Should I drop back to 2U maths?!?! :/ (1 Viewer)

kaelsjike

HSC
Ever since senior high I've been finding it difficult to master the concepts of ext 1 maths. I've finished the 2U course and struggling to keep up with the pace of 3u; what should I do?!
I've 11 units right now (3u maths, 4u english, legal and chem). Marks for maths (2U):
- half yearlies rank: 100/126
- 2u trial hsc rank: 84/175 (includes the year 12 cohort, hence the increased number of students)
- yearlies rank: 117/126 :jawdrop::alone:
my school is ranked in the top 10; i don't even know what to do :mad:

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
What do you find difficult about 3u? Is it just the concepts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I definitely don't advise you to drop down to 2 unit maths, 10 units is really not advisable if you can help it, only do it if you truly don't like maths extension one and don't believe you will be able to devote enough time or passion to understand those concepts, I think if you would disclose your trial marks for both it would be much easier for others to give you more constructive feedback than ranks... I personally find reading the 3 unit Cambridge textbooks really helps to clarify any concepts I couldn't understand-and once you understand the concepts-make sure you practice, practice, practice until they are almost like a reflex reaction, -have you tried to ask your maths teacher to clarify the concepts after each lesson if you didn't understand them, and have you considered getting a tutor for 3 unit maths to alleviate your current levels of stress?

HAX0R

HSC
What school do you go to? If you aren't comfortable, then just drop 3u. It'll be hard coping with ext maths and ext II English.

kaelsjike

HSC
What school do you go to? If you aren't comfortable, then just drop 3u. It'll be hard coping with ext maths and ext II English.

sydney boys; i agree with strawberrye- doing only 10 units is risky. I guess since 3u maths would only count as 1 unit for me, if i stuff that up i'll (hopefully) have english to cover for me and 2u maths. I'll just see how i'll go throughout the course; if it interferes with my other subjects in any way and if i do end up doing crap i'll probs drop it and focus on 2u. i guess it's easy to drop but once you drop you cant pick it up anymore...

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Pick up 4u if you can (srs).
At worst it won't count and you have at least a basic knowledge of fairly advanced topics (better than none, esp. If you want to do science in uni).

The time you spend in 3u is prob having a positive effect on your 2u marks anyway so def don't drop.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Don't drop. Every student in your school gets above 80 for 3-unit and 4-unit, which is sufficient for a 97+ ATAR.
Band 6 in 3-unit or 4-unit maths is sufficient for a 99 ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)