Should I drop Ext. History? Advice Needed! (1 Viewer)

Nyxie

HSC
Okay, so at the moment I have 11 units, including ext. history. The thing is, with the subjects I am doing I have FOUR MAJORS- which is a lot. (My subjects are listed in my signature).

So my question is, would it be smart for me to drop ext. history? Then I would only have 3 majors, and I would have more time to concentrate on my other subjects...

What do you think? Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks!

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
i considered dropping it too, but it scales well, so I'm going to keep it

you should keep it.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Scaling is a load of shit, do not pay any attention to it. Do you like the subject? Do you feel you can handle the workload? Do you have sufficient time management skills?

It depends on you. You will have a fair idea of your ability to complete four major works. Just go with what your happy with, don't listen to others.

flightlessbird

HSC
I faced the same dilemma early this term. If I picked up Ext. History I would have had three major works and that was something that frightened me a little. Two major works I can handle, but three just seems a little bit too much.

Seeing as you have four major works, I'd suggest you drop Ext. History. But if you absolutely love history and think that you'll enjoy it, and at the same time work consistently on all four of your major works then just keep it for the time being. If the stress gets to you, you can always drop it later on in the year.

Nyxie

HSC
Thanks so much for the advice :D

I do enjoy extension history so far, although admittedly we've only had three lessons so far. I think I can go well in it--- but I'm slightly scared about the workload. I do have fairly good time-management skills- but I'm not sure if it will extend to cover four major works...

I've based my subjects on what I love, not what scales, and I figure that that is what will enable me to succeed in the HSC :cook:

I'm still unsure though. I enjoy extension history-- but another major? and apparently the workload is pretty much equivalent to a two unit subject...:cold:

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
No dont drop it. I think i became smarter because of it.

What case study you doing?

It doesn't scale as well as it should imo.

Nyxie

HSC
We're doing Elizabeth I for our case study.

I get what you mean, rockyroad - I can already feel my mind opening a bit and thinking of 'deep' questions.

I'm not too fussed either way with scaling- I'm more concerned with the workload.

technicolour

HSC
I was thinking about S&C, His. Ext. and English Ext. 2 when we were making our subject choices, and my teachers were really strongly against me doing all three of those. You have to be extremely organised and have fantastic coping mechanisms to handle all of the major works. It just depends on you personally. I would have loved to do three majors (I'm only talking about these three because I have no right to talk about art at all seeing as I'm incredibly artistically challenged), but I don't think I could have handled the stress.

Just be warned, Elizabeth I is apparently a pretty challenging elective. It can get a bit confusing because of the Old English, and Ext. History is already a lot of reading in itself without having to worry about deciphering the language of historians.

Having said all of that, I reckon Ext. History is a really cool subject, but it's not worth it if you're going to be killing yourself in the process. I hope that helps. :)

Nyxie

HSC
thanks for the advice technicolour (love your dumbledore icon by the way :D)

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards dropping it more than keeping it now. It seems like the much smarter choice.

Thanks for all the advice guys! :cook:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)