• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I drop religion? Why/Why not? (1 Viewer)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Why do you want to drop it? Also, if you are going to drop it, are you going to be replacing it? Sorry, but you can't just give such minimal information and expect people to respond to your thread with any useful advice. Some background information would be helpful.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
so if you able to drop it, that would mean you dont go to a catholic school, furthermore, that means you picked religion by choice?

tambourine

HSC
Ok. Sorry. You're right. I'd drop down to Catholic Studies (Non-UAI). I want to drop it because the workload of all my other subjects are getting too much..especially maths obviously. I don't enjoy it and I'm only doing it as a back up, because I'm not good in english and I'm scared that I won't do as good as I want to in my other subjects.

Is that sufficient information? :)

bozin

HSC
nah dont drop it
from personal experience it was counted and only one of my economics units were counted wen calculating the uai last yr cos i did semi bad in that subject (eco).
unless u suk at it too much the get rid of it

cal.

Banned
HSC
your english units count regardless, doing sor because you're not good at english is useless.

kevinant

HSC
tambourine said:
Ok. Sorry. You're right. I'd drop down to Catholic Studies (Non-UAI). I want to drop it because the workload of all my other subjects are getting too much..especially maths obviously. I don't enjoy it and I'm only doing it as a back up, because I'm not good in english and I'm scared that I won't do as good as I want to in my other subjects.

Is that sufficient information? :)
I reckon you are in similar kind of school as my sister's .
I don't think there's a difference between doing Catholic Studies and SOR....you still get virtually same amount of homework. Unless you cares about numbers on your HSC credential otherwise I don't think it's a big deal to drop down.

williamc

HSC
The following is a true story:

-Finished economics exam on the 6th (last proper exam) with re 1 next day
-went and got incredbuly drunk that i had to get mum to drop me at school in the morning.
-did mc in 2 minutes and rest took me about 30 mins with hungover.
-i had done no previous study.
-left at the hour.
-got 37/50 lol.

In saying that, my raw mark must have been like a 20/50 and they just aligned it to the shithouse coz it is soo shit and im in the bottom 50% of the course.

My scaled mark would have also been da shithouse so it had no chance of counting on my UAI. For it to count on a 'good' UAI you will have to get over 45/50 which imo would be fucking easy if you actually try, which i decided from early on i wouldn't bother.

I actually recommend you keep it and try, unless it is inflicting upon ya other subs too much. You shall make this decision.

Last edited:

eddy11

HSC
1. it actually scales really well apparently.
2. Its heaps easy to do well in.
3. Its not a brainwashing subject anyway, my teacher for it (at a catholic school) taught me how the religion is based upon doctrine created as a money maker to build st peters bascillica and fuel the popes lavish and corrupt lifestyle
4. Its compulsory at our school (no catholic studies avail. cos its useless) and every year, 9/10 students contribute it to their UAI becuase its easy and scales supprisingly well, equal with bio and not to far from chem, phys and maths 2 unit, higher or equal with both histories (not ext)

Slim9

HSC
Do religion, its so worth it. I am doing 11 units and i really enjoy it. It's always good to have a back up unit. 11 units is the best combination i believe, unless you have done a subject accelerated. Keep it! I don't go to a catholic school and therfore i choose S.O.R, but make your own decison!

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
Is there a point in doing Catholic Studies when you still have to do all the work to fulfill the course requirements but you have absolutely no chance of it contributing for the HSC? This is just my opinion but yeah I do SOR (yes only because it is a choice between Catholic Studies) but even though it is definately not my favorite subject, I would never do a subject that had no chance of being worth anything

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
My personal advice is to NOT drop down to Catholic Studies. As some others have mentioned, it does scale relatively well and the subject doesn't require a genius to achieve great marks.

Oh, and to those who claim SOR to be a 'brainwashing' course-- it's quite the opposite :eek:.

Grey Matter

HSC
Catholic Studies is what I call a "waste of time." It's Non-UAI and will give you VERY little in the long run, unless you intend to become a Priest. :burn:

SOR on the other hand, is quite useful, especially in trying to understand the world we live in.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
I did catholic studies; I didn't want to have to do much work, and our teacher let us have lessons where we continued with HSC relevant work - in other words - Catholic studies was really some very good 3 unit maths study time! :D

I guess it depends on how awesome your teacher is - if you know they're strict on you doing the catholic studies stuff in-class, obviously just stick to SOR, and do maths study there or something.

HSC
I did Studies of Religion 1 and was able to get a great mark (48/50) without much work as it was simple stuff to remember...

If you want to keep that extra unit in case, this is a good unit to have as a backup.

Goodluck with your choice!

shorty .

HSC
DONT DROP !
i shall miss you if u do .
who else will we copy answer off ??
come on 'tamborine' . dont dog me && ... well u kno who.
the one who sits next to me.
haha dw i kno u love our class.
we rock . =]

karnage

HSC
Apparently ive been told its quite easy to go well in, so why not :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)