Should i drop law? Feel so under pressure and sick all the time because of it. (1 Viewer)

lily2013

HSC
I am only in my first semester of Commerce/Law and like a few others I have noticed on UNSW forum (glad I am not alone) I am not enjoying law. My talents lie in more mathematical/commercial stuff. My parents are also trying to force me into law begging me, please do it for me etc (its a complicated thing- i think called saving face? among friends etc and if were to drop out of unsw law, it would dishonour them)
Iknow it is my future and my choice though so I need to make one ASAP

Can a Commerce degree get me a job? I have like no work experience and I am a quiet person
Very anxious and depressed at the moment

stgeorge2

HSC
Depends on how strong your faith is formed from your values, otherwise don't afraid to pursue what you love and what truly makes you happier everyday. :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you thought of combining commerce with another degree like engineering for example?, if you need any help with anything you are confused in law right now, feel free to message me:)-I will be glad to help out with what I can:). Law is full of uncertainties and ambiguities and nuances, and if you are genuinely confident you won't like law, talk to your parents calmly-because this is your future, not your parent's future. You will waste your time and money by studying a degree you don't like rather than pursuing to your strengths-and it is likely to be reflected in your uni marks as well. Best wishes and trust your heart when in doubt:)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I am only in my first semester of Commerce/Law and like a few others I have noticed on UNSW forum (glad I am not alone) I am not enjoying law. My talents lie in more mathematical/commercial stuff. My parents are also trying to force me into law begging me, please do it for me etc (its a complicated thing- i think called saving face? among friends etc and if were to drop out of unsw law, it would dishonour them)
Iknow it is my future and my choice though so I need to make one ASAP

Can a Commerce degree get me a job? I have like no work experience and I am a quiet person
Very anxious and depressed at the moment
asian?

Jokes aside; drop law. Clearly you don't like it in the 1st semester so how do you think you'll find the rest of the degree (another 4 or so years).

Yes commerce alone can get you a job. A law degree will make it easier; however that doesn't mean you will never get a job

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
asian?

Jokes aside; drop law. Clearly you don't like it in the 1st semester so how do you think you'll find the rest of the degree (another 4 or so years).

Yes commerce alone can get you a job. A law degree will make it easier; however that doesn't mean you will never get a job
From what I've heard law in first semester is quite different to other semesters.

I think Trans4M mentioned it gets better or something (again I am unsure).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you never had the passion for law, I would recommend dropping it.

It's a very competitive degree and if your heart isn't it, your WAM/GPA will take a big hit as well.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
From what I've heard law in first semester is quite different to other semesters.

I think Trans4M mentioned it gets better or something (again I am unsure).
Yup it is very different. First semester of law is not even law tbh. It's like a history lesson on the legal system. When you start Semester 2, you will learn substantive law e.g. was this person negligent?

That said some courses are still like ILJ e.g. Crime & Criminal Process is mostly criminology. What is a criminal act? Why are certain acts considered criminal?

To answer OP, if you are certain law isn't for you, speak to your parents nicely about it. Perhaps tell them that you feel really stressed out. Ask them is it more important to them saving face or their child's wellbeing? Find a nicer way to say it of course so it doesn't come off as rude. I am sure if you explain to your parents your situation, they will understand.

It is for this reason I think Law should be like Medicine where there are additional requirements to get in. Lots of people do law simply because they can and then regret it. That said, I probably wouldn't be doing law if it wasn't purely on ATAR :p

2xL

HSC
Same feels here but I'm just gonna struggle through it. IT's the worst during assignment time and exam time (obviously) but apart from that it's ok. The content, I agree, does get more interesting as you go along.

lsdpoon1337

HSC
If you feel that your talents do not lie in law and you are honestly not enjoying it (i.e. puking from the idea of doing readings, exams and assignments) DROP IT NOW!!!! I am a final year commerce/law student from UNSW as well and I can tell you that if you want to do decent in law (i.e. 70+) it is HARD WORK. Yes there is a benefit to studying law, it has taught me discipline and has really been a test of character. But then again, that can be applied to anything that is difficult. The subjects do not get easier until your final year and so you are going to hate yourself for doing something you don't want to do. Yes there is truth that having commerce/law will set you apart from commerce in the interview process but if you show the employer that you are the better candidate in other areas you will get the job over them. There are plenty of law students studying law just because they could get in and are still struggling to find jobs. Unless you are dead set on being a lawyer (which I doubt) do not do law, you will go insane. Out of all the people I know who dropped law not ONE of them regretted the decision and all were motivated and smart enough to find jobs in commerce.

