HSC
Hey, I am currently taking 12 units

English adv
Business studies
Economics
Geography
Maths 2U
Physics

I am wishing to drop physics, but that would only give me 10 units. my physics grades in year 11 were average to say the least, but overall similar to my maths grades

averaging around 75% :(

The problem is i hate physics! an have developed an "attitude" towards the subject, but is it worth only having 10 units!??

I keep on saying to myself that dropping physics will give me more time to focus on my maths grades, and that if i don't drop it i will achieve similar results in both subjects that i wont be pleased with.

Is there anyone out there who can give an honest opinion on this? Is there anyone who has or is currently doing 10 units of work, list whether they think 10 or 12 units is the better option etc.. ?

thanks in advance

:)

i hope what i have said makes sense...

HSC
Dropping back to 10 units for the sake of going back to 10 units is asking for trouble.

75% is still a decent score in Physics...I think you should still keep it as a non serious backup in case you fuck up another subject.

But, if you hate it *that* much maybe dropping it isn't such a bad idea. Don't drop it because you think you will give yourself more time for other subjects because what it will do is give you more time to waste.

jaaaaay

HSC
physics was really disappointing for me. i got 88 for physics in the hsc... i didn't think it was such a bad mark. but it was the subject that didn't count =/ if u hate it so much, i don't think its a subject worth doing...

emperor90

HSC
Yeah... i know what you mean about the units thing

a backup is what i would like, but at the end of the day would similar grades in physics and maths make a whole lot of difference to the UAI?

thanks for your comments

really confused still lol

vizman

HSC
emperor90 said:
Hey, I am currently taking 12 units

English adv
Business studies
Economics
Geography
Maths 2U
Physics

I am wishing to drop physics, but that would only give me 10 units. my physics grades in year 11 were average to say the least, but overall similar to my maths grades

averaging around 75% :(

The problem is i hate physics! an have developed an "attitude" towards the subject, but is it worth only having 10 units!??

I keep on saying to myself that dropping physics will give me more time to focus on my maths grades, and that if i don't drop it i will achieve similar results in both subjects that i wont be pleased with.

Is there anyone out there who can give an honest opinion on this? Is there anyone who has or is currently doing 10 units of work, list whether they think 10 or 12 units is the better option etc.. ?

thanks in advance

:)

i hope what i have said makes sense...
definitely hold onto it. i averaged around 78% for physics throughout year 12 - ended up getting 90 for physics :D

HSC
I dropped Physics going from year 11 to year 12, so I could spend more time doing 4unit maths.

I can't imagine how that justification could possibily work for 2unit maths, which is not only very easy, but also doesn't take much time IMO.

I also dropped for the sake of having less units, however I still had IT as backup, not that it counted since I had 10 other units (so I did 14 units before dropping).

I however, made the decision based on this logic:
1. I knew that I would do very very very good in my 3 computing subjects, better than any other subject easily.
2. I knew that English had to count
3. I was doing 4unit maths, and I was told it scales well, and at worst I could have dropped ext2 in time for the hsc, and still have 2unit + ext1 which was good (didn't come to that), so that was going to go good either way.

I loved Physics, but found it hard towards the end of year 11 none-the-less, so my marks were the worst of all my subjects I think, so that's why I made the decision to drop.

IF Physics is your worst subject, and you truly despise it, there is zero reason in keeping it, since only your best 10 units will go towards the hsc, and so you would end up wasting hundreds of hours on it, to get nothing out of it.

Unless it's a prerequisite or assumed knowledge for your desired uni vourse. Is it?

emperor90

HSC
no physics isn't a prerequisite for any course i want to do. i only chose physics to broaden my options if i ever did decide to change my mind on courses..i though a science would open more doors

the justification can work for 2 unit maths, not everyone is intelligent enough to take 3 or 4 unit maths... :) its not that i find the 2 unit coursework difficult... i just dont always perform well in exams etc..

my thinking was that more time could be spent on refining my maths etc

thanks for all your comments.. they are putting alot of thoughts into place :)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Just drop it if you hate it too much. I'm going to drop IPT, for god's sake, as it gets scaled down anyway---> not a good choice for UAI. I neither hate it nor like it but I want to spend more time on 4u and others subs. I drop it thusly.

You're in a better position than me as Physics will get scaled up like ... yay! but IPT is the opposite. I wanted to do Physics but the class was full so I got kicked off. That's bullshit.

Anyway, you probably find it easier if you keep PHYSICS since it will help you in 3u and 4u maths (Calculus to physical worlds and Mechanics) I think, keeping it is not a big deal as you are proficient enough.

HSC
I'm doing both 2U maths and physics atm and i'm more inclined to science than maths. But i did a few experiments on sam (which i know isn't the last word but nevertheless pretty accurate) and physics does scale better than 2U maths. I mean, depends on the canditor but in 2007 HSC the median mark in 2U was 76% and the mark in physics was 75%. It's up to you but i'd keep it. You might be surprised at what subjects are actually used in the calulation of your uai. Best of luck.
Cheers.

Zephyrio

HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
I'm doing both 2U maths and physics atm and i'm more inclined to science than maths. But i did a few experiments on sam (which i know isn't the last word but nevertheless pretty accurate) and physics does scale better than 2U maths. I mean, depends on the canditor but in 2007 HSC the median mark in 2U was 76% and the mark in physics was 75%. It's up to you but i'd keep it. You might be surprised at what subjects are actually used in the calulation of your uai. Best of luck.
Cheers.
In 2007, 2U maths scaled better than physics.

They usually scale about the same.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
your avg mark isnt as important as your rank. what is your rank? i know that at my school a 75% would get you a decent rank. physics is generally harder than most subjects. . .

personally i feel that hsc physics is more interesting than prelim.

my advice would be to hold on until the half yearlies, then make a decision based on your capabilities and ranks.

Also, do you really have to drop something? Is 12 units really bogging you down?

emperor90

HSC
sorry i should of stated what i wanted to study earlier on :) ha

i wish to study business/commerce at university so my assumed knowledge is maths.
which at newcastle is around 85..higher obviously for sydney and UNSW!

i have been thinking about more recently..that if i ended up keeping physics which i know to be the sensible "back up" option then i would end up just leaving it and will end focusing on the subjects i like to do...which in the long run would probably be a waste of time as it wouldn't end up being counted in my uai!! unless by some miracle i do really well pffft

maybe i should wait to the half yearlys...but i know i'll end up not studying for it because my other subjects are so much more important to me!!

all your comments are great!! thanks alot!! :)

my teacher says that im prety much in teh midddle ranking for physics so about 17 or 18/35

Last edited:

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I have a friend that wants to drop physics and keep drama. He wants to get into optomitry (don't know how to spell it but you know what i mean - the person that gives you glasses) so he needs a pretty high UAI. He is more than capeable of doing very well at physics but he finds it boring. He thinks he will do good enough at drama. He is good at it - top of his class, but as I have a out of school drama background but dropped it in year 11 I can say that there is only one other person in the class that can act at all.

I am worried that his GDP will drag his drama mark down and he will be disappointed.... His teachers think he should keep Physics, except his drama teacher of course. I was just wondering if anyone here has an opinion on this?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Keep it until the half-yearlies. With the results and ranks in your hands, make a decision that you will not regret. If your attitude towards Physics hasn't changed, drop it because you won't do as well in a subject if you loathe it. Concentrate on your other units, and be cautious to actually use your free periods to an extent to do work rather than constantly bludge.

If you do well, keep it. Continue with Physics until you eventually just give up on it because you find it disinteresting, or that the ranks and marks you achieve are having an impact on your other subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)