Should i drop Maths Ext 2? (1 Viewer)

Snow Black

HSC
N/A
Okay this has been bugging me for a while now
I shall explain my position at the moment

Right now I am in that weird transition stage between year 11 and 12 and am currently sitting on 13 units and want to eventually drop something
I haven't decided yet what it is but i am leaning towards Ext 2 maths.
My parents don't want me to drop but i do and here's the following reasons
At tutoring, I'm struggling to understand what is going on in class for maths extension 2.
Because of tutoring, I'm starting to get really stressed out and lose confidence in myself because I have no idea what's going on.
However at school, I'm doing okay not the best but I'm getting there (we haven't had any assessment tasks yet so i can't say for certain whats going to happen but i understand everything in class)

I am incredibly unmotivated to do extension 2 and just want to focus on maths ext 1 (i'm not doing too badly but i could be doing better in both 3U and 2U)
I am also an incredibly lazy person who does not like exerting a lot of effort into something unless its something to do with art or designing stuff

So I'm not too sure what I want to do
Should i:
1. Drop tutoring and self teach myself and hope for the best --> i really want to do this but i wanna see what u guys think
2. Drop ext 2 now
3. Wait for the first assessment task or
4. Keep ext 2 for the scaling?

Any kind of help and advice would be most appreciated

By the way here are my subjects:
English Advanced
SOR 1
Maths 2U
Maths Extension 1
Maths Extension 2
Physics
Information Processes and Technology
Visual Arts

I'm doing ok in majority of my subjects (I'm top 10 in everything except for English and SOR) so I think (hope) that would be enough to reach my goal ATAR of 93 and one of the main reasons I'm doing extension 2 is for the scaling (i know its a horrible reason but I'm not doing atrociously in maths so I just wanted to try it)

Any kind of advice or feedback would be awesome :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
1 if you are able to do that

2 if you don't feel as though you can manage

3 to see how things are going. I reckon number 3 then number 2 then number 1

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Plus u also have 13 units which is unnecessary so drop something

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Get a fucking private tutor instead of going to those awful classes that are obviously not working for you for MX2.

Obviously.

Time&moretime

HSC
I'm writing this on behalf of a close friend. He/she has recently started Ext 2 Maths (new syllabus and all) in a country school. There are only two students. The teacher has missed a couple of classes. Should he/she persist with this subject? Can a student study/teach the content on their own? I read that tutoring may be the 'way-to-go' in solving this problem but there isn't any tutors except for school teachers teaching this 4U Maths in this town. Any suggestions would be appreciated and if anyone who have inspected the new 4U may be able to comment on how rigorous it is? Thanking you ahead for your consideration.:rolleyes:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm writing this on behalf of a close friend. He/she has recently started Ext 2 Maths (new syllabus and all) in a country school. There are only two students. The teacher has missed a couple of classes. Should he/she persist with this subject? Can a student study/teach the content on their own? I read that tutoring may be the 'way-to-go' in solving this problem but there isn't any tutors except for school teachers teaching this 4U Maths in this town. Any suggestions would be appreciated and if anyone who have inspected the new 4U may be able to comment on how rigorous it is? Thanking you ahead for your consideration.:rolleyes:
The new Extension 2 course is now considerably thinner than the old one, and a diligent student can most certainly learn the content on their own. Really, they are not 100% on their own since they do still have a teacher to support them. The parts of the new syllabus where the student may need more guidance would be for the Vectors and Continuous/Binomial Probability Distributions topics, but those are both in Extension 1 anyway. In terms of the new things in Extension 2, they really are minimal and not at all difficult to self-learn.

Time&moretime

HSC
The new Extension 2 course is now considerably thinner than the old one, and a diligent student can most certainly learn the content on their own. Really, they are not 100% on their own since they do still have a teacher to support them. The parts of the new syllabus where the student may need more guidance would be for the Vectors and Continuous/Binomial Probability Distributions topics, but those are both in Extension 1 anyway. In terms of the new things in Extension 2, they really are minimal and not at all difficult to self-learn.
Thank you for replying. Will pass this on to my friend who is actually my brother. Our mom has bought the new Cambridge 4U book for him to get started. So fingers crossed he should persists. Thanks again.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thank you for replying. Will pass this on to my friend who is actually my brother. Our mom has bought the new Cambridge 4U book for him to get started. So fingers crossed he should persists. Thanks again.

You're very welcome! However, I would advise especially for Extension 2 that your brother should be using multiple texts for Extension 2. No textbook is perfect and each text has strengths in areas where another text may fall short.

I would highly suggest getting one book from each major publisher. You already have the Cambridge 4U book, but you should also purchase one copy of Maths in Focus Extension 2 from Cengage Learning (better for self-learn and easier questions) and New Senior Mathematics from Pearson (better for intermediate questions).

Good luck, and remember to ask questions on the forums here if there are any issues!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)