Should Australia be a Republic? (1 Viewer)

Do you support an Australian Republic? If so which model would you pick?

• Yes-Model 1

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • Yes-Model 2

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Yes-Model 3

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Yes-Model 4

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • Yes-Model 5

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Yes-Model 6

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • No

Votes: 44 44.9%

• Total voters

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Tbh it shouldn't be an independent panel: it should be 2/3 of parliament. Also the Republic is a convenient symbolic issue to distract Australia from the fact that the world is burning.
Yeah, that's a better idea.

ASNSWR127

HSC
alexdore993 said:
Hmm... yeah you could be right. I though Rudd chose Quentin Bryce though... but look at this... I think this is a bit ridiculous.
"The Governor-General is President of the Federal Executive Council and Commander-in-Chief of the Australian Defence Force.[1] "
that is not ridiculous at all!!

far better to have an un-elected person as CinC of the ADF. Esp as she is only the constitutional CinC ADF...

there is no reason to become a republic - when someone gives me a reason apart from 'reclaiming our naional spirit' or 'why not?' then I will be convinced.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hawkey said no to Charles for GG, so there you go monarchs.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
lol you're such a tool sometimes slidey. you google so much shit and then want to argue semantics.

you said wikipedia originally, see...right there:

who gives a fuck if u later edited and put the constitution in, i wasn't referring to that...and the fact remains the queen doesn't decide anymore in practice...she approves.

and if you had've read the wikipedia article properly, you would've seen an entire section on it...see..."Method of appointment"...which goes through all the wanky nuances of it:

argue about the meaning of decides if you want but in the truest sense of the word, the Prime Minister "decides" who the Governor General should be from amongst the suitable candidates and then presents this selection to the Monarch who officially "approves" or "appoints" the individual selected to the position.

Wank wank wank i win the semantics wank.
Um, I switched to the Governor General's site instead because wikipedia isn't 100% reliable as a primary source. Specifically that bit you bolded isn't sourced.

The GG's site says this: "The Governor-General is appointed by The Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister."

Which does not really imply your wikipedia-based claim that "the queen doesn't decide anymore in practice...she approves."

I mean, I'm willing to accept that the Queen is somehow constitutionally bound to act entirely on the advice of the PM, but I'm not just going to do so because you have a spack at me not completely adhering to wikipedia's interpretation of things.

Conclusion: cool the fuck off.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But she's only bound by convention. That's not to say that King Charles wont go ga-ga and ignore it. Perfectly legal!

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
conclusion: slidey is an argumentative wank that got owned and still can't let it go.
aww fuck up man. You're having a spack at me because I don't 100% trust wikipedia and checked a more reliable source. wtf.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
What's the point of changing the system? It's not like all the problems will suddenly be fixed by Australia becoming a Republic. The only change that will take place will be of a symbolic kind. Other than that, there really is no point in changing; I don't see any economic, technological, environmental etc. advantage which tells me that we should change, so why not just leave it just the way it is?

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Republic?

You must pronounce it like Palpatine

"I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two!" - Palpatine

"If they do, you must realize there aren't enough Jedi to protect the Republic. We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers." - Windu

Reh publik

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
The Greens will introduce a question (plebiscite) at the next election which asks voters "Do you support Australia becoming a republic?" It requires a simple yes or no response, and is not legally binding.

If there is sufficient support, the Government will undergo the necessary planning for a referendum.

http://greensmps.org.au/content/media-release/brown-calls-rudd-bring-republic-reform

I'll support a Republic as long as the current parliamentary style is maintained and we don't have a president.

I actually forgot that republicanism was one of the Greens policies, to be honest.

Eath16

HSC
Australia should be a republic. :uhhuh:

we need to have our own head of state

the royals need to get rid of their imbreeding selves

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
What? Again? Didn't we frickin vote on this like ten years ago?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
10 years is actually a fairly long time ago. Half our lives, for example.

The world's changing rapidly, and we've got a republican PM and Opposition leader. If they're going to do it, now's as good a time as any.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Kwayera said:
We will keep voting on it until it succeeds.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
No point with Liz around

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think she's woven into the current Australian story. She sort matured with us since our post-war boom; she is highly regarded around the world and widely loved by Australians. I'd even admit that I love our Queen
:shy:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Unleashed: Austerity Britain

People are turning to the Queen in the 'Austerity Britain' redescovered during this recession. A shift in the values of excess and greed over the last 20yrs or so and back to thrift and community, which Her Majesty has embodied since the war. A welcome shift back to what is truely British and what the world has always admired them for.
There's no way we can dump this Queen :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)