Should I drop Maths Ext 2? (1 Viewer)

samantha_s

HSC
YBK said:
if you really hate maths then just drop it. But think of the advantages. :D
lol i don't hate maths, but i'm starting to hate 4u maths

666_blessings said:
4u really makes you appreciate just how relatively easy 3u is. I only passed one 4u exam in all of year 12 (out of about 7) and it still scaled pretty well (mid 70's if i recall correctly). Keep at it.
That sounds good! What was your rank?

As all of you are saying, I also have to agree that 4u maths does make 3u seem easier than what I used to think of the subject.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Lol good... you shouldn't hate maths. English should be hated.. but yeah in regards to your decision, I'd keep at 4u for a bit longer as it'll help you with your 3u and if it gets too hard, you should be able to drop down to 2u and do really well in that. But if 4u's workload is too taxing, maybe you should drop it, seeing that you're also unmotivated.

schnookims

*Premium Princess Member*
HSC
It's up to you but i had this dilemma at the beginning of the year and i dropped maths ext 2 just because at the end of the day (well actually after 3 months of worrying and stressing about it) i realised that i dreaded going to classes for 4 unit maths. i loved 2 and 3 unit but i hated 4 unit and i realised that my time spent on 4 unit maths can be spent on other subjects. Sorry dunno if this will help u but yeah so now i have 11 units considering im in top 5 of all my subjects except english where im in top 10.

Raginsheep

HSC
There's nothing wrong with english. You might not enjoy it as a matter of personal preference but certainly it shouldn't inspire (much) hate. Afterall it does what it's name implies; teach english. Unlike some other subjects....

Raginsheep

HSC
Of course she could be averageing 60-70 and fluke out a 90+ in the exam....

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Emph said:
Are you kidding!!!
I know its a matter of personal preference, but I just personally hate english lol. I just find it *really* boring and I hate the subjectivity of it.

xtol

Awesome Geek-e-ness
Locked in my room, in bed, attached to my laptop.
HSC
schnookims said:
It's up to you but i had this dilemma at the beginning of the year and i dropped maths ext 2 just because at the end of the day (well actually after 3 months of worrying and stressing about it) i realised that i dreaded going to classes for 4 unit maths. i loved 2 and 3 unit but i hated 4 unit and i realised that my time spent on 4 unit maths can be spent on other subjects. Sorry dunno if this will help u but yeah so now i have 11 units considering im in top 5 of all my subjects except english where im in top 10.
yeah i agree man. its up to if u like it or not. if u dont like it. get rid of it. dont worry about scaling cos its diff each year. i mean theres no point doing something u dont like even if u think it will help u get a higher uai.

rock on.

samantha_s

HSC
Boxxxhead said:
Lol good... you shouldn't hate maths. English should be hated.. but yeah in regards to your decision, I'd keep at 4u for a bit longer as it'll help you with your 3u and if it gets too hard, you should be able to drop down to 2u and do really well in that. But if 4u's workload is too taxing, maybe you should drop it, seeing that you're also unmotivated.
Hmm I hope 3u doesn't get too hard, but I doubt I'd drop it. Should I be aiming for 80s to 90s in 3u maths?

Raginsheep said:
Of course she could be averageing 60-70 and fluke out a 90+ in the exam....
lol that would seemingly be a miracle.

Hehe I don't hate English! I must admit it can be subjective; I've heard it being described as a psychology course (ie journeys). but still, I think it's fine. My friends say I'm more of an English than Maths/Science person (such thing? lol). I dunno, in some ways I like it because there's a supposed freedom to write what's on your mind, provided you have evidence...

xtol said:
yeah i agree man. its up to if u like it or not. if u dont like it. get rid of it. dont worry about scaling cos its diff each year. i mean theres no point doing something u dont like even if u think it will help u get a higher uai.

rock on.
Yeah i regret dropping ancient history and keeping chemistry or economics because of scaling

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
samantha_s said:
Hmm I hope 3u doesn't get too hard, but I doubt I'd drop it. Should I be aiming for 80s to 90s in 3u maths?
Yes definately. It really isn't that hard if you know what you're doing.

samantha_s said:
lol that would seemingly be a miracle.
Well normally a raw mark of 80+/120 will get you close to a 90 scaled. Just because your school marks are at 60-70/100 doesn't mean that you can't get the 90 scaled.

samantha_s

HSC
sorry, what's exactly is a raw mark? i only have a faint idea, though i've heard it many times

Raginsheep

HSC
Its the straight mark you get if we add up all the marks from your test paper.

Scaled is where they take your raw mark and do all sorts of funky things to it until it emerges in a completely new form.

samantha_s

HSC
That makes things clearer. Hey, although I know I should maximise my marks, is it true that your rankings count more than your marks?

Raginsheep

HSC
Simple answer: Yes; school ranks are more important than the actual mark your school gives you. In most situations this will apply.

Silghtly expanded (can mostly be ignored): I believe that while ranks are important; the difference in marks between ranks is also a factor especially if say 3rd and 4th are seperated by a 0.5 mark difference. I think this only really applies if the difference is small.

samantha_s

HSC
Hmm I think my ranks are top 5 except for MX2; so many people do English Adv, so I'm not sure about that. As for the difference in marks, it varies. In Economics, the highest is 80-something, then about 73, 72 and then me... so it's kind of close after the 1st person. In other subjects it varies by 1-10% between each rank. My Chemistry teacher said that high ranks are important, especially if you have a big percentage lead so it's harder for others to catch up. True?

P

pLuvia

Well if you are higher in rank and there is a wide gap between you and the lower ranked people then yes you are in a very good position and should keep it that way :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)