Semester 2 USYD Chatter Thread 2013 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

funnytomato

HSC
Does any one know what's happening with the strike next Tuesday?

I fail to see why the students have to suffer because of the problems between the staff and the managing team.

I do appreciate that a university should not be run like a business, but there's nothing much we, as students, can do about this situation. (and yet we've already paid for our courses, which now will be of a lower quality/quantity)

Last edited:
HSC
The way the unions are doing things, it seems like they don't care about the students. I don't care if they don't mean this, or it is unintended, it just comes off like this.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Hasn't there been like 4 or 5 strikes already? I'm surprised they still think they will achieve anything.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
The NTEU only cares about its members, I thought this was obvious.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Mmmmh GEOS is a nice and interesting subject. Just got the easiest 3.5% from a post lab quiz.

Thanks for the recommendation OzKo :)

For the strike, my lab will be going ahead and probs the associated lecture, I presume maths lecture will be probs be cancelled as with all the other strikes.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Mmmmh GEOS is a nice and interesting subject. Just got the easiest 3.5% from a post lab quiz.

Thanks for the recommendation OzKo :)

For the strike, my lab will be going ahead and probs the associated lecture, I presume maths lecture will be probs be cancelled as with all the other strikes.
No worries.

Are you guys doing the Newtown walk thing this year?

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
At my last job we had a brand something like Gran's fudge. Anyway, they were put in as "Gran's Ass Fudge" for assorted. I was the only one that picked up what was wrong with it...

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe if all students stopped being so passive about it all and did something it would make a difference.

Eg. if 50 000 students all participated in the strike, it would send a clear message to the administration. But at this stage, a lot of people just go 'oh yay a day off' or go to their classes (valid if yours are still running).
That's not gonna happen because we generally hate how the strikes have disrupted our own work. If the strikes were less interfering in a negative way, perhaps there would be more support.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Maybe if all students stopped being so passive about it all and did something it would make a difference.

Eg. if 50 000 students all participated in the strike, it would send a clear message to the administration. But at this stage, a lot of people just go 'oh yay a day off' or go to their classes (valid if yours are still running).
uw0tm8.

You're saying people should participate in the strike by a) not taking a day off if their classes are cancelled or b) going to class if they aren't?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

It's possible that most students disagree with what the NTEU is arguing for.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think so, I haven't heard anything on it if we are. Was it in a prac?
It was scheduled during prac times but was also one of the assignments so if you know nothing about it, looks like Kurt ended up ditching it.

RishBonjour

HSC

I personally, don't need a difference - happy with how the university is - Business school isn't affected - hence most of the people I know couldn't care less (even lecturers don't care).
I find it pathetic how quite a few people get so emotional about it (not surprisingly - most are more involved in uni politics than graduating with good grades).
I personally don't mind the strikes - they are pretty negligible - "every time you cross the picket fence a unicorn dies" - most convincing thing I heard last time - Other than that - mehhhh.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
It has dragged on, yeah. I really think we should've done something big at the start before it got out of hand. I think there needed to be more information spread about what was going on in a more direct way.

I have nfi how you got this. I think it's valid for students to go to class if they still have classes scheduled. I also think it's very easy for people to go 'yay day off' if their classes are cancelled. I would like those students for whom classes are cancelled to join the strike.

I think a lot don't understand what is going on. Or maybe I like to think that. Universities are traditionally a hotbed of leftist ideas and such ways of thinking would support what the strike is standing for.

I find it difficult to believe that most students would disagree with a plan that aims to get more security for our staff, and thereby encourage better teachers to stay for longer. As someone who has had 3/4 of their lecturers explain what the strike means to them, why they are striking, and the broader impact of the strikes, I feel compelled to support them. I really wish more students were the same.
People going "I SHALL STAY AT HOME TO SUPPORT THE STRIKE. SOLIDARITY TO THE WORKERS, MY COMRADE!" and people going "lulz day off" have the exact same effect upon the strike.

And you seemed to be getting frustrated that people weren't supporting the strike, but you also say it's okay for people to go to class if there classes are on. Like, not going to class because your classes aren't on isn't really striking...

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I find it difficult to believe that most students would disagree with a plan that aims to get more security for our staff, and thereby encourage better teachers to stay for longer. As someone who has had 3/4 of their lecturers explain what the strike means to them, why they are striking, and the broader impact of the strikes, I feel compelled to support them. I really wish more students were the same.
I think every student would love for staff to either maintain/improve their working conditions but on the same merit, they would like to see the University make a financially appropriate decision.

Students are also hesitant supporting the strike if they don't agree with all the proposals put forward by the NTEU. There are some proposals I agree with myself but there are others I don't so I'm not compelled to actively support something if I don't agree with it 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)