Semester 2 Chatter Thread (2007) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimbom

HSC
Re: Semester II Chatter Thread!

Triangulum said:
My GOVT tutor was saying today that Government and International Relations is moving to the Arts Faculty as of next year. Anyone heard about it?
Yeah, officially from next year both government and international relations, and political economy are part of the arts faculty. Which means who knows what for units like government, business and society (compulsory for b.commerce) and other economics- focused units like international risk analysis. And much less funding for research. So degrees like B.International Studies, and B.Economic and Social Sciences (if the student hasn't chosen economics or ir/hrm) that were originally part of the economics & business faculty, are also going with it- they are really the same as B.Arts.

It sucks for people doing commerce/arts degrees etc though who were doing govt as their commerce major- there's a limit to how many non- economics and business credit points you can do. I'm not sure if it will apply to people who began their degrees pre- 2008 though.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

yeah of course it will only apply to people who begin their degrees in 2008. i thought ecop was moving this semester.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

is any1 going 2 theatresports this sem?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

cimbom said:
Yeah, officially from next year both government and international relations, and political economy are part of the arts faculty. Which means who knows what for units like government, business and society (compulsory for b.commerce) and other economics- focused units like international risk analysis. And much less funding for research. So degrees like B.International Studies, and B.Economic and Social Sciences (if the student hasn't chosen economics or ir/hrm) that were originally part of the economics & business faculty, are also going with it- they are really the same as B.Arts.

It sucks for people doing commerce/arts degrees etc though who were doing govt as their commerce major- there's a limit to how many non- economics and business credit points you can do. I'm not sure if it will apply to people who began their degrees pre- 2008 though.
:(

I sort of like studying in two faculties. Now I won't even be studying in two schools from next year onwards. (Assuming that GOVT and ECOP are put into SOPHI, which seems logical.)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Iheartpaulfrank said:
Thanks for that. I just read that MATH1015 and MATH1005 are pretty much the same. So do you think I could get by just by copying someone else's notes? I want to take it, also because I do psych.
If you've already done 1015, then they won't let you do 1005, or vice versa...if that's what you were getting at. My general advice from last year at UNSW is thus:

Stats is a deathly boring subject, but it's the easiest of the math subjects. So like...it's shit, but you'll get through it ok.

Can't wait for next years education subjects if they're as good as you say, malfoy. I might have a look at a few of the course outlines in fischer one day this week if i have free time, to snoop around and what not.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

townie said:
is any1 going 2 theatresports this sem?
I am! I am! I plan on soldiering into uni on thursday no matter how I feel to make up a class I missed.

I'll be the one coughing up their lungs.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

cimbom said:

Is that Euro Qualifying?

Also, does that mean I won't be able to do GOVT subjects for fun? (am doing B/Commerce right now with ACCT major). Thanks in Advance, I remain as clueless as ever. :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC

we don't know yet. We need to wait until they announce everything before deciding.

bustinjustin

HSC

Triangulum said:
:(

I sort of like studying in two faculties. Now I won't even be studying in two schools from next year onwards. (Assuming that GOVT and ECOP are put into SOPHI, which seems logical.)
There'll be a separate school of social inquiry. GOVT and ECOP should've been in their own faculty at the very least, because they're overshadowed by more profitable business disciplines in the EcoBus faculty (which is now more Bus than Eco), but then the Arts faculty is poorer, and they may be be undervalued and underfunded there too (e.g: All those plasma screens in Merewether? The faculty only bought them so they wouldn't have to hand over excess funds to be redistributed to poorer faculties, namely Arts).

