sets x reps for weight gain. (1 Viewer)

bob fossil

HSC
I have been going to the gym for about seven months about 3-5times a week. I dont follow a program and i dont do any work from the waist down. Each session i spend 1.5-2 hours on upper body.

I have been 3 sets of 10 reps for allmy weights sence i started and have put on about 7kgmaking me 75kg

I am about to up my protein intake to 150g of protein a day with whey protien conc.

To increase size most efficently should i stay with 3x10 or do i move to somthing like 4x7?

Also do i build the weight over the 3 or 4 sets or do i try to maintain a max load over the 4?

kfnmpah

HSC
Don't spend more than an hour at the gym. Leave atleast 48 hours between working the same muscle group. Drink a protein shake 30-40 minutes after your workout, made with water, not milk.
uuuum...3 sets of 8-12 at the highest weight you can go so you almost die at 11 is probs most beneficial
Leave exactly 45 seconds between sets because this is the time at which the lactic acid production is maimised, burning fat and releasing growth hormone, so you'll build muscle sliiightly easier with strict rests...
Eat 250 grams of cottage cheese before bed, it's slow release protein.

That's all i can think of right now, if somthing pops into my head, i'll pizzost it (Y)
Hope this has helped

PSHL

HSC
Periodise your training - in other words don't just use 3 x 10 all the time. Use various rep ranges, from 1-20. Centre most of your workouts on reps between 6-12 but sticking solely to this range isn't optimal. Low, heavy reps work on maximal strength meaning you can lift more weight in all rep ranges = bigger muscles. Low reps also stimulate myofibrillar hypertrophy - a thickening of the proteins responsible for muscle contraction (and of course a bigger muscle).
And higher reps induces sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which is basically an increase in sarcoplasmic fluid ie also a bigger muscle.

y don't u train lower body?

Stormey

HSC
For strength training;

1-3 reps of RM will be best for strength training. 3-5 mins rest between each set
4-6 reps of RM will be best for maximum strength by stimulating the muscle hypertrophy (In other words, muscle growth). 2-3 mins rest between each set
6-12 reps of RM will be best for muscle size, with moderate gains in strength. 2-3 mins rest between each set

For all 3 methods, you can do 3-6 sets.
12-20 reps of RM will be best for muscle size and endurace. 1-3 mins rest between each set.

If you go for any of the first 3 programs, your lifts should be at a fast pace. If you go for the endurance one at the end, your lifts should be at a medium pace.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
might aswell summarise it for you:

Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Barbell Row, Overhead Press.

Zozo6969

HSC
20g of creatine is too much, recommended 5-10g a day max. 140 grams protein postworkout is a fucking waste and a half, ur body can only process 30-40 grams an hour. take a serve of protein which is about 30-40 grams, then eat something with protein an hour or 2 later. should aim to have minimal to no fat after workout but u can have a bit of fast release (ie. high gi) carbs after, like sugar, bread etc. maybe 10-20 grams.

and bodybuilders arent all jerks u ignorant fuck.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
For strength training;

1-3 reps of RM will be best for strength training. 3-5 mins rest between each set
4-6 reps of RM will be best for maximum strength by stimulating the muscle hypertrophy (In other words, muscle growth). 2-3 mins rest between each set
6-12 reps of RM will be best for muscle size, with moderate gains in strength. 2-3 mins rest between each set

12-20 reps of RM will be best for muscle size and endurace. 1-3 mins rest between each set.

If you go for any of the first 3 programs, your lifts should be at a fast pace. If you go for the endurance one at the end, your lifts should be at a medium pace.
This pretty much.

friction

HSC
StrongLifts 5×5 Beginner Strength Training Program | StrongLifts.com

Taking 150g of protein won't necessarily make you bigger. Eat more of carbs/ everything so that you have a surplus of calories, and train hard. Probably working lower body with squatz and deadlifts will help you gain mass.
First good post of this thread.

To get big first thing is diet. Eat a calorie surplus. How much over depends on how fast u put the weight on and how fast u put it on determines how much fat you put on. Protein up it to above 1g per pound of bodyweight and eat an approximately 40/40/20 protein carb fat diet should work.

With the weight lifting i dont know whether you are a bigger or not. so with 7 months u really shouldnt be a beginner but im going to guess you are.

For a beginner you should do a beginner program such as the 5x5 program mentioned above or starting strength or rippetoes program or something like that. They are all very similar focusing on compound lifts and lifting heavy.

If you are intermediate then you might htink about splitting your workouts with a 3day split or a 4day split with one rest day after the 3 or 4 days. with this you split your bodyparts and focus on jsut a few a day hitting them with various different exercises for different results, if u do not know what you are doing do not do this.

But getting back to your original question, there is no set sets/reps for weight gain. As someone else said you should be using a few different rep ranges but it more depends on the movement rather than anything else. Usually for hypertrophy one would for 5-8 reps for compount movements and 8-12 for isolation exercises. Also one thing u need to make sure of is your form dont try and lift as heavy weight as you cna there is no use if you form is dogdy so focus on form first then lifitng heavy. Another key tool is using overload principles such as supersets, dropsets, forced reps etc etc.

go to bodybuilding.com it has all the info you will need from people that are much more knowledgable then me.

friction

HSC
For strength training;

Rests are too long. i wouldnt recommend someone like him doing any less then 5 reps. Reps should never be "fast" paced. They may be explosive but never fast paced. Should always be controlled and the negative should always be quiet slow.

Stormey

HSC
Rests are too long. i wouldnt recommend someone like him doing any less then 5 reps. Reps should never be "fast" paced. They may be explosive but never fast paced. Should always be controlled and the negative should always be quiet slow.
Actually the rests timing are good. Having a 3 min rest allows for the ATP/PC system to regenerate, providing more energy for those short spouts of activity where energy is needed for around 10 seconds or explosive bursts.

The ATP/PC in the muscle takes 3 mins of inactivity/rest to restore to around 98%, and 10mins to restore back to 100%.

Feel free to google 'ATP/PC systems' if you want.

Also, by 'fast' paced, I mean explosive lifts. However, always make sure you have control over your weights. Don't swing them around.

Last edited:

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
For some reason i think everyone missed my post...

Let him read and find his own way... (with a few prods in the right direction ofcourse)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)