Should I complain about my mark? I think I should have obtained a higher one. (1 Viewer)

bimatty

HSC
In a subject that I did, I obtained the following marks:

1. 90% for something with a 25% weighting.
2. 70% for something with a 30% weighting.
3. 75% for something with a 5% weighting.

There was a test that I missed due to illness, which had a weighting of 40%. I was told that I would be given an average of my other marks. I calculated it to be 78.75%, and was expecting to get 79, due to rounding, but instead the result was 78. Does the uni do something differently, or are my calculations wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
If you really want to chase it up, you're probably better off speaking directly to the uni/convenor. I personally wouldn't do it, but on the other hand if you feel you're entitled to it then there's really no harm in pursuing it.

bimatty

HSC
If you really want to chase it up, you're probably better off speaking directly to the uni/convenor. I personally wouldn't do it, but on the other hand if you feel you're entitled to it then there's really no harm in pursuing it.
Why wouldn't you do it? Not worth the extra mark? I partially agree, which is why I am not sure.

Why do you think this would be, though? It just seems a bit perplexing to me. Just a mistake on the convenor's part, or something else?

rayy_bann

HSC
I'm not 100% sure about this BUT it may come down to several factors. For example, a small amount of scaling could have been involved. And as they say, your SNG is not necessarily reflected of your raw mark, rather it is a grade. So yeah.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Pretty much. With that being said, I would still send an email to the convenor and just ask how they arrived at that figure.

To be honest I'm not sure how they came to that number. It could involve some sort of scaling. I've given up on trying to work out how they come up with our grades. It never seems to be as straight forward as one would think for some reason.

bimatty

HSC
Pretty much. With that being said, I would still send an email to the convenor and just ask how they arrived at that figure.

To be honest I'm not sure how they came to that number. It could involve some sort of scaling. I've given up on trying to work out how they come up with our grades. It never seems to be as straight forward as one would think for some reason.
Tell me about it. I was robbed I nap another unit, back in 2010. I got 65 raw, yet an SNG of 63. That really pissed me off, because a credit is obviously so much better than a pass, and I ahouls have been given a credit, not a pass. With this, I'm not THAT concerned, because they're both still DS.

I think that I will just send a brief email and ask him how he came to this result. Thanks.

bimatty

HSC
I'm not 100% sure about this BUT it may come down to several factors. For example, a small amount of scaling could have been involved. And as they say, your SNG is not necessarily reflected of your raw mark, rather it is a grade. So yeah.
You could be right. It's happened to me before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)