Should I drop economics? (1 Viewer)

sly chan

HSC
Hi everyone,

My biology teacher is going so fast and I cannot even catch a word of she is saying - every biology is so overwhelming....
But I love biology - so I'm not planning to drop it

If I want to change my bio teacher, I have to drop economics and pick up business studies....

What do you reckon I should do??
Just keep up with it and wait for next yr when my bio teacher is going to change (apparently she is just a sub for a pregnant teacher, whom from rumours is really good)

Thanks

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I do Business Studies and Economics.

I can tell you, Business Studies will lessen the load on you (which will also let you focus on Biology, since that is content heavy too).
Economics is a lot harder than Business Studies and requires you to do extra work outside of class, a lot more than Business Studies.

BUT.

If you want to change, its fine, you're still studying similar concepts if you change to Business, because my Business knowledge assists my Economics, vice versa.

I agree with you that teachers can affect the way you learn, ask your teacher for help, maybe tell her to go slow. You still want a good teacher for Preliminaries to build you for the HSC.

FancyPenguin

HSC

I can tell you, Business Studies will lessen the load on you (which will also let you focus on Biology, since that is content heavy too).
Economics is a lot harder than Business Studies and requires you to do extra work outside of class, a lot more than Business Studies.

BUT.

If you want to change, its fine, you're still studying similar concepts if you change to Business, because my Business knowledge assists my Economics, vice versa.

I agree with you that teachers can affect the way you learn, ask your teacher for help, maybe tell her to go slow. You still want a good teacher for Preliminaries to build you for the HSC.
This is basically it. Business is just straight forward while eco is actually complex and takes a lot more time to understand. If your not interested in either than pick up business as there is a reduced workload and it's not a hard subject but you chose eco so you probably liked it and I think you should stick with it but it really depends in whether switching Bio classes will make that much of a difference seeing as it is your favourite subject.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC

BUT.

Everything here is basically a given.

Economics is meant to be a hard subject, a greater depth of understanding is required in comparison to per se, business studies. In addition, the cohort for economics is more able and overall is more competent than that of business studies.

Many people will say that business is 'easier' but that's the reason why economics aligns better. In saying that, if you do choose to keep economics you should not be surprised at the workload as it is meant to be a challenging course, with a stronger cohort competing in the hsc.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I cannot emphasise this enough.

Contrary to popular opinion, economics is NOT a subject that you can excel in via superficial learning - it is a logic based course that necessitates your reasoning of cause and effect. Sure, there's the inevitable memorisation of stats and definitions, but apart from that, economics is essentially concepts. Something to keep in mind is that you should not learn the syllabus dot points in isolation; moreso finding links which in turn allows you to synthesis your information into a coherent response (namely essays and short answers). So whilst knowing the theory is good, being able to communicate concisely without any English flowery language is just as important.
This also.

Idk why people try to weigh up both courses solely based off difficulty tbh.

Doing a 'difficult' subject is rewarding honestly, this is going by the pure logic that if you find it difficult - chances are, most will. Contrary to this, doing a relatively 'easier' and less competitive subject can still be just as rewarding but generally, due to trends in performance; economics will ALWAYS align better (as it is obviously more difficult to attain marks relative to business studies).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)