Should i drop extension english? (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm considering dropping ee1 since my school isn't great at English and the head teacher recommended that I should drop because apparently all the subjects im taken are 'highly stressful'. So adding ee1 would increase my workload. My teacher doesn't support me taking EE1 either, since its apparently 'stressing me out'.

I don't really care about any of that but I'm afraid the head teacher might chuck a dirty and place me in standard (she hates me because I've told her off multiple times about her unprofessional attitude towards my friends and cohort in general). I don't mind keeping ee1 but ive got a lot of pressure on me, what should i do?

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Even if your school doesn't do well in English, if you have the ability to top EE1,your marks won't be affected by your cohort. So you have to consider if you have what it takes to top it.
Plus, she may say that, but do YOU think you're stressing out?
Additionally , the school doesn't have the power to stop you from doing a subject. They can only highly recommend you against it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It's only the very start of the year, you haven't really had the opportunity to try out the subject yet.

Darth_UNSW

HSC
I did extension 1 and 2 last year. Extension 1 is faaaaaar easier than English advanced and standard because there are far fewer texts (you could finish them all in a week) and the exam is 2 hours with just one essay, one creative writing. The only downside is that it is even more subjective than advanced and english and hence can ruin you. However, I think the risk is worth it considering how easy the study is for it. It's not half the amount of work as english advanced, it's barely a fifth to be honest. Also, you can use the same texts of your own choosing across advanced and extension. I'd stick with it at least until your first assessment and see how you go.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I did EE1 & didn't go to class at all... Still managed a 40 & got an E3. So keep it. It doesn't matter about your grade, what matters is that you put in the effort to do well. With a bit of effort you'll do better than me. LOL.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I did EE1 & didn't go to class at all... Still managed a 40 & got an E3. So keep it. It doesn't matter about your grade, what matters is that you put in the effort to do well. With a bit of effort you'll do better than me. LOL.
Haha a lot of my senior mates say 'you'll do better than me' but with their atars past like 91-98... doubtful. I don't know, the head teacher is itching to push me down to advance... not sure if I should give into pressure. I'll probably have a talk with the year advisor and see how that goes

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
no, don't drop.
EE1, done well, can do wonders for your ATAR when it may count. There's been a lot of instances at my school where above cohorts have their EE1 unit count and it "saved" them.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to make sure you are genuinely going to commit to all the subjects you are studying. I am sure teachers don't truly 'hate' students. Just make sure you establish a god relationship with them for these last two years and you will be fine. You need to be quite passionate about English to do well in English extension one-best wishes for this year:)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Nah seriously, when I say I didn't go to class, I still briefly went over notes and other peoples essays otherwise you'll be seriously fucked over for the exams. Only do extension if you're alright at bullshitting essays. If not... Don't, because you'll be setting yourself for failure. Oh and don't doubt what your capable of doing. You're probably an intelligent person, just put in the work and if it doesn't work out, well at least you tried!

enoilgam

HSC
You need to listen to yourself on this - if you enjoy EE1 and think you can do well in it, then you should keep it.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Keep it until term 1 and see how u are going. If u are doing bad then drop it otherwise keep it.

study1234

HSC
Continue with it if you're doing well. Personally, I regret dropping Extension English after Year 11

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)