Should I drop English Advanced and move down to Standard?!!??? (1 Viewer)

wootwoot1234

HSC
i got my half-yearly results back for English Advanced and i barely passed, got 66% :( (which was the average) ...

should i drop to English Standard?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Do you find it difficult or the workload unmanageable?

It's not indicative of everything yet, use it to motivate yourself to work harder.

Gigacube

HSC
Don't drop yet. Just try to improve by handing your teacher practice essays or creative writing pieces and get some feedback. You should stay this year and see if you can improve before deciding when year 12 starts.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
i got my half-yearly results back for English Advanced and i barely passed, got 66% :( (which was the average) ...

should i drop to English Standard?
Our English teacher said not to worry if you are doing average. She said in stage 6, for our school 70+ is a good enough mark. If you find it bearable, stick with it. It is okay to find English hard, the majority of people in NSW are in the same boat.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Practise, practise, practise. Ask for practise questions from your teacher, send them in for feedback. Rinse and repeat. You will definitely improve.

Ive heard that you're better off doing adv than stand since you study the saelme modules, with the exception of shakespeare- higher scaling. But if you're not doig well neither way will benefit you. You can also send your work into me and i can provide you will some advice.

Generally, with essays, most students dont use enough metalanguage, arent writing long enough responses, dont address the question, poor expression.

Really do ask for help if you dont understand your content back to front.Thats why teachers are there.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
No dont, English adv is better, better marks with less effort.

On the topic of lower marks, I know someone who got 68-70% all year round but ended up with a band 5 for the final hsc mark.

Pepin

HSC
It's really up to you.
Do you have a passion for English? If not then I do recommend you to drop, because you will achieve better marks in Standard English, whereas you wouldn't in Adv.

Talk to your teacher, thats what I would do :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It's really up to you.
Do you have a passion for English? If not then I do recommend you to drop, because you will achieve better marks in Standard English, whereas you wouldn't in Adv.

Talk to your teacher, thats what I would do :)
Don't listen to this person, he obviously knows nothing.
From experience, don't drop.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Looking at your marks, I see no reason to drop whatsoever. I only recommend dropping when the course is sufficiently overwhelming, and it doesn't appear so for you.

S

SafraazK

The answer is no! My school is probably in the bottom 400 schools of the state, so basically the students arent that smart. I was fortunate to do advanced in year 11 prelim and got 72% for my exam (which was the 6th highest in the class of 28 students)... Then as year 12 began there was a massive reshuffle of english classes and teachers and 8 ppl ended up dropping down to standard, followed by another 2 who thought dropping to standard was a good choice!! Now the class only has around 17 students and our teacher said that the lowest she is expecting in advanced is a band 4, many band 5's and few band 6's. As for strandard.. It has the same workload as advanced (I know this as my friends do standard) but the work is easier and coherent. The texts in standard are so boring and annoying where else the texts we are studying in advaned are tougher but interesting. You will need to analyse the texts in-depth in advanced compared to standard...

Although you are an average student like me, you will for sure do well in the course as long as you remember to keep up to date with h/w and assignments... Seek assistance from teachers whilst doing your exams or before submitting your assignments. Last year only 64/32000 students doing standard in the state got a band 6, and only 5% got band 5's.. where else 5000+/32000 got a band 6 in advanced followed by many band 5's...
You may think they scale the same, but this is not the story.. The are ALIGNED differently...lets say a advanced student and a standard student gets a 70 in english.. the "raw" mark is aligned before getting scaled at the same rate.. so the raw 70 in adv might end up in high 70's, where else the raw 70 in standard might end up in the low 60's.. This "aligned raw mark" is then scaled and contributes the same to your atar... So basically doing advanced is an advantage but you have to be dedicated (although you may not like the subject :p)...

All I can say is just try your best and see where it leads you.. dont listen to your friends or some morons convincing you to drop!! Just go with the flow... Gudluck! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

albeitunique

HSC
Stick with it for a little while longer if you can tolerate it. That way you'll have a better taste for HSC english, then you can make a more informed decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)