• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I drop English Extension 1? (1 Viewer)

Drop or Keep?

• Drop

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Keep

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

jeffstar18

HSC
I'm in year 12 and currently sitting on 13 units. These include ext 2 maths, physics, chemistry, economics and ext 1 english. I don't know whether I should drop Extension 1 English.

-----

Pros of dropping Extension 1 English

I get a lot more free time and a lot more free periods. I can focus my time on English Advanced.
Smaller workload (Ext 1 English seemed to be a lot of work for 1 unit in year 11)

Cons of dropping Extension 1 English

My school does very poorly at English Advanced. In a cohort of roughly 170, we typically achieve 4 to 6 Band 6s. In English Extension 1, we achieve about double that - roughly 10 or 12. This means that there will be around 6 boys who get a Band 6 in English Extension 1 who don't get a Band 6 in English Advanced.

------

The question is - which option provides better benefits? Should I choose to have extra time to improve my results in other subjects (provided I don't procrastinate in free periods) or should I choose to mitigate the damage that English Advanced will likely do to my ATAR by having 3 English Units rather than 2 (2 Units of English must count). Keeping in mind that I ranked around 12th in year 11, and most likely will not achieve a band six in English Advanced but most likely will achieve a band six in Extension 1 English.

Are there any pros or cons that I have overlooked?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say drop English Extension 1 IF you are ranked well in the rest of your subjects..

However, if your not doing well (outside of the top 15 students) in your other subjects, I'd say stick with Extension 1.

SunnyScience

HSC
If you're in the top 8, keep. If not - drop that sh!t. I hate Extn Eng. (but, then again - we do Romanticism). The workload is too much for the 1U imo, but it's personal preference. If I could turn back time, I'd drop it too, but too late now.

jeffstar18

HSC
My ranks for year 11 were 3rd in eco, 3rd in 2u math, 6th in chemistry, 6th in 3u math, 17th in english advanced, 11th in physics and 12th in english extension

2xL

HSC
drop it. boring and useless and probably wont even count to your atar.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't like English Extension 1, it probably won't count UNLESS you're even worse at English (Advanced).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd keep it given the info about your performance in both of them, but what can make a massive difference in EE1 is what topic you're gonna have to do a yea ron. See if it's one of the ones you'll actually like.

ATB nihilism kills you after the term though the COld War is interesting, would have loved Textual DYnamics or Language and Gender. ROmanticism we did too much in Yr 11 but if we hadn't, would have been ok for year 12 agin, but probably not for a year.

such_such

HSC
All the other subjects that you do are INTENSE. And soon, if not later, you'll start to feel the 'burn' and it's going to get too much. (Unless maybe you study 95% of the time or are naturally smart and can memorise everything)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)