Should I have done Physics? (2 Viewers)

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
So its fine if I don't know the equation/formula to finding magnetic field strength or the kinetic energy yet?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Warning

Some people providing advice here are very ready to help and are well-meaning. But they are smart students. What works for them may not necessarily work for others.
Agreed.

So its fine if I don't know the equation/formula to finding magnetic field strength or the kinetic energy yet?
Of course! You do not need to know that. If you did, you would be more than ready. Magnetic fields are dealt with in Year 11 and 12. A tiny bit of kinetic energy is dealt with in Year 10.

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
I just have an question; do most Physics problems recquire some math problem to solve them or are a lot of them just skills thinking? If so, can you give some examples of each?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I just have an question; do most Physics problems recquire some math problem to solve them or are a lot of them just skills thinking? If so, can you give some examples of each?
I would say the questions you get in Year 11 are very generic. But some questions require application and high order thinking.

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
Looking at the past HSC papers, I don't see many math questions at all. It all recquires skills and thinking.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Looking at the past HSC papers, I don't see many math questions at all. It all recquires skills and thinking.
Remember, that's Year 12. Also the questions you get are more than do-able. So don't be nervous, myself and all the BOS community are here to (eat) I mean help you.

Last edited:

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
I'm fairly good at maths so as long as I can remember the formulas and know how to apply them, I should be fairly alright with the math problems. The reason I chose Physics is because I feel like I can understand it more than Chemistry or Biology which are so boring for me.

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
Are you in year 12? How do you find the subject? Lots of strategic thinking?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I'm fairly good at maths so as long as I can remember the formulas and know how to apply them, I should be fairly alright with the math problems. The reason I chose Physics is because I feel like I can understand it more than Chemistry or Biology which are so boring for me.
It is good doing research and asking fellow students right now, so I applaud you for your efforts. Always choose something you love. Go off and explore the outside world while you still have a chance! I am in Year 11, but I do pertain some Year 12 knowledge of some of my subjects. In my opinion the Preliminary course is very basic. Know what your weaknesses are, know how to fix them and most importantly ask for help.

Last edited:

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
Yeah, thanks a lot. I really do wanna Physics for my HSC year, I thought of doing another subject as a back up for Year 12 if I don't wanna do Physics for my HSC year, but that subject which is CAFS I hate and regret choosing so much.

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
Btw, what is velocity? I mean, I know what it is but I want to know it in very simple terms.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Btw, what is velocity? I mean, I know what it is but I want to know it in very simple terms.
Velocity is the rate of change of displacement. It is a vector quantity meaning it has direction and magnitude. (ie. west)

The velocity formula is given by

Where,

= Velocity (I should also note that this is average velocity.)

= Change in displacement

= Change in time

That is the basic definition for velocity. Further details will be investigated in Year 11 such as how to calculate it and finding out values with velocity/time graphs etc.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll do well if you have a good teacher/tutor or you go over everything ahead of the class... Otherwise you could be fucked.

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
And what exactly is displacement? Isn't it the distance between your starting point and your finishing point? For example, if I climbed over a mountain then just for example, my distance is 120m, but the distance from Point A (starting point) to Point B (finishing point) is 20m so my displacement is 20m while my distance is 120m?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
And what exactly is displacement? Isn't it the distance between your starting point and your finishing point? For example, if I climbed over a mountain then just for example, my distance is 120m, but the distance from Point A (starting point) to Point B (finishing point) is 20m so my displacement is 20m while my distance is 120m?
Kind of...

Let's have a classic example. Now I have a dog, let's call me him Bob. He is on a circular race track with a distance of 300 metres. So now, off Bob goes! He is running around the race track doing one lap. Now he is back to his starting position.

i) What is his distance travelled?

Answer: His distance is 300 metres.

ii) What is his displacement?

Answer: Zero.

Reason: Displacement is the measure of how far you travel RESPECTIVE to your starting position.

Another example,

A man ran 20 metres to the west, then 10 metres to the east.

i) What is his distanced travelled?

Answer: 30 metres.

ii) What is his displacement?

Answer: 10 metres west.

[Note: Displacement is a vector quantity so that means it must have magnitude and direction.]

Our "10 metres" was the MAGNITUDE and our "west" was our DIRECTION.

[Note: Distance is a scalar quantity so that means it only has magnitude but not direction.]

Our "30 metres" was the MAGNITUDE but there was no direction given.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Displacement is a vector and hence has direction, i.e. East/West/North/South/Up/Down/Left/Right

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
Oh ok, so if I run to my house which is for example 400 m from me, and then I go back left (west) 300m, my distance is 400m but my displacement is 100m??

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Oh ok, so if I run to my house which is for example 400 m from me, and then I go back left (west) 300m, my distance is 400m but my displacement is 100m??
Your distance is 700 metres. Your displacement is correct, just make sure your displacement has direction too.

QuantumQueen

HSC
N/A
Oh yeah because I have to cover my whole walking distance, not just the distance between my my house and my starting. So my displacement would be 100m west??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)