Servers (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Near the trials I noticed BOS was down a lot, and I bet near the HSC the load on the website now will probably be even worse. Are you doing everything you can to ensure maximum up time :p?

dolbinau

HSC
I do, especially if I need access to notes :p. You're what, in year 10? Of course it doesn't matter to you.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
janaranaran! said:
i haven't been able open boredofstudies.org since 6 this morning. I'm assuming all the 08'ers are itching to use SAM like I am - am I going to be able to use it at all today?
did you try other methods of estimating your UAI like einstein or JUAI?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Please BOS buy a new server! I saw the article in the SMH on the weekend and couldn't believe it was being run from some crappy old server in James King's bedroom. Can we start a paypal donation scheme?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Please BOS buy a new server! I saw the article in the SMH on the weekend and couldn't believe it was being run from some crappy old server in James King's bedroom. Can we start a paypal donation scheme?
I think BOS might be able to get some decent amount of donations.

I know that I will be one of the donors. :D

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
lyounamu said:
I think BOS might be able to get some decent amount of donations.

I know that I will be one of the donors. :D
Yeah, ultimate lag now........... :(

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
BOS uses dedicated servers located in Texas.

dp624

HSC
Does it, wow. But it still gets down?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
dp624 said:
Does it, wow. But it still gets down?
Yes - we have survived so far by adding hardware to the servers ad hoc as the need has arisen, but it's become clear over the past year that we need completely new infrastructure.

SAM was hammered yesterday and the servers just couldn't take it.

We've already started recruiting a team to redesign the whole site (including the forums) and to reconfigure the servers to remedy the performance issues as well as address a number of the other problems people have experienced over the past year.

This is really why premium membership was introduced - in an attempt to raise some funds so that this can occur. The site has clearly grown beyond something that can be maintained by a few code jockeys in their bedrooms.

A lot will be happening next year. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You mean we're not going to see the ugly blue anymore :(

RIP!

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
The site has clearly grown beyond something that can be maintained by a few code jockeys in their bedrooms.
This site isn't that bad compared to others that I've seen in terms of activity. Are the servers' services seperated (ie. dedicated server for mysql and web)?

What are the specs like?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
John Oliver said:
Nothing will happen within the next year. If you can't build a simple scalable system that can take up to 100,000 hits per second to run on substandard hardware then something's gone hideously wrong.

Come on you guys are supposed to be talented.
We never set out to build a scalable system, or any particular type of system at all. The site started as a few pages we threw together in our free time, with no real consideration given to growth, and over the years we have grafted more and more on to that poorly designed core.

Now that we all have careers, free time has dramatically reduced, which means we aren't in a position to start from scratch ourselves - else we would have done so two years ago. Employing others to do the work for us required money that we didn't have, so we endeavoured to raise some, and you've no doubt seen that most of our efforts have had that flavour over the past two years.

We're finally in a position where we can start considering options that will make a real difference to the site, and should come to fruition late next year.

jm01 said:
This site isn't that bad compared to others that I've seen in terms of activity. Are the servers' services seperated (ie. dedicated server for mysql and web)?

What are the specs like?
There are dedicated servers for the www and community subdomains as well as one for mysql. The problem isn't so much the adequacy of the hardware as the way in which the servers are configured - which is very sub-optimal.

Reworking that configuration by aiming for an optimal solution (rather than the solution which requires the least effort) is part of the plan to fix the performance issues.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Yeah I did feel that the servers weren't fully optimized which is why I asked you. I've seen a forum with about 300-500 cocurrent users being run on a Celeron with 512MB RAM a few years ago.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Oh cool, that's exciting to see some changes to BOS.

If it's possible please keep us updated of progress being made. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Wow, I am looking forward to the site's transformation next year!!! :uhhuh:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
John Oliver said:
In regards to vbulletin there are a few really simple caching extensions you can throw in that will substantially increase performance under load, have a look into them in the not too distant future.
Yep, eAccelerator or some other caching extentions can really reduce load.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)