• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should conscription be re-introduced in 21st Century Australia? (1 Viewer)

Should conscription be re-introduced in 21st Century Australia?

• Total voters
HSC
i can see the benefits of having conscription these days, or at least compulsory military training after high school, heaps of ppl take a gap year anyway. the military exisists to protect Australia and our allies in the event of a conflict in any part of the world, but they aren't going to send you to iraq or afgahnastan if you can't fire a rifle; they don't want to have to write to your family and tell them youre dead, then have to go to the expense of bringing your body home and giving you a funeral, i mean come on.
military training would be benificial in many ways, including fighting obesity and instilling some discipline and/or maturity in the ppl coming out of school, it would do a lot of good. plus, heaps of other countries have it eg isreal, and theres nothing half-arsed about Isreal's military (or intelegence gathering oragnisation, read Mossad, although thats another story)
get your hand off it m8

i bet there are plenty of your peers out there who are fitter, more discipline and mature than you already and omg they havent had military training/service, forced upon them.

but please tell me more about this mossad wot are they

E

Empyrean444

i can see the benefits of having conscription these days, or at least compulsory military training after high school, heaps of ppl take a gap year anyway.
Because a gap year is really similar to national service, eh?

the military exisists to protect Australia and our allies in the event of a conflict in any part of the world, but they aren't going to send you to iraq or afgahnastan if you can't fire a rifle; they don't want to have to write to your family and tell them youre dead, then have to go to the expense of bringing your body home and giving you a funeral, i mean come on.
Wishful thinking. Once you are in the army, you are practically the property of the govt; they can do what with you; you have no guarantee that you won't be sent to a place. A likelihood that this won't happen is simply not adequate.

military training would be benificial in many ways, including fighting obesity and instilling some discipline and/or maturity in the ppl coming out of school, it would do a lot of good. plus, heaps of other countries have it eg isreal, and theres nothing half-arsed about Isreal's military (or intelegence gathering oragnisation, read Mossad, although thats another story)
Yes, military training would fight obesity, because you'd have to wait another (?) 2-5 years before you start getting fat. Stupid idea, will not do anything significant for the long term really. If you wish to instil 'discipline', then those anachronistic thinks like decent parental authority would do a much better job. Israel is not like Aust; they are surrounded by enemies who want to destroy them - they need conscription, we don't.

E

Empyrean444

We're not a nation of war-mongers, so why do you assume that everyone's going to get mowed down? I'm quite intent on growing a spine myself and if you can't cope, the fact is that you don't have to enlist. Exemption on moral grounds, burn your card, become a hippy.
The iron age is over; martial activity is not the sole criterion for bravery.

E

Empyrean444

It's just about showing young people what's real instead of allowing them to retreat into the comfortable world they create for themselves.
Sorry, where do you derive your right to force upon people what you think is / should be the real 'reality'? The fact is comfort and luxury do exist; they are 'real', they are not a created world. Many people do not have the desire to fight or kill; to say that they must do so anyway when there is no immediate threat or war directly threatening us is essentially a fascist principle (remember Hitler's words: "He who wishes to live, let him fight, and he who does not wish to fight does not deserve to live in this world of eternal struggle.") The concept that teaching people to kill will somehow make them better people is ridiculous.

HSC
My dad's an officer, and he's been in for 35 years. He's been a peacekeeper and has ultimately helped more people than you ever will in your lifetime as a result.

We're not a nation of war-mongers, so why do you assume that everyone's going to get mowed down? I'm quite intent on growing a spine myself and if you can't cope, the fact is that you don't have to enlist. Exemption on moral grounds, burn your card, become a hippy.
-fuck off lol how many wars are we involved in right now you dolt

-yeah not everyone gets mowed down but if one person who is concripted does, then your whole argument is fucked

-yeah im pretty sure thats what a conscription is, im forced to enlist. please explain what is wrong with hippies

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
In 10 years, wars will be fought on halo servers in 65,535 a side team slayer matches anyway.

Alternatively, we could just take some keen SAS dudes and turn them into jason bourne like assassins and unleash them upon any leaders who look at us funny.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I believe national service should be introduced, with basic training which will help with issues such as dislapine (srry for spelling). For example a year or two compulsory miltary training, however can also serve when Australia is attacked or volunteer to serve in peace keeping missions. Traditional values and respect might be restored.

Other alternatives maybe making reserves compulsory for x amount of years or make the gap year compulsory.
Australia has been attacked how many times in our history?

Although I support the military I support people having the choice whether to serve or not.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
A WOULD-BE thief made the worst mistake of his career after breaking into the house of a retired Army boxer.
Gregory McCalium, 23, fronted court yesterday with a black eye and a fat lip after he was busted - and subsequently bashed - by 71-year-old Frank Corti in Mr Corti’s house in Oxford, UK.

Mr Corti said he was woken in the middle of the night by noises in his house and was confronted by the knife-wielding McCalium when he went to investigate.

He said McCalium “took a slash” at him, but Mr Corti ducked and threw two big right hooks at the lout.

And Mr Corti knows how to throw a right hook – he was famous for it as a featherweight in the Royal Engineers.

The blows almost knocked McCalium out, allowing Mr Corti to perform a citizens’ arrest and wait for the police.

McCalium’s lawyer told the court his client “looked like a car accident”.

“Photos of the scene looked more like a murder scene,” he told the court.

The judge wasn’t moved, saying McCalium “got what he deserved” before sentencing him to four-and-a-half years’ jail.
War pensioner knocks down would-be thief | Herald Sun
wow without military training the situation may have been the other way around.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
wow without military training the situation may have been the other way around.

Because the only people who learn boxing are those in the military.

And also, fuck off. We're not going to spend thousansd of dollars and take away people's rights so they can defend themselves from theives. What a load of shit.

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
No you cant choose where you are born but if you dont like where you are FUCKING MOVE!!!! If you hate australia then fuck off to some other shithole. I highly doubt you will find a better country to live in.
Low intelligence detected ;)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Because the only people who learn boxing are those in the military.

And also, fuck off. We're not going to spend thousansd of dollars and take away people's rights so they can defend themselves from theives. What a load of shit.
I never said anything about taking someone's rights away you tiresome buffoon.
Begone or in your filthy language, "Fuck off".

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes. It's would be a good way for people to meet eachother and foster a common bond to the land we are so alienated from

chocolatemilk

HSC
In 10 years, wars will be fought on halo servers in 65,535 a side team slayer matches anyway.

Alternatively, we could just take some keen SAS dudes and turn them into jason bourne like assassins and unleash them upon any leaders who look at us funny.
I was thinking more kidnap classes of kids and dump them on an island Battle Royale-style and let them fight it out for the strongest to create an army of super-sadists.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I don't see anything wrong with this. We should just try it, and see if it works out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)