• no

Votes: 79 53.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
glycerine said:
mate, i passed yr 10 school certificate level maths, i can do the basic stuff i need to do. why should i learn more sophisticated maths? i can hire an accountant to take care of my finances for me, etc.

with english, i think that while the current syllabus is v. flawed, having english be a compulsory subject is not in its a bad thing. hell, read these forums - the amount of people who can't spell or do much else other than babble incoherently is pretty scary.
I think it is important, not as a tool you may use in your future career or in any practical sence. But, just to have a greater awareness of the world you live in. It will make people more aware of the sciences and the role they play in the world.

In addition, just like how english is important tool for communication. You are bound to come across some level of maths/science in your life that you may have trouble understanding since you stopped at year 10.

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
I think it is important, not as a tool you may use in your future career or in any practical sence. But, just to have a greater awareness of the world you live in. It will make people more aware of the sciences and the role they play in the world.
i agree - however - you happen to come to a different conclusion and put it in an essay and your done for. My max. mark in any english exam has been bout 80%, and at the bottom of almost every essay is "thats an interesting point of view, however, this view does not fit within the marking criteria"

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
FoodForThought said:
i agree - however - you happen to come to a different conclusion and put it in an essay and your done for. My max. mark in any english exam has been bout 80%, and at the bottom of almost every essay is "thats an interesting point of view, however, this view does not fit within the marking criteria"
I was discussing that with a classmate. And I definitely agree that the English syllabus is far too mechanical - it leaves no room for individual expression. That said, EE2 is probably the closest you'd get to individual thought.

mossup

can you do the mossup?
cloud eight & nine tenths. Yes its frustrating
HSC
i reckon it should be compulsory, but ere should be a HECK of alot less work. Its just not fair the amount of texts we have to study and know. It really disadvantaging those that aren't good at english. its the same as maths.....if math was compulsory people who are bad at it are disadvantaged...

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I was discussing that with a classmate. And I definitely agree that the English syllabus is far too mechanical - it leaves no room for individual expression. That said, EE2 is probably the closest you'd get to individual thought.
yeah, thats what i been told too. Biggest problem is that you need good marks in advanced to do extension 2. Either the school will flat out say no, or you will be hampered to a point that makes it near impossible. Probably stupidly, i refuse to write down a view that i dont agree with and call it my own. Considering that does no good to my advanced mark, i cant get to the stage where it helps me. My school wont even let me do standard, that just makes it all the more worse.

klaw

HSC
FoodForThought said:
Are you sure that they can mark you down for having a different viewpoint? Isn't it fine if you answer the question and support your argument with evidence?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
some teachers can be bigoted but more often than not, the question will be written in such a way that there will be one obvious point of view that you take because of the overwhelming evidence that you cans support your arguement with. trying to be a smartass and going against the question is just plain stupid.

HSC
blackfriday said:
some teachers can be bigoted but more often than not, the question will be written in such a way that there will be one obvious point of view that you take because of the overwhelming evidence that you cans support your arguement with. trying to be a smartass and going against the question is just plain stupid.
There is always always multiple answers, and if you study a text yourself then you can provide the evidence for a different point of view. In class you are give the evidence for a single viewpoint usually, and the others are ignored.

baby_pea

HSC
The point is why is english more regarded, why is it the only subject to be compulsory in the HSC?

Yes, english is needed for everyday. I understand you need to be able to read forms etc., but in english, the markers do not mark your spelling. In fact, you can get away by getting someone to write an essay, and memorise it (provided you leave space to alter).

On the point of having the ability to think critically, is up to the person. It is a matter of intelligence. Someone can do really well in english but can also be a total dumbass outside the classroom. Some people will be illiterate, some people will be more clever.

People whould be able to chose to fail or succeed.

boo__forschool

i do think english should be compulsory, definitely, however, the content should be changed. i find with it, that there is no outlet for creativity or opinion; everything is so ridiculously structured. it never, ever is about expression & as students, our work is much too formulaic and identical. its sad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)