Should I choose ECONOMICS or PDHPE? (1 Viewer)

frankie98

HSC
I am in year 10 at the moment, and we are choosing our subjects for year 11 and 12 this week. My ATAR aim is 92+
I have decieded on the following subjects:

Mathematics
Mathematics ex 1
Adv English
Legal Studies
Biology
SOR 1
Pdhpe OR Economics

I can't deciede between PE and Economics, I don't like PE or PASS now and I don't mind commerce but I am the kind of person to work hard in every subject no matter how much I hate it. At my schoool an average of 5/30-50 students gets a band six result in DHPE each year, but only 1/25 every few years in economics.

Am I more likely to get a higher ATAR by doing PDHPE or Economics?

Thankyou so much in advance, I really really appreciate it!

emilios

HSC
I was in the same situation as you 2 yrs ago in regards to eco or PE. Picked eco and I'm very glad I did. You might not like it at first but it'll grow on you. PE looks like a rote-learning fest. Btw eco>legal so theres that

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
You can achieve a 92+ ATAR with either Economics or PDHPE - does not matter.

What matters is your PERFORMANCE in either Economics or PDHPE.

Technically, all things being equal - Economics scales higher than PDHPE so theoretically, you'd choose it to maximise your ATAR.

However, you must take into consideration things such as your interests and strengths. A much stronger performance in PDHPE will always be better for your ATAR than a weaker performance in Economics, no matter the scaling.

PDHPE might look like a ''rote-learning fest'' but Economics isn't much better in that department either (in fact, Economics is very content heavy).

Anyways, I didn't do HSC PDHPE but I did HSC Economics... and my personal thoughts on Economics are:
- It's content heavy.
- It has strong + likely returns (my own experience) - effort WILL lead to results.
- It can be very interesting and you can relate basically everything in the syllabus to real life economic conditions/events.
- Added bonus --> if you do Commerce and/or Economics in university, there's prelim + HSC Economics in your 1st year Economics subject.

frankie98

HSC
Thankyou both so much!
I'm kinda leaning more to Economics, but just wanted to check I have understood this right - Doing well in PDHPE is better than doing standard/average in Economics?

Axio

=o
HSC
I do Economics and find it very interesting. The work isn't that difficult to understand as well. You sound like you don't like PDHPE so of course pick Economics. However if you do enjoy PDHPE you could consider picking it over Economics.

photastic

HSC
Both are boring yet content heavy driven subjects. However, both align and scale well, where economics scales better than PE

HSC
All your subjects besides English and math are heavy content based.
Do whichever subject you feel like you will do well in

photastic

HSC
All your subjects besides English and math are heavy content based.
Do whichever subject you feel like you will do well in
Except for SOR I. The whole course is less than a module for a science subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)