Serious Advice Only: Passing P Exam (1 Viewer)

dv3

HSC
Hey all, i thought it would be a good idea for a Stickied thread that includes advice for people who just completed their Learner hours and soon will be undertaking the driving exam to get their P's.

I for one havent gone for my P's yet (but have already booked 3 weeks in advance :) ). Now for those people who have their P's, what advice would you give to those people who are going for their P's? Is there anything you need learn in specific? What is there to look out for when taking the exam? How long (generally) does the driving test take? etc (these are just example questions, please feel free to add more).

I will keep an eye on this thread and update this post weekly, so whenever a user clicks on this thread page, they would automatically see the information displayed rather than reading a whole 10 or so pages. :haha:

P.S Serious Advice Only i.e. Dont add illogical stuff like "Dont push the tester out the door while driving"

Thanks.

Tips For Passing P's Exam
What Not To Do!
1. Don't Speed (Instant Fail)
2. Don't Cause Any Accidents (Instant Fail)
3. No Bribing RTA Driving Examiner (Instant Fail)
4. No Cheating (Instant Fail)
5. Dont do more than 5 turns in a 3 point turn (Instant Fail)
6. When doing a 3 point turn or reverse park or something dont let the car touch the bumper (2 points deducted)

What To Do!
1. Relax and Dont Get Stressed
2. Constantly Check Mirrors when driving especially when turning, approaching a give way sign, pedestrian crossings, changing lanes etc.
3. Indicate 5 seconds before a corner/pulling out from a curb
4. When Parking, park within the lines (i.e. not over or on)
5. Indicate which way your going i.e. left or right on either a corner, roundabout, changing lanes etc.
6. When Leaving a roundabout indicate left just before coming off
7. Check mirrors and blind spot before pulling out of a curb
8. While checking mirrors and blind-spots make sure you move both your eyes and head

Driving Technique Summary
3 Point Turn
"Comming Soon"

Reverse Parallel Park
"Comming Soon"

Last edited:

tiggaman

HSC
Just relax and dont get too stressed if you know you made a mistake

tiggaman

HSC
Oh and even if you think you may have flunked you might still be surprised to find you have passed

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
Oh and even if you think you may have flunked you might still be surprised to find you have passed
yeah thats what it was like with me...

though i reckon if i had a different tester i would of failed

just the usual things

- dont speed (instant fail)
- constant mirror checks
- dont cause an accident
- indicate 5 seconds before a corner/pulling out
- give way when necessary (especially emergency vehicles ((instant fail)))
- park inside the lines... on or over is a fail item or on the gutter (instant fail)
- no more than 5 movements in a 3 point turn
- no bribing or cheating

thats about it...

lychnobity

HSC
ITT: lazy bosers who cbf searching threads for advice on Ps test.

Don't speed, indicate for 5 secs before changing lanes
do head checks before changing lanes
indicate to go in double laned roundabouts, indicate to exit (it's always to the left), and check blindspots
Pay attention to all traffic signs

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Nah don't bag out the OP, I genuinely think this thread is a good idea, seeing as the RTA, the governing body of the roads in this state, does not disclose such information in any of its numerous publications.

We can only learn from others.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
RTA is honestly the worst government department
after health OBVIOUSLY

but yeah they are fuckheads
doing business dealings with them is painful to say the least

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
I'm yet to do my P's, but apparently you have to make it obvious that you are checking your mirrors regularly. Don't just move your eyes, move your head up as well. Also beware of the invisible Stop Signs

sickk

HSC
best little book you can get from the RTA "a guide to the driving test" has every little tip and trick for passing the p's test (like when to head check, how far your able to reverse in a reverse park, how your actually able to do a 3point turn in 5 points... which is fucked), also all the instant fails and stuff you should know

JB10

HSC
Just read "A guide to the driving test"
Know EVERYTHING.
CHECK YOUR MIRRORS.

(Bumping the gutter on a reverse park or 3 point turn is only a 1 point deduction)

dv3

HSC
How long does the driving test usually go for? How many points are there all together? How many things do they test you on?

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
Oh and wait til you go PAST a speed sign before hitting the accelerator..

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
How long does the driving test usually go for? How many points are there all together? How many things do they test you on?
theoretically the new test is 45 minutes or something, but based on my own experience and that of my friends, in reality it's 20-30. but it'll vary depending on traffic conditions etc.

in total there are 100 possible points, plus a few extra depending on how many hazards you encounter during the test. pass mark is 90%, but unless you're a really bad driver i think it would be hard to fail on points. you're much more likely to fail on one of the specific fail items which are listed in the driving test handbook.

most of the test is just driving around - they expect you to maintain appropriate speed for the conditions, steer the car properly, obey road markings, signs and traffic lights, and just generally drive safely. you'll also have to do a few manoeuvres such as a three-point turn, kerbside stop, reverse park, etc.

JB10

HSC
Exactly, it is very rare to score less than 90%. I got 98/103.

You only ever fail on the 'automatic fails' basically.

DON'T SPEED.
STOP AT STOP SIGNS.
INDICATE AND CHECK BLIND SPOTS. Everytime you indicate - check your blind spot! On the kerb side stop and everything.

benv

HSC
Depends really
If you go when its packed then the test is generally shorter as they try to accomodate alot more people...
There are 105 points that are attainable in the feedback sheet
They test you on two main things (i.e. reverse parking, reverse parallel parking, forward parking, kerb side stop, three point turn etc etc)
The rest of it is made up of your normal stuff such as indicating...checking mirrors...following instructions etc

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I was told anything of 1-2km over is an instant fail. As is 10km or more below the limit.

Indicating left when leaving a roundabout is an easy one to forget.

(Bumping the gutter on a reverse park or 3 point turn is only a 1 point deduction)
A friend of mine got told this as well. As long as you can fix your mistake, its not an instant fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)