should i drop a subject for year 12??? (1 Viewer)

cassie_7

HSC
Hey guys so I'm currently doing 12 units and I'm considering dropping down to 10 BUTTTT here's my dilemma:

I really don't like society and culture but i go alright in it - if i was to drop a subject it would be this. however,

I'm really bad at chemistry but I need to do it and I'm scared that if i drop S & C I might do badly in Chemistry and not get a high ATAR.

I definitely need to keep Chemistry for my uni course but I'm not sure if i want to drop society. I really don't like the idea of a PIP, and if i had extra study periods I could use this time to work on all my other subjects. I'm also considering getting a chemistry tutor.

I don't enjoy society, and i feel like if i worked really hard I could understand Chemistry, and it sort of interests me too.

i think i'm leaning towards dropping society...not 100% sure though ...

So i guess my question is: should I drop society and culture to focus more on chemistry or should I keep 12 units just incase I do badly in chemistry?? Help!!!

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Hey guys so I'm currently doing 12 units and I'm considering dropping down to 10 BUTTTT here's my dilemma:

I really don't like society and culture but i go alright in it - if i was to drop a subject it would be this. however,

I'm really bad at chemistry but I need to do it and I'm scared that if i drop S & C I might do badly in Chemistry and not get a high ATAR.

I definitely need to keep Chemistry for my uni course but I'm not sure if i want to drop society. I really don't like the idea of a PIP, and if i had extra study periods I could use this time to work on all my other subjects. I'm also considering getting a chemistry tutor.

I don't enjoy society, and i feel like if i worked really hard I could understand Chemistry, and it sort of interests me too.

So i guess my question is: should I drop society and culture to focus more on chemistry or should I keep 12 units just incase I do badly in chemistry?? Help!!!
Drop Society and Culture. Pretty much everything you wrote points to it. You'll do much better in something that interests you when you have the time for it, and having done a major project myself, if you're not really into it, its going to be really hard to finish and do well in.

samanthalm

HSC
Hey there! I hope that everything went well for you :) But i'm in the same boat right now, and wanted to see how that worked for you? Was it the right decision.. because i'm not doing well in mathematics (2 unit) at all, as a result of lack of study, should I drop society and culture because I have no motivation for the PIP, so I was wandering.. is it risky to have 10 units, especially inclusive of a subject you're not confident with? How did you go?
Reply would be much appreciated as I want to make a final decision in a few days! Thank you very much.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC

You need to ask yourself if you're really going to do this.

Also, even though you do not enjoy the subject, if you're doing well in it, I recommend you should keep it for whatever marks you are getting. Sometimes toughing it out despite no enjoyment can still have its benefits when you're not doing badly in it.

You only have the rest of this term, the trials, the period where you have plenty of time to revise in each classroom and then the HSC exams. You won't be suffering for too long.

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
What course are you hoping to do in the future that makes it vital for you to keep chemistry? Is it assumed knowledge? I don't think it's the end of the world if it's that case. I have a friend who is doing optometry right now, but she didn't phys for HSC. Instead, she opted to just self-study during the summer break (4+ month break depending on when your HSC will end). If not, then there are also bridging courses, which I also have another friend who opted for that instead.

Like KittyRules said, you sound like you already know you want to. Perhaps you're scared to go through with it because there's no turning back after that? I think there's something about having the approval that you're making the "right" choice(?)/reassurance of others' that helps us go through with something (that you know you want), whether they're strangers or people you know personally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)