Should I change schools? (1 Viewer)

HSCExposed

HSC
Hey

So basically I moved to a private school from public at the start of year 11. So far it's been good but as we started this term its turning into a terrible school. Basically the school is ranked in the 60's. They dropped down students from the higher class who is doing HSC and dumped them into our class. Our class now has a little over 40 students. Secondly, we got a new biology teacher who is the absolute worst teacher. It's her first time teaching preliminary and she can't even teach. She doesn't know how to answer questions from the students. Thirdly, the physics teacher is a really bad teacher, she can't teach too but that alright because I have a tutor. Basically in the upcoming yearly exam, we have to get over 75% in biology to continue with science in HSC or else we get dropped to senior science. This is absolutely ridiculous. We have the worst teacher and they expect us to get 75%. I have the option to change schools if I would like at the end of year 11 and start year 12 at the new school. The first school is in my local suburb. It's really close to my house and they'd give me any subject I want since I applied for them at the start of the year and got accepted but I never went. I can go there but the problem is that the school is ranked almost 600. I know that's a very bad score. Can that affect my HSC? Also I can apply for semi selective high school which is Tempe but I'm not too sure if they'll accept me since they're selective and my grades aren't really at the top. But they're pretty good and they're ranked in the 100's. What should I do guys? I have to make a decision as soon as possible! Is it better if I go to the 600 ranked school? They barely have students and I think I'll be able to top every subject (maybe). Also will I get bonus points for going to a crap school?

lolitaaa

HSC
I'm not gonna read that. At least write it in small paragraphs. But yes move schools. Live life with no regrets

meggles_

HSC
Some schools are on the EAS list if they're disadvantaged so if that school is in it, you'll get bonus points for some courses (not medicine or law I'm pretty sure)

Move to whatever school you think will suit you best - maybe just your local one so you'll spend less time travelling?
600s is a low rank, not sure what sort of ATAR you'll get, but if you work hard and top your grade you should do decently - depends what course you want to do

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you know anyone there? So you can find out the quality of the teaching?

HSCExposed

HSC
Do you know anyone there? So you can find out the quality of the teaching?
Well some of my friends go there and they told me the schools gone better and that it's a really small school. I'm also mates with the school captain and he recommended me to come to the school.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Your current school is absolutely a joke, get out of there and go to your mates school. You've said that your teachers are bad, they don't know how to teach and the Science teacher has a pass mark of 75% <-- That's ridiculous, OR ELSE IF YOU FAIL YOU WILL GET DROPPED TO SS. Your current school is just a recipe for a catastrophe. :chainsaw:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well some of my friends go there and they told me the schools gone better and that it's a really small school. I'm also mates with the school captain and he recommended me to come to the school.

If the travel time is less, then it sounds like it would be better to move...

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Always look for whether the travel time is good. In the end, it doesn't really mean anything (your school). Unless it's Ruse of course.

But I get your situation, and I think the school may have a slight impact. Tricky situation...

forum

Banned
HSC
If you can't move then register with online tutoring sites that will help your kid to get good grades and knowledge instead of depending on class teachers. Online tutoring will allow you to connect with tutor for all subjects. There are several available that charge between $120-! 50 per month with 20 hours of classes.

HSC
If you can't move then register with online tutoring sites that will help your kid to get good grades and knowledge instead of depending on class teachers. Online tutoring will allow you to connect with tutor for all subjects. There are several available that charge between $120-! 50 per month with 20 hours of classes.
Online tutoring is hard... Face to face much better

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
There are kids all around the state that are complaining about crappy teachers.... it's just the way things are.

Seriously, if you're that worried about it change. But at the end of the day no school is perfect and you'll look like a tool if you school hop back and forth, not to mention you're understanding of the prelim work will be totally buggered up.

From my viewpoint you want consistency. I could've lived with my dad and gone to a school in the top 10's, but I chose to stay regional because it's what I'm used to and I know where I stand at the current school I attend.

Choose a school and persevere with it - even if that means you have to do some self-teaching or put up with bimbo teachers. From what everyone says, you will find people that are hard to work with all through your life, wether they're teachers or students or lecturers or bosses. You just have to learn to keep doing what you do best.

:) Good luck.

enoilgam

HSC
If Tempe is the HS you're thinking of, then my advice is to steer well clear and consider something else. A poor ranking school will have a minimal impact on your ATAR, however, you yourself have the most significant impact on what your results will look like. So dont let that stop you from moving schools.

Thank_You

HSC
Man, 60s ain't even bad. My school is just under 150 and think i can still get over 90 ATAR. If you're going to MOVE, then do it now, or ASAP. I've heard that Tempe is know as like the 'drop-out' selective school. Man, ranking is lower than my school, and my school is a shithole! I'd probably stay where you are and work your ass off, and not depend too much on the teacher.

Apparently ranking of school DOES affect your HSC, but really, as long as YOU do your best, and get the best. All in all, you really don't have to worry about school rank. And yeah, you do get bonus marks for low socio-economic status, like my school :)

Seriously, it's at your discretion, do what YOU think that suits you and what you think could be great in the future. Plus, teachers at your local school or at Tempe MAY NOT be any better, so all you man :haha:

All the best :smile:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)