Votes: 147 68.7%
  • Won't

Votes: 67 31.3%

• Total voters

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
yy said:
sleep with a different person every day doens't mean you're gonna catch aids, many people catch aids when they're in a monogamy relationship. i wonder how many % of people get aids are actually promiscuous.
and yes, there are successful relationships, but they don't need a certificate to prove it. people who love each other can stay together without getting married. and many gay people probably are in that situation.
and before anyone attacks gays, my boyfriend's parents are still together, after decades, have three children, still love each other and to this day are still not married.

BradCube

HSC
yy said:
i don't believe in marriage, because it's just a piece of paper (well, also it could affect centrelink payments and superannuation, i suppose). but other than that, you can still get divorced anyway. it is supposedly be forever, and most people believe it will be forever, but people change, situations change, and they realise they're not for each other. it's better to divorce than become eternally frustrated. so from that aspect, marriage not that much better than de facto. mind you, religious people also get divorced nowadays. it's just that people always thought the other partner is the right one when they're in love, but stay a while longer, and problems start to occur. why do you put so much meaning in marriage anyway?
Me explaining all my values, probably won't make a lot of sense because with your reasoning they seem completely absurd. So to make sure I am not shoving my own values down your throat, I will give a reason that still may make sense.

To me when married, not only do the wife and husband realise they become a couple, but the entire community of witnesses recongnise that they are now one together. Even the changing of last names reflects this to show that both are now one.

To me the recognition that you both are now uniting together as one gives marriage the difference. You are not merely two people living together, but rather a new creation, that works and cares for each other. You become "we", rather than I. Or even "we" rather than two "I's".

Of course this is assuming we live in a perfect world, where people do treat each other properly, and when they don't there is forgiveness in the relationship. Unfortunatley, we don't live in that world, and people either give up or do not show integrity to make the relationship work.

Even this may not be making any sense, I'll be interested to hear your opinion anyway though. :)

Last edited:

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Sex before marriage is completely impossible for me if you can't actually get married. But i've been there done that bough the tshirt and would say my choice has served me well.

karoooh

HSC
I believe in sex before marriage. I mean, it's most probable that when you meet that someone and it feels right, you'd do it, unless you believe it sex after marriage of course. I don't have anything against the idea of sex after marriage or people who believe in it, but what happens if you were both crap? I know you're meant to love each other a lot to have to ignore the ohysical aspect, but it plays as much as role as the emotional aspect.

I too, don't believe in marriage... Paper doesn't really prove anything. But I don't completely reject the idea of marriage; I'd let my career go before marriage because I don't believe/ see myself getting married in my 20's. My 30's maybe - And there's nothing wrong with either of that! Divorce rates are increasing and it would be really messy to be in that situation with children involved, and I'd prefer it if my kids didn't have to see it like that. And I don't everything to be 'ours' - Sure, that sounds selfish; sharing is caring! But I want what I worked for; not to have it given to a/n dead-beat/arsehole of a husband (this is assuming I end up with one in the first place)!

Oh, and because we're on this topic, I'd adopt children before I'd have my own, because there are tonnes if kids out there who need a a family and someone to care for them. If I end up pregnant, I'll have the kid and I'll figure what happens then depending on the circumstance. Right now though and for the next 10 yrs+ I don't like the idea of children, because generally, I don't like children. :p

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i believe that you share it with a person you love...whether that means with the person you are married to or someone you are going out with the intention should always be the same..for love. Sounds corny but thats the way i see it. I voted will cos u cant change things and i wouldnt

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I spose I'll wait... I dunno its a real trust thing with me... Id have to really trust them, and trust that they would be there no matter what happens, I have to trust that they wont get rid of me afterwards.

I need to know that they are commited to me, the relationship and the outcome of us having sex... plus Id really truely have to love them and they would have to prove that they really truely love me back...and I couldnt imagine sharing any of those feelings with someone I wasnt married to or at least going to marry.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
yy said:
sleep with a different person every day doens't mean you're gonna catch aids, many people catch aids when they're in a monogamy relationship. i wonder how many % of people get aids are actually promiscuous.
and yes, there are successful relationships, but they don't need a certificate to prove it. people who love each other can stay together without getting married. and many gay people probably are in that situation.
don't get a certificate, then don't get womans rights, don't get property when u seperate, have no guarantee for ur kids future...sure.

mils_e

HSC
hi

mmmmm, i wont have sex before i get married. tis because of what i believe, but even if i didnt believe what i do i wouldnt have sex before marriage. people seem to think marriage is the end of your life, it is if u see it like that. i see marriage as just another adventure, just happens to be with someone i love. it is because of that that i wont have sex before i get married because i want to save myself for the wonderful girl i will marry, the girl i love.

i also see that if u dont hold marriage as great as i do then u wouldnt agree, cant disagree with someones point of view

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sparkl3z said:
don't get a certificate, then don't get womans rights, don't get property when u seperate, have no guarantee for ur kids future...sure.
did you read my post?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
sparkl3z said:
de facto rights....

