Should I do a double degree or single degree? (1 Viewer)

NovaAesa

HSC
Okay, I've decided that I definately want to go to the University of Newcastle (lots of reasons for this, but irelevent to this thread). I've also decided that I want to do Engineering(Software).

The thing is though, my UAI was way higher than the cutoff for Engineering(Software), so I was thinking maybe I should do a double degree. If I was to do a double degree with would be with software engineering and either science(photonics) or science(physics).

So I was wondering if people out there who are doing double degrees think that it's worth it to do one. What are the disadvantages, and what are the advantages (appart from having two degrees at the end of the day)?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
From the top of my head

Pros
-Obviously you get 2 degrees
-If you're planning on some physics/science, some subjects complement your engineering degree quite well (and vise versa)
edit:True, as Musk stated below, only for mechanical and electrical

Cons
-Takes longer to complete (which then means you might prolong your entry into the industry of your engineering degree)
-You won't get as many elective choices for your degrees (that depends how many subjects you can get common to both degrees though)

Last edited:

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Ye as said soft eng does not match science its more IT. If you want to apply science to computing do something like bioinformatics or geoinformatics were both science and computing are related.
Honestly i reckon you would find a job in soft eng instead of science (photonics or physics), as i know a friend who completed masters in physics and found a job 2 years later. But its your choice.

NovaAesa

HSC
I was thinking of doing sceicne(physics) or science(photonics) as well because they seem pretty insteresting and I enjoyed physics in high school. I guess the thing is, I only really need one degree to get a job :)

But how much extra work would it be to do a double degree? Obviously it would be 5 years instead of 4, but how much extra classes/assignments etc would I have to do per week?

loser101

HSC
no EXTRA WORK buddy. just more subjects over a longer period.

its like doing 1 degree + 75% of another degree.... you only do 75% of the second degree because 25% of the 1st degree is common to both degrees or counts as credit towards your 2nd degree.

NovaAesa

HSC
Okay, you guys have convinced me. I think I'm just going to stick with the engineering(software).

K

katie_tully

im doing a double degree purely coz it was only a year extra of uni and i think it'll look good on paper

thats bout it.

Aralia

Mieow...
HSC
Hey...watch out! Single degrees seem a bit weak nowadays and most people I know go back for more at the end of 3 or 4 years. This isn't just using the availability heuristic. When you do a double degree, they ask you at the end of your first degree whether you want to continue or not. You do have a choice then. Please don't just rush in now!

I originally wanted to get into B. Psych at USyd. My marks didn't quite get there - missed by 1 UAI, and at the same time I wanted to do B. Sci/B. Com at USyd as well, but Commerce didn't appeal to me as uni approached. I chose B. Sci/B. Arts instead. I admit, I wanted to do a double degree to death 'cos it does look good on paper, but you also get out more, enjoy a few more carefree years and beers =).

I agree with the whole putting your UAIs to use business. Freak, I got something like 94 and the degree I'm completing is 84. Don't do something for the sake of it. If you don't enjoy the journey (sorry) you probably won't enjoy your destination.

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
ah jesus ur one of those

"i gotta make sure my uai goes to use"

Engineering/Business or dont waste your time
And ironically, no-one cares abou your UAI.

loser101

HSC
when i went to UNSW b.comm the TER cutoff was 90.00 (UAI would be around 93)

when i asked people in the course, most of them got 99's, 98s to 96.

very few i asked got below 95.

when you get into the premium courses at the top universities, even though the cutoff maybe 90, i would say most of the student would be on the upper end of the cutoff. 99 to 95.

so the cuttoffs can be a bit deceiving as to the quality of students in the course.

NovaAesa

HSC
3unitz said:
dont think you can combine software engineering with anything at newcastle uni anyway.
I just checked and you're right. I have my heart set on software engineering so it looks like my mind has been made up for me!

jannny

HSC
Different people have different perspectives. Some people find double degree as a waste of time.

I went to the info day today at Syd uni and talked to the Dean himself and told me that employers actually now dislike graduates with "engineering with commerce" as most of them after being trained for 2 years, leave to pursue something from their commerce side. Employers feel bad since, they devoted 2 years just to train them and then they're just going to leave.

I for one will just go for a straight engineering degree, with the skills shortage in Australia doing a double degree just to impress employers is indeed a waste of time (unless you are interested in it). My cousin who graduated from chemical engineering is currently being sponsored by his own company to do a Masters in Bussiness Administration (so if you dont get in to engo/commerce, dont be upset :D )

Also, you get to leave uni 1 year early so yea, It's really upto you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)