Shadowdude's EX2 Major Work (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Because the 2010 Showcase has disappeared off the face of the Earth and I've always gotten some requests from people to read what I wrote, I'm making this thread as a permanent 'home' for it so I can direct people to it instead of replying "Oh sorry, yeah it got deleted off the forums".

A certain PM from a certain person here asking to read it was the last straw and I resolved myself to post it here for posterity so I can reply with a link instead of apologies.

So anyway, I wrote a Short Story entitled "Jeopardy!", it got 47/50 externally. I did Extension 2 English for the 2010 HSC.

View attachment RS1.doc - Reflection Statement
View attachment EX2 Major Work original.doc - Major Work

It is a pastiche of genres, overall it's some sort of drama, feel good story, humourous, (Harlequin) romantic fiction and post-modernist modernist tale.

Last edited:

Titangod77

HSC
Wow ur my mentor, that's brilliant,

I am currently doing extension 2 English as well (this year 2012) thanks for sharing your story,

If it was okay could ask you for one bit of advice for the introduction of my short story.. Please pm if you say yes

Thanks (the cult of personality is the theme song for CM Punk)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sure, I'll help you with your introduction.

And aha, someone gets the wrestling reference. Nice.

So if I say... "BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!" you'll get what I mean?

Titangod77

HSC
Yea lol I get ur reference.

U c my draft is due on Monday, I am almost half way there. These are my two introductions:

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Quick question: I'm only a year 10 student so I really wouldn't know anything about this but anyways, would you recommend 4unit English? (considering factors such as enjoyment, time, work load and stress)

This is because I think there's a lot of effort needed to achieve the marks. I'm interested in English, but I'm just unsure if I should reach the 4unit level.

Titangod77

HSC
Well I suggest u should wait till mid year 11 at least,

Because ur English skills improve as time goes on,

For example I was one of the worst English students in year 10, but afterwards something happened - I just clicked and found interest and ever since I am getting better and better close to third place. And hopefully this year 1st.

Anyway, just see what ATAR do u need, and what subject you require, (again ur in year 10 so u don't need to worry) enjoy the year while it lasts.

But wait for shadows reply he's a billion times better. Hope it helps =)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Thanks for the advice! I was only curious as to what people actually did in that subject and to what sort of people had potential to do it.

asdfqwerty

HSC
Quick question: I'm only a year 10 student so I really wouldn't know anything about this but anyways, would you recommend 4unit English? (considering factors such as enjoyment, time, work load and stress)

This is because I think there's a lot of effort needed to achieve the marks. I'm interested in English, but I'm just unsure if I should reach the 4unit level.
I'm doing 4U atm. All I can say is that it's a lot of work. Sometimes, things don't go the way you originally intended. It's manageable when you know what you're going to do. Researching is a blessing but also a punishment at the same time.

If you're passionate about something, then give 4U a go.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I recommend 4u English if you have a passion for writing/directing or whatever it is you want to do for it, and/or you have some sort of idea of where you want to go with it.

For me that was "I like writing, I'll write a story". It took me three months to figure out what sort of story I was going to do, and a further eight months - up until virtually the last day - to finalise that story. But of course I took breaks and all that stuff too.

By the time the end of Year 11 comes up, you should know the answer to the question: "Should I do EX2?" yourself.

albeitunique

HSC
I'm so glad I came across this, thank you so much for posting this Shadowdude. I've got my Ext 2 draft due in about an hour and wasn't really sure about the reflection statement. This really helped me understand what is meant to go in :) :D

Chrasity

HSC
I'd just like to say that I really enjoyed your story and so glad you got good marks! Shame you didn't get into Showcase though :(
I'm also doing Extension 2 and I'm having a lot of trouble with the reflection statement... do you have any tips?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thanks! Yeah, I would've liked to been in the Showcase - but all those blank pages would look a bit fishy :p

Anyways, the Reflection Statement is basically you explaining what you were trying to do with the work. Remember that if you start writing about... Israeli-Palestinian conflicts or something, most, if not all markers, would have zero clue about it, so in your Reflection Statement - you outline the inspirations for your work, how your work evolved from those inspirations, and that sort of thing.

You also cover the 'journey' you took in writing it. So the best help you can have for a good Reflection Statement, is a good Journal where you can get material from.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Extension 2 was probably one of the most worthwhile courses I did because you come out of it feeling super accomplished because you've made a significant piece of work. It's a lot of time and effort, I used to set aside 4 hours a week outside class just for it, which was a lot considering it's only a 1 unit subject. You can't just sit and wait for inspiration to come to you, you really need to work consistently on it all year.

It also has one of the highest drop out rates of any subject at my school. We had 43 people start and ended with only 19 people by the end.

nifkeh

HSC
Extension 2 was probably one of the most worthwhile courses I did because you come out of it feeling super accomplished because you've made a significant piece of work. It's a lot of time and effort, I used to set aside 4 hours a week outside class just for it, which was a lot considering it's only a 1 unit subject. You can't just sit and wait for inspiration to come to you, you really need to work consistently on it all year.

It also has one of the highest drop out rates of any subject at my school. We had 43 people start and ended with only 19 people by the end.
sorry for being off topic kind of, but your HSC year under your avatar is 2014...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)