Should I drop English advanced ? (1 Viewer)

Jaguar33

HSC
Hi guys

I would like some advice whether or not I should drop to standard. My marks this year have like fluctuated so idk, first asses got 12/20 (was speech and I'm horrible at public speaking) , 16/20 then 21/25 then 13/20 . I have done paper 1 for yearly which I thought wasn't too bad though still insecure since I just memorised an essay and adapting so idk how well I did in that part. But doing the recent yearly exam recently I feel very insecure cause all the other assessments we got the essay question before hand. (I haven't read any of the set texts btw too) idk just confused

Thanks in advance for ppl that give me advice and pls excuse grammar my phone is hard to type with .

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Those are some pretty solid marks for a course that you've never taken before. Honestly OP, I think that you should stick with english advance, try your best in HSC and attain the maximum potential mark you can because a lot of people will tell you 'you know it aligns better and won't pull your atar that much right?' and 'theres really no difference between advance and standard but doing shakespeare' kind of advice. But it is up to you; and if you feel that you won't be motivated by your marks, the content, the course you should drop to standard and try your best there.

Again, I don't can't feel your emotions, your thoughts or your motivation. It really is your decision to drop OP. I do understand about the difficulty and anxiety you get from studying Advance and always having that mindset 'if i drop to standard, i'll be able to improve further because the competition isn't as great' but if you're motivated enough, I do believe you can improve significantly. Even if you don't; at least you tried your best, and isn't that all that matters? :)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd suggest you stick with advanced. I was in the same boat as you - I was getting 12-13/20 and was a bit skeptical. Now, I am getting higher marks with more practice and my rank is improving.
Firstly, you should read your set texts! I good thing to do is read them all in the Xmas holidays and then again when you start the module. Helps alot!
Secondly, don't memorize essays. How will you know what the question will be? Make a list of 'big ideas', quotes, techniques etc and practice writing using those. You need to answer the question explicitly
Also, start your assignments as soon as you get them and I encourage you to get your teacher to mark drafts and don't be afraid to ask questions.
A 14/20 in advanced is better than 14/20 in standard.
Also, once you drop advanced, you cannot pick it up again - be careful.
Good luck! :)

Intrinsic

HSC
I cannot stress this enough to say that Standard English is filled with students that increasingly demotivate teachers to do their job. Do Advanced and have a positive attitude towards English. Good luck

Fiction

HSC
The standard course scales lower than Advanced and still predominently requires the same skills anyways. I wouldn't suggest switching - rather stick with eng Adv. Note that one of the reasons you may have struggled with english is the fact that you're not prepared for your assessments. Start improving by reading your allocated texts and understanding your topic/concept more.

You mentioned that your first assessment was a speech, perhaps the reason why you got low marks was - as you've already stated, your public speaking skills, but also maybe you're not familiar with appropriating essay structure/skills into speeches? In that case, it's not really an indication of how well or how bad you could potentially be doing. Your marks were also improving steadily up until your fourth assessment - this can indicate that you do have the potential to do well in Advanced English.

It's really up to you and how comfortable you feel with doing Advanced English.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Stick with Advanced it aligns a lot better then standard.
Standard/Advanced scale pretty similarly, and even if your performance fluctuates it would probably happen in Standard english as well.

Jaguar33

HSC
Thankyou everyone for their advice! i'll be taking all the factors that you guys have mentioned into consideration :)

Jaguar33

HSC
The standard course scales lower than Advanced and still predominently requires the same skills anyways. I wouldn't suggest switching - rather stick with eng Adv. Note that one of the reasons you may have struggled with english is the fact that you're not prepared for your assessments. Start improving by reading your allocated texts and understanding your topic/concept more.

You mentioned that your first assessment was a speech, perhaps the reason why you got low marks was - as you've already stated, your public speaking skills, but also maybe you're not familiar with appropriating essay structure/skills into speeches? In that case, it's not really an indication of how well or how bad you could potentially be doing. Your marks were also improving steadily up until your fourth assessment - this can indicate that you do have the potential to do well in Advanced English.

It's really up to you and how comfortable you feel with doing Advanced English.
Stick with Advanced it aligns a lot better then standard.
Standard/Advanced scale pretty similarly, and even if your performance fluctuates it would probably happen in Standard english as well.
I don't understand this, say my mark is 13/20 for an assessment, but only because the standards in English advanced is high? Though if it were the same assessment task, but in an english standard class would my mark be an equivalent of like 17/20 in standard? If that makes sense? :/ In terms of say quality, & not trying to be arrogant, just curious.

Jaguar33

HSC
I'd suggest you stick with advanced. I was in the same boat as you - I was getting 12-13/20 and was a bit skeptical. Now, I am getting higher marks with more practice and my rank is improving.
Firstly, you should read your set texts! I good thing to do is read them all in the Xmas holidays and then again when you start the module. Helps alot!
Secondly, don't memorize essays. How will you know what the question will be? Make a list of 'big ideas', quotes, techniques etc and practice writing using those. You need to answer the question explicitly
Also, start your assignments as soon as you get them and I encourage you to get your teacher to mark drafts and don't be afraid to ask questions.
A 14/20 in advanced is better than 14/20 in standard.
Also, once you drop advanced, you cannot pick it up again - be careful.
Good luck! :)
Thanks :) i'm going to read all my set texts coming into year 12, though i'm still unsure about the memorising essays. The reason i believe i rote learn essays (ones that i've form in my own words before hand, according to the syllabus) is because i feel unconfident the way i express myself on paper, my arguments seem to not flow as fluidly as i like though what i've realised that when i type it out, i'm much more adequate in communicating and i am able to form structures in really logical ways + the added bonus of 'synonyms' to change words that seem too primary. Now i've heard this is bad, but recently in the last yearly test i did Paper 2 i've made an essay to adapt for sect 1, and for 2 (poems) i memorised quotes so i'm going to see which has worked for me better. Thus why i assumed if i go to standard, and i didn't memorise an essay that i wasn't damned, since i know such a large percentage would do worse then me? As why they chose standard in the beginning....... not trying to shit on standard ppl , actually love them :3

FireRunning

HSC
Dropping from English Advanced to Standard English is a very bad idea because of the poor scaling. :spzz:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't understand this, say my mark is 13/20 for an assessment, but only because the standards in English advanced is high? Though if it were the same assessment task, but in an english standard class would my mark be an equivalent of like 17/20 in standard? If that makes sense? :/ In terms of say quality, & not trying to be arrogant, just curious.
Standard Cohorts tend to be worse...

Plus I've heard of schools standard cohort getting a much lower moderated mark in the actual HSC whereas the advanced kids get moderated/scaled a lot higher then internals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)