yy

HSC
N/A
sparkl3z said:
what has marriage got to do with women's rights now? and aren't you saying that the rich one (that may very well be me, mmm...) is better off NOT getting married?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
mils_e said:
mmmmm, i wont have sex before i get married. tis because of what i believe, but even if i didnt believe what i do i wouldnt have sex before marriage. people seem to think marriage is the end of your life, it is if u see it like that. i see marriage as just another adventure, just happens to be with someone i love. it is because of that that i wont have sex before i get married because i want to save myself for the wonderful girl i will marry, the girl i love.

i also see that if u dont hold marriage as great as i do then u wouldnt agree, cant disagree with someones point of view
have you had sugar before? if not why dont you save that for marriage aswell? sugar is sooo nice and i beleive its important to share that with someone you are married to, not necessarily love because, you know, love isnt important, i only care if you have a peice of paper and the same last name, which unfortunately leaves the clause for relatives to have sex, but meh what can you do? Catholic hhistory is full of incest, and those crazy Europeans dont seem to have anything against it

in conclusion, save everything good in life for marriage, you will need those first experiences later when you are living in your own personal hell [ wedlock]

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
So, sparkl3z is obviously going to get married just for the money.

I can't see any profitable reason to marry over defacto... in the eyes of the law, there aint much difference. Marriage is a piece of paper bearing out centuries of religious domination of the human race :)
If I'm with the person I love, who cares if we have a piece of paper or not?

"ofcourse unless they don't want commitment and want to sleep with a different person every day catch aids and be sick for the rest of their lives etc......."
So if you're not married, you automatically turn into a slut? So since I assume you're not married, are you sleeping with different people every day right now?
Sorry, I forgot, no sex before marriage. Too bad.

And why

mils_e

HSC
Serius said:
have you had sugar before? if not why dont you save that for marriage aswell? sugar is sooo nice and i beleive its important to share that with someone you are married to, not necessarily love because, you know, love isnt important, i only care if you have a peice of paper and the same last name, which unfortunately leaves the clause for relatives to have sex, but meh what can you do? Catholic hhistory is full of incest, and those crazy Europeans dont seem to have anything against it

in conclusion, save everything good in life for marriage, you will need those first experiences later when you are living in your own personal hell [ wedlock]
lol, fair enough. good work on the catholic call but the question i have is why get married if not for love, what would any other reason be? i think sugar is a bit different to sex, but i dont really know what u were trying to say. thanks for your comment

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I don't know why people place so much emphasis on sex, and particularly virginity.
It's rarely pleasant the first time, and sex, while wonderful and fantastic, is about 0 on the 1-100000 scale of important things in the world. Don'tget me wrong, I love sex a lot. But seriously, why the importance. Of course, I don't see anyone who's HAD sex saying they'd change their mind and save it for marriage... So it's only the people who have never had sex and therefore have no idea who put this holiness on it and stick it on a pedestal. It's just sex. Seriously.

BradCube

HSC
Josie said:
I don't know why people place so much emphasis on sex, and particularly virginity.
It's rarely pleasant the first time, and sex, while wonderful and fantastic, is about 0 on the 1-100000 scale of important things in the world. Don'tget me wrong, I love sex a lot. But seriously, why the importance. Of course, I don't see anyone who's HAD sex saying they'd change their mind and save it for marriage... So it's only the people who have never had sex and therefore have no idea who put this holiness on it and stick it on a pedestal. It's just sex. Seriously.
I've heard a heap of people say that they wish that they had of waited until marriage. Not here on the forums, but people who are married and have the ability to look back on their past as teens (eg. not oursleves).

Why the importance? Because sex bonds two people together in a way nothing else can. Surely you wouldn't say that after your first time you didn't feel closer to the person you shared it with?

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
BradCube said:
I've heard a heap of people say that they wish that they had of waited until marriage. Not here on the forums, but people who are married and have the ability to look back on there past as teens (eg. not oursleves).
that doesnt surprise me in the slightest.

considering, if you looked back on your earlier girlfriends/boyfriends, you think, god fucking damnit what the fuck was i thinking? or, to a lesser degree, they'd probably have no chance with you today.

you mature, you (hopefully) improve your standards etc by wanting different or new qualities in a partner, and hence looking back in the teen days when you lost your virginity, of course you'll think wtf.

In saying so, I'm not normally one to regret anything.

- Messiah -

HSC
N/A
Im not one to participate in such threads, but oh well, I have an opinion.

Voted NO.

If your gonna fuck, might as well do it after marriage, and with a person who hasnt fucked in their life before. The way I see it, I'd rather fuck a clean, unused genital, than one that has been used serveral times.

Last edited:

BradCube

HSC
Serius said:
have you had sugar before? if not why dont you save that for marriage aswell?
You gotta' be joking right? Comparing sex to sugar? Sure both are great, but sugar does not bring two people together in anywhere near the capacity that sex does.

Serius said:
...with someone you are married to, not necessarily love because, you know, love isnt important,
Also if you are going to marry someone, of course you love them. If love wasn't important then why would you even be getting married?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)