Should Australia be a Republic? (1 Viewer)

Do you support an Australian Republic? If so which model would you pick?

• Yes-Model 1

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • Yes-Model 2

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Yes-Model 3

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Yes-Model 4

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • Yes-Model 5

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Yes-Model 6

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • No

Votes: 44 44.9%

• Total voters

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
If we become a republic I would want to preserve our current parliamentary model. None of that president bullshit.

TBH, I don't really see the need or purpose. Status quo is fine?

rasengan90

HSC
ziki said:
OFCOUSE WE SHOULD BE REPUBLIC!
Few facts:
LONDON to PERTH 8983 MI/14457 KM

When UK decides to go war, Australia was FORCED to join and as a result
61,508 Died in World War 1
521 Died in Vietnam war
Australia suffered huge casualties at Anzac Cove because of the misleading information of the British.

Some might say that Britain is our mother country but thats more then 200 years ago! Australia is now a multiculture country.

Why should we let someone else control us? Why should we let our GREAT country men die for someone else? AND WHY should we let someone so far away take control of us??

Thus i believe that Australia should stand on its ground and become a Democratic republic. Democratic Republic of Australia... What an awesome name :haha:
Are you fucking retarded? Britain never set foot in Vietnam (apart from some peace keeping post WWII).

ziki

HSC
rasengan90 said:
Are you fucking retarded? Britain never set foot in Vietnam (apart from some peace keeping post WWII).
ziki said:
Okay, im not sure what vietnam is gotta do with this.... :p
Sorry my bad :(

Trefoil said:
ziki said:
We werent forced? We were EXPECTED to help....
sorry about the mis using of word xD

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Of course we were expected to help. We'd still be expected to help Britain (and we'd be fairly proud to do so). That's what happens when you're somebody's ally...

ziki

HSC
Trefoil said:
Of course we were expected to help. We'd still be expected to help Britain (and we'd be fairly proud to do so). That's what happens when you're somebody's ally...
but if we were republic we would have our own generals and commanders instead of taking orders from British..

rasengan90

HSC
ziki said:
but if we were republic we would have our own generals and commanders instead of taking orders from British..
Uuuuuuh... Pretty sure we have that now and have had for a very long time. In the World Wars Australia was part of combined forces under the Americans/British because no matter now nationalistic you are the fact is Australia is small compared to those superpowers and would not have done well on its own. Even then there were still Australian generals. Are you saying it is the 'Red Coats' shouting orders at the 'diggers' over in Afghanistan?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
ziki said:
a) we already have our own generals and commanders
b) we don't take orders from the British

ziki

HSC
Trefoil said:
a) we already have our own generals and commanders
b) we don't take orders from the British
okay, so we act like an independent country and we ARE. Why shouldnt we be republic then ?? are you for or against? :p

impervious182

HSC
ziki said:
okay, so we act like an independent country and we ARE. Why shouldnt we be republic then ?? are you for or against? :p
You don't just change to a republic over night.... it seems to me like a lot of effort for nothing.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Re: Should Australia be a Republic.

Optophobia said:
Why try to fix something that isn't broken?quote]

agreed.
i don't condone the waste of time being spent speculating over changes to parts of the system which function more than satisfactorily already.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
ziki said:
Against. We are a pretty much a de facto Republic already. I really don't care about de jure, especially when it could change some things that aren't broken.

Perhaps one change that would be worth making is having the Governor General appointed by a independent panel instead of the Queen.

ziki

HSC
Trefoil said:
Against. We are a pretty much a de facto Republic already. I really don't care about de jure, especially when it could change some things that aren't broken.

Perhaps one change that would be worth making is having the Governor General appointed by a independent panel instead of the Queen.
i believe that the governor general is appointed by a prime minister? isnt it?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
ziki said:
i believe that the governor general is appointed by a prime minister? isnt it?
I thought that too, but wikipedia says it's the Queen.

Anyway, a GG appointed by the PM would be no better - he'd be potentially too partisan.

Edit: according to the Constitution:

A Governor-General appointed by the Queen shall be Her Majesty’s representative in the Commonwealth, and shall have and may exercise in the Commonwealth during the Queen’s pleasure, but subject to this Constitution, such powers and functions of the Queen as Her Majesty may be pleased to assign to him.

Last edited:

nikolas

HSC
Trefoil said:
I thought that too, but wikipedia says it's the Queen.

Anyway, a GG appointed by the PM would be no better - he'd be potentially too partisan.

Edit: according to the Constitution:
I think the way it works is that the Pm basically recommends a GG, and the Queen says yes/no, not sure though.

impervious182

HSC
nikolas said:
I think the way it works is that the Pm basically recommends a GG, and the Queen says yes/no, not sure though.
Hmm... yeah you could be right. I though Rudd chose Quentin Bryce though... but look at this... I think this is a bit ridiculous.

"The Governor-General is President of the Federal Executive Council and Commander-in-Chief of the Australian Defence Force.[1] "

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Tbh it shouldn't be an independent panel: it should be 2/3 of parliament. Also the Republic is a convenient symbolic issue to distract Australia from the fact that the world is burning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)