Semester 2 Chatter Thread 2014. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antheung

HSC
N/A
Just curious: Does anyone know when to expect to receive an offer/rejection for Honours if you apply for mid-year entry?

My situation is a bit awkward in the sense that, since I expect to graduate in June/July next semester and I will probably leave Australia if I can't get into Honours, I would like to know as soon as possible if I can get into Honours through mid-year entry. I wouldn't want to waste one month's rent staying here in Australia just to know that I didn't get a place for Honours just before Semester 2 starts. :frown2:

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Don't believe there is; there are minimum requirements but I don't think there's a maximum.
Trust me, there's a maximum if you're in advanced degree. I got a warning for exceeding 48 credit points of junior units (they told me the semester after I did the extra junior unit) and to make up for it I needed to do another intermediate/senior unit to keep my degree. Since I didn't want to overload this semester, I underloaded my senior units this semester and choosing to do the rest of units in my final year next year.

Unless you do a normal Science degree where the max is 60 lol
That's a maximum for junior units though? Not senior?
Once you reach degree requirements (ie the 144 credits required for an undergrad degree, with the certain number of junior, intermediate, senior), you will be forced to graduate. You can ask for special permission to exceed degree credit requirements, but it's a bit of a process.

Usually the only reason to get approved to go above credits is because you haven't met degree requirements. Eg you've maxed out credits but haven't met the requirements to get a major. Then you can only do subjects that will get you that major.

The longest English essay I've ever written in my life was less than 1000 words in length. I can't imagine how you write 3000 words! :eek2:
I did a 5k one in first sem, and have another two 5k ones due in a few weeks. Then there's that little thing of a 20k thesis...

Just curious: Does anyone know when to expect to receive an offer/rejection for Honours if you apply for mid-year entry?

My situation is a bit awkward in the sense that, since I expect to graduate in June/July next semester and I will probably leave Australia if I can't get into Honours, I would like to know as soon as possible if I can get into Honours through mid-year entry. I wouldn't want to waste one month's rent staying here in Australia just to know that I didn't get a place for Honours just before Semester 2 starts. :frown2:
Speak to the faculty/department. Sometimes they can give you a heads up before it's official.

That laugh we all make when we know we're screwed (whether it be for studies etc) but we embrace it.
:awesome:

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Once you reach degree requirements (ie the 144 credits required for an undergrad degree, with the certain number of junior, intermediate, senior), you will be forced to graduate. You can ask for special permission to exceed degree credit requirements, but it's a bit of a process.
Oh.

Well that's easily fixed; I've done 12 junior science credit points already, so I'll do PSYC1001 sometime in the future and do PSYC1002 in Summer School after I've finished all the maths units I want to complete. That way I wouldn't have completed all the requirements for my degree until the last minute.

That will work right? I hope so haha.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Oh.

Well that's easily fixed; I've done 12 junior science credit points already, so I'll do PSYC1001 sometime in the future and do PSYC1002 in Summer School after I've finished all the maths units I want to complete. That way I wouldn't have completed all the requirements for my degree until the last minute.

That will work right? I hope so haha.
Unofficially, yeah that works (it's what I did). Officially, you should speak to one of the deans in regards to degree planning. But the new lady can be a bit of a bitch about it (by which I mean inflexible which is ridiculous because everyone has an individual story and reason for doing things how they're doing them).

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
ABC TV will be filming on the Quadrangle (A14) front lawns on Tuesday 21 October from 6am to 5.30pm.

Please be advised there will be restricted parking along University Place.

The film crew has provided their own safety officers to be onsite for the whole day. The scene involves a struggle between three people and a fake gun so please do not be alarmed or call emergency services. A certified weapons officer will be on site to handle any queries.

Who bets the show is for the new season The Gods of Wheat Street (I dooooo)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Unofficially, yeah that works (it's what I did). Officially, you should speak to one of the deans in regards to degree planning. But the new lady can be a bit of a bitch about it (by which I mean inflexible which is ridiculous because everyone has an individual story and reason for doing things how they're doing them).
Well that's probably a reason for me to avoid her then haha.

I've got my degree plan pretty much down pat, and I'm not breaking any rules, I might just go about my own business and only involve the deans if problems occur.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well that's probably a reason for me to avoid her then haha.

I've got my degree plan pretty much down pat, and I'm not breaking any rules, I might just go about my own business and only involve the deans if problems occur.
I had one of those and it changed drastically.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Oh mine have too. I made up a different degree plan every time I transferred, but now I think I'm settling down on what I want to study so I'm relatively confident my plan won't change. Unless I decide I want to go on exchange in the future, then I may have to rearrange the order of units around slightly, but it's nothing too major.

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
sup guys anyone have 3k to travel with me?

On the other hand..... end sem meat or ceebs?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
sup guys anyone have 3k to travel with me?

On the other hand..... end sem meat or ceebs?
Usually there is one after exams. Can also organise one near the end of week 13 as well.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
i don't have time to organise a meat but I don't work Fridays anymore so could do something then. And want to check out the new bar in holme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)