Shall i take PHY OR IPT????...plz help! (2 Viewers)

a_s

im gona b in yr 11 nxt year and already chosen my subjs but now im having doubts...im not sure which 1 will maximise my uai or which 1 im better at

ur advice will b gr8ly appreciated

btw is phy hard??

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
ipt shouldnt really be considered as a subject. at my school they only offer it accelerated in year nine. physics is a far better subject but what do you want to do at uni?

a_s

anything to do with medical/health/sci, but iv already chosen chem and bio so i dont necessarily have to take phy.

will there b more competition in phy or ipt???

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
more competition in physics because you are accountable to all the genius asians in your school (unless you are one of them)

7th Sign

HSC
ipt is very easy in year 11 but in year 12 their heaps more work
physics is hard both years and will boost your uai ipt will just stay the same might even drop u

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
dont do subjects cos of their scaling (i do 4u maths phy chem bio adv english n 1sor), and i do my subjects cos i enjoyy them not their scaling(not many ppl believe that)
there is a myth that doin all 3 science is a killer, it crap. phy is fun n simple, straght forward in yr 11, n a lil harder in yr 12 but u cant get hooked up on reletivity or ull kill urslef. :D
id suject phy 4 where ur looking 4, but wot ever u want.
if ur a good maths student ill recomend phy aswell...

a_s

can any1 give me like a brief summary of what u learn in ipt or phy. cus i went to the ipt forums and most of them have gotten deleted or sumthing cus thyr old.

yeh tru 'blackfriday, at my school therz mostly asians (not 1 myself tho), so i gotta b like the top in the class right to get a good hsc mark?, i guess i'll w8 till we have our first test/assessment and c how i go.

j.u.l.i.e

ipt has crappy scaling, and there is a lot of theory
my friends picked it coz she wanted to go into the computers after the hsc
however, for sum reason they all hate it now and wished they'd picked something else

physics on the other hand has changed alot since the old hsc
it was VERY mathematical based - alot like 4 unit maths
but now its quite theory based

i do physics and regret it v. much
depends on the person tho

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
physics sucks now because they re-wrote the course to make it easier for white girls, since it has so much more writing actual words in it than before. at physics you cant be merely just good, you gotta be a real beast and be committed to working hard in order to get a good mark. but if you wanna look up big titties at school then do ipt.

Scanorama

HSC
Crappy scaling doesnt mean crap UAI (Class of 2004 can tell you this). If you dont put any effort on any subject then forget about getting good mark. If you try your best on any subject like General maths, IPT, Hospitality etc, you will get a good mark. I did IPT in year 12, although it can get boring from time to time, however some of the stuff are common sense, i got band 5 for the subject.

a_s

hmm...

does any1 kno what the highest mark was in the past or for 2004, for ipt and phy?

Linda N

HSC
N/A
Two of my friends did IPT and they end up getting high 90s for that subject. IPT scales down but doesn’t scale down that much. I would personally choose IPT than Physics. Another friend of mine came in the top 10 at school for physics and got high 70s.

It varies. Choose a subject ur interested in that u could do well.

a_s

thnx that sorta helps linda

but do u no like around how much they scale ipt down?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Most people I talk to say IPT sucks. Remember you can take 12,13 or even 14 units in year 11. Some people have takne 16 before.

a_s

i really wanted to do ipt ANd phy to c which 1 i am better at....but nooo thnx to the stupid sch. putting them in the same lines, so i cant cus it'll clash. (aurgh!)...ANd since hardly any1 wants to do geo they're not even gona have a class for the yr 11s n 12s. wota stuffed up sch. aye...but i shouldnt b complaining cus sum dont even have ipt as a subj.

Linda N

HSC
N/A
a__s said:
thnx that sorta helps linda

but do u no like around how much they scale ipt down?
Hmm... im not sure about this. It depends how well u did in the exam against other ppl the state. But getting in the 90s for IPT i don't suppose it would scale down.

Some students chose science subjects, of how "prestigious" it is. In contrast, they didn't get an excellent HSC mark. Doing 3 science subjects is quite challenging and requires a lot of work. For me, 2 is enough.

Last edited:

a_s

yea i kno it wud b a challenge and i'll prob. get sick of sci...im starting to think i'll b better of with ipt

btw linda jus wondering what subjs ur doing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)