd year and two 3rd year maths subjects last year so I could spend more time on the programming assignments :D But notice that the language used is probably not such a common choice - FORTRAN - so it takes some time to learn the syntax even if you have some programming experience.

I only did MATH3063 (the normal stream), which is completely different from MATH3963, and I didn't do MATH3962, so I'm afraid that I can't comment on those. :p

I personally found MATH3974 most interesting, but since you are doing pure maths, probably you won't be considering it :tongue:
I have no programming experience. Will I be alright in math computing?

It's either that or fluid dynamics, unless I overload this coming sem and do an extra 3rd year like Hamiltonian dynamics.

antheung

HSC
N/A

It's either that or fluid dynamics, unless I overload this coming sem and do an extra 3rd year like Hamiltonian dynamics.
The computers in the Carslaw labs have Fortran tutorials that you can work through in your own time and during the labs. Just make sure that you work through them and I guess you should be fine. If you're really worried about programming, perhaps you could get a book on Fortran or a copy of the course notes and learn the basics during the summer vacation :D But I really don't think you'll have any problems.

As for fluid mechanics, although I said I found it to be one of the most interesting subjects, I think it's really hard. To be honest, I was expecting a mark much lower than what I actually got (I actually didn't even have time to attempt all the questions on the exam - the exam had 4 questions, each with several parts, and I think the parts that I left blank almost added up to 1 whole question!). But it was my fault for not learning the material well, because most of the questions on the actual exam were only variants of examples seen in lectures/tutorials.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

What software is the course based on?

Find out the software, then get some practice with it and/or maybe learn in depth the programming language(s) that it is based on.

duhdevitt

HSC
hey does anyone here do design computing. I'm in year 12 and it seems like something I will enjoy

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I actually don't have much of an idea about Fortran. It started out really low level but then it has had supports made to it for higher level programming.

My suggestion is to have a look at past material and find out how Fortran is being used in the course. Then have a go at making some challenges for your self or attempting past years tute work or assignments.

My advice with programming is just to practice with sample problems all the time and have a deep understanding of the underlying software and what you can or can't do.

antheung

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if you get to attend two separate graduation ceremonies (one for the 3-year degree and then one for Honours) or only one (when you finish Honours) if you do Honours? :confused:

I'm from the Faculty of Science, if that is relevant.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
Does anyone know if you get to attend two separate graduation ceremonies (one for the 3-year degree and then one for Honours) or only one (when you finish Honours) if you do Honours? :confused:

I'm from the Faculty of Science, if that is relevant.
I'm pretty sure it's one

antheung

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure it's one
Oh ... thanks. :mad2:
It's good that I found out just in time - otherwise I would've asked my family to come all the way from overseas just to find out that there is no graduation ceremony to attend :(

J18134

HSC
Anyone ever done a School of Natural Sciences Summer Scholarship?

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Got invited into PHYS1902. Is it a trap? I've heard some pretty frightening things about the unit lol.

Aysce

HSC
Got invited into PHYS1902. Is it a trap? I've heard some pretty frightening things about the unit lol.
Take a look at the Subject Reviews thread if you haven't.

I didn't take it personally, so I can't say much, but my mates found it pretty difficult. That being said, they did end up fine (one mid-credit, one high distinction) but obviously that depends on each individual's ability and interest in the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)