At most other unis the likes of govt, political economy, even economics, maybe metrics (ie the original 4 disciplines of the former 'school of economics and politics' would be in the arts faculty anyway, leaving accounting, infs, etc to a purely "business'' faculty. It's just sydney unis faculties seem to be allergic to each other, hence stupid caps on 'outside' units one can do in a degree.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC

i doubt econometrics would be put in the Arts faculty. That'd be silly. Science, perhaps. Arts? No. I think ECMT may also be quite profitable for the faculty to keep.
I can see the logic in putting economics into Arts, though. Most US colleges do this already.

bustinjustin

HSC

stazi said:
i doubt econometrics would be put in the Arts faculty. That'd be silly. Science, perhaps. Arts? No. I think ECMT may also be quite profitable for the faculty to keep.
I can see the logic in putting economics into Arts, though. Most US colleges do this already.
wasn't gonna put it in the list for that very reason, but it was previously lumped together with those other 4 disciplines.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

ultimately, I think the E&B faculty will fight to retain anything profitable. I antiscipate that govt is being let go because it just wasn't raking in the money. I also doubt that many international students take units in the discipline.

This could well benefit commerce students in the long run, though. More money = better facilities

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
If you've already done 1015, then they won't let you do 1005, or vice versa...if that's what you were getting at. My general advice from last year at UNSW is thus:

Stats is a deathly boring subject, but it's the easiest of the math subjects. So like...it's shit, but you'll get through it ok.
No I haven't done MATH1015. I just wanted to know if I could pass the course just by taking someone else's notes, cos if I take up stat, I will have major clashes, & I probably won't be able to make it to any of the lectures. I knew they wouldn't let you do the same subject twice. Thanks Nebuchanezzar!

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC

who teaches logic? hopefully it's not a woman. brogan, you so shouldve taken ibus2102. it's awesome.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

scarybunny said:
I am! I am! I plan on soldiering into uni on thursday no matter how I feel to make up a class I missed.

I'll be the one coughing up their lungs.
I take that back. If I still feel like this tomorrow there's no way I'm going into uni.

Stupid body. Why be so sick for?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Damn. My English tut was looking fine this morning, until it was filled up with about 25 people. Are English tuts usually this big? I mean, I'm fine, because in tuts I'm a fairly loud person, but this is absurd.

Malfoy said:
2001 (Craft Knowledge) is awesome, like I said. It's probably the first *useful* edfac subject you'll do. Plus having a stack of ex-drama teachers lecturing is awesome because it's entertaining.

Ed Psych (2006) can be interesting but is very theory-filled (and I didn't necessarily agree with a lot of the theories, but at times it was interesting anyway). Richard Walker's a fairly decent lecturer.

Social Perspectives (2007) sucks so far... it's essentially a very left-wing course, for one (which bothers me a lot but probably won't bother most in the edfac) and the research project is absolutely huge.

You do a fourth Ed subject in first sem (there's a choice of them) which I've left til first sem next year because of health issues last sem, so I have no idea what they're all about. I know at least two of the choices - one's about mentoring and one's about secondary schooling in Australia - but obviously I have no idea how good they are.
Awesome. I don't have to do edpsych either, as I already have an exemption (did it at UNSW).

Why have I not seen any BOS'ers? Other than the one person who I thought I saw, whose name I did not know, nor if they were really a BOS'er, I've not seen anyone. Oh, I saw Justin Simon, but that doesn't count.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

maybe you haven't seen them because you don't know what they look like? bosers don't really wear "Hai i'm from bos. enquire within" t-shirts

HSC

brogan77 said:
Where?

Was I hot?
I'm not sure it was you though. You were standing on the road near where the Holme Building and the Bank Building was (I'm not too sure about that). And you were calling out 'Ben!' :eek:

You were kinda hot, btw. :shy:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

stazi said:
maybe you haven't seen them because you don't know what they look like? bosers don't really wear "Hai i'm from bos. enquire within" t-shirts
perhaps they should?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

The SRC seems to be actually campaigning on student-related issues like HECS and youth allowance this week. It's freaking me out. (But I keep seeing people with Demand A Better Future shirts on. That campaign is like so two months ago.)

HSTY1088 still isn't up on WebCT. And I'm pretty sure that he said there was going to be a site. For Christ's sake, what's so difficult about it?

Ancient history this semester is so much better than ancient history last semester it's mind-blowing. I'm almost definitely going to do an ancient major if it continues like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)