lily2013

HSC
If you feel that your talents do not lie in law and you are honestly not enjoying it (i.e. puking from the idea of doing readings, exams and assignments) DROP IT NOW!!!! I am a final year commerce/law student from UNSW as well and I can tell you that if you want to do decent in law (i.e. 70+) it is HARD WORK. Yes there is a benefit to studying law, it has taught me discipline and has really been a test of character. But then again, that can be applied to anything that is difficult. The subjects do not get easier until your final year and so you are going to hate yourself for doing something you don't want to do. Yes there is truth that having commerce/law will set you apart from commerce in the interview process but if you show the employer that you are the better candidate in other areas you will get the job over them. There are plenty of law students studying law just because they could get in and are still struggling to find jobs. Unless you are dead set on being a lawyer (which I doubt) do not do law, you will go insane. Out of all the people I know who dropped law not ONE of them regretted the decision and all were motivated and smart enough to find jobs in commerce.

wow thank you so much, very inspirational. I had a feeling it would get harder. My parents say commerce is too common but I think going to UNSW is definitely a bonus, and I could find other thigns to set me apart e.g. languages, volunteering.

lily2013

HSC

wow thank you so much, very inspirational. I had a feeling it would get harder. My parents say commerce is too common but I think going to UNSW is definitely a bonus, and I could find other thigns to set me apart e.g. languages, volunteering.

HSC
N/A
Im not sure how the industry sees UNSW, but I think if you have a commerce degree in any australian uni, your just the same as everyone else. What will set you apart however is who you know (not what you know) and previous work experience.

Anyway, I have a friend who too was in a position like you. Instead of being honest with his parents, he lied. He dropped law without letting his parents know. He is now a graduating mechatronic engineering student at UNSW with flying colours.

HSC
N/A
Im not sure how the industry sees UNSW, but I think if you have a commerce degree in any australian uni, your just the same as everyone else. What will set you apart however is who you know (not what you know) and previous work experience.

Anyway, I have a friend who too was in a position like you. Instead of being honest with his parents, he lied. He dropped law without letting his parents know. He is now a graduating mechatronic engineering student at UNSW with flying colours.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
@OP

just drop and YOLO

Who cares if your parents want "face"? It is your life , not theirs.

They might be angry initially, but they'll came down and understand it was the right thing to do :)

(Source: personal life)

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
You should just tell your parents that there are tons of Law graduates and few jobs for those graduates at the moment. Plus if you ever really want to go back to Law, you can always do law school. No need to do Law for your undergraduate years if you hate it that much.

Also, since you said you're interested in the math/commercial side of things, depending on what major you decide to pursue for your Commerce degree, you should be able to find a job after graduating. That being said, tons of people graduate with Commerce every year, so I highly suggest trying to get some relevant work experience to help you stand out from the crowd. If you can't do that, volunteer like crazy to boost your chances.

I think you should just tell them and drop the degree. If you don't, it'll be 4 years of hell and your WAM will suffer. It's just not worth it if you don't enjoy it.

PS: If you want your degree to really stand out from the crowd, go with Maths/Commerce or Engineering/Commerce. Or just do actuarial. xD

hellohelicopter

HSC
N/A
I'm only a 2nd year law student at UNSW but I can honestly say that it gets better. In Semester 1 of my first year, I was thrown into the deep end. My course structure required me to do LAWS1052 and LAWS1141. I had to do two law subjects and had no idea what was going on. I didn't understand how you were meant to study for law (I still don't, but I'm getting better I think) and I found myself swamped with everything. I would say one of the most important things in law school is to not be afraid to speak to other people. I had no friends who did the same course as me and went to every class alone which only made me drown in my sorrows more. Talk to other people, who are probably finding it as hard as you are, and you'll feel better and have someone to study/do your assessments with. I'd say give it another semester. You'll find torts more bearable and interesting!

However, if you're honestly just holding onto law for your parent's sake, it's not a good idea to keep going. At the end of the day, it's you that's putting in the hard yards, so you should get a choice in where all that effort goes.

Stay strong!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)