• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I defer for one year instead of choosing something i might regret? (1 Viewer)

lollyluu

HSC
I don't know what i want to do in University...Is it better for me to just not choose at all and maybe spend the year to think things through and work to save up? Helpp!!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
if you're that uncertain yes! Saving up for your degree, brilliant idea.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
lollyluu said:
I don't know what i want to do in University...Is it better for me to just not choose at all and maybe spend the year to think things through and work to save up? Helpp!!
Well your hsc is not till next year, so there is still plenty of time to think, but if you are not certain come this time next year, working is a good idea, not only will you save a lot of money, but it may also give you a motivation to do something in particular at uni

HSC
i think it's a better idea .. plus 13 years of school and then straight into at least three more years of studying seems ridiculously unnecessary to me

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
it shouldnt be expected to go straight to uni after highschool

in fact they shouldnt push everyone to go to uni in the first place

lollyluu

HSC
3unitz said:
what the hell? you have over a year to think about it
I actually have less than a year...the vtac book is released in august meaning i have less than 3 months to decide. If i was to work for a year i would need to look for a long term job and i heard it's hard to get accepted into a store when you have no prior experiences. :eek:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
lollyluu said:
I actually have less than a year...the vtac book is released in august meaning i have less than 3 months to decide. If i was to work for a year i would need to look for a long term job and i heard it's hard to get accepted into a store when you have no prior experiences. :eek:
It's just that ur HSC date is listed as 2009. Should be 08, if u haven't noticed.

Dunno, get the dole? Take a GAP or Gap year project year go overseas? Or start finding a job, retail jobs are pretty easy to get.

HSC
What sort of money can I get from the government if I choose to not go to uni straight away, not get a job and still live at home?

If there's already a thread on this please provide a link.

Because frankly, I couldn't be bothered doing ANYTHING after the HSC is over

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i dont think you could qualify for anything except "looking for work" allowance

which morally, my independent complex wouldnt let me sleep at night knowing i was receiving that sort of shit.

lollyluu

HSC
Wooz said:
It's just that ur HSC date is listed as 2009. Should be 08, if u haven't noticed.

Dunno, get the dole? Take a GAP or Gap year project year go overseas? Or start finding a job, retail jobs are pretty easy to get.
Thanks for telling me!!!! I'm getting heaos of different advices..now i need to think clearly about my options and what i really want. soo hard ~!

DTFM

HSC
You should just dive into university regardless of whether or not you know what you want to do. Just so you learn from your mistake.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
it shouldnt be expected to go straight to uni after highschool

in fact they shouldnt push everyone to go to uni in the first place
The worst thing people can do after school finishes is start proper work before going to uni because once they start earning consistent money they think they are doing really well and end up deciding not to go to uni anymore, not considering the long-term. It has happened to a lot of people I know. Even people I know who have started full time at uni have dropped to part time and then dropped out all together because they realised how much they could make.

lala2

Banned
HSC
That's why I've always wondered, if you go straight into full time work after school, how will you be able to make a fully informed decision about what you want unless you work multiple jobs? And of course there's that concern where you may decide to stay in the workforce and not get further education.

What about taking some TAFE courses or some courses through tertiary continuing education centres? That way, at least you'll have some qualification beyond a Year 12 and you can dabble around, and it won't be as expensive as uni (generally).

X

xeuyrawp

iamsickofyear12 said:
The worst thing people can do after school finishes is start proper work before going to uni because once they start earning consistent money they think they are doing really well and end up deciding not to go to uni anymore, not considering the long-term. It has happened to a lot of people I know. Even people I know who have started full time at uni have dropped to part time and then dropped out all together because they realised how much they could make.
... Then maybe they're happy not to go to uni? They've obviously decided that the benefits of work outweigh having a uni degree?

Not everyone needs to have some sort of uni degree, least of all because if they decide that they do need one, they can go out and get one.

I hear your kind of argument all the time at careers fairs, and it's so unbelievably misleading and flawed that it makes me cringe every time.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Everyone has a fucking uni degree it no longer looks so crash hot on a resume.

I find the concept of "the law degree is like the new arts degree" really disturbing to me.

Who are you to presume that people who don't go to uni aren't doing "really well"? My mate got 51 for his UAI and is now finishing a certificate to be a stockbroker that his company paid him to do.

Evilo

HSC
lollyluu said:
enrol in something general like a bachelor of science/bachelor of arts. Take a course from some of the faculties you may be interested in. Then at the end of the semester do the same, or re-adjust courses to suit interests :)

DTFM

HSC
Why not put your country first and choose a career based on an area that is suffering from a skills shortage?

lollyluu

HSC
Evilo said:
enrol in something general like a bachelor of science/bachelor of arts. Take a course from some of the faculties you may be interested in. Then at the end of the semester do the same, or re-adjust courses to suit interests :)
That's a good idea! Thanks :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)