Should I keep Japanese Continuers for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

mp2250

HSC
As a student who has studied Japanese for pretty much their whole Hogh School life, I'm surprisingly bad at it.
I've found that my grades have been slipping in comparison to my previous years, and I'm struggling to keep up with the Kanji workload... I'm ranked 12th out of a class of 13 ;-; (granted I attend a selective high school...)

Does it get easier in the HSC? What is the Japanese Continuers like in regards to exams in year 12? And does anyone have any tips for learning Kanji???

Last edited:

mp2250

HSC
I'm not sure if I'm actually going bad, or just in comparison to my cohort...
It's a class of 13 where the marks are incredibly high and the students are like, crazy mad about it and most are planning on doing extension Japanese (which is a death wish oh god). I'm great in comparison to people from other schools, but my class rank is freaking me out ;n;

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a class of 13 where the marks are incredibly high and the students are like, crazy mad about it and most are planning on doing extension Japanese (which is a death wish oh god). I'm great in comparison to people from other schools, but my class rank is freaking me out ;n;

How do previous cohorts at your school perform in Japanese?
What does your teacher thinks of your marks/attitude etc?
Ask your teacher they may have a better understanding...

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

What rank is your school, I notice with Japanese quite a few schools get inflated high marks and it all depends on the teachers, around 1/4-1/3 of the cohort go on to do Japanese extension, depending how big it is. Rank will not matter if everyone does well (as long as your not last), thats the magic of top 20 rank schools (especially top 5)

mp2250

HSC
What rank is your school, I notice with Japanese quite a few schools get inflated high marks and it all depends on the teachers, around 1/4-1/3 of the cohort go on to do Japanese extension, depending how big it is. Rank will not matter if everyone does well (as long as your not last), thats the magic of top 20 rank schools (especially top 5)
I'm not sure how we rank in Japanese, but we're only about 39th overall...
The class is pretty top class though, but our teacher can't teach the Japanese Extension class as she says it's "too hard".
That makes me feel a bit better though :)

Even better :)

Have you asked your teacher?
She says that the Japanese Continuers course is worthwhile, but she hasn't really talked to me in regards to my ranking.
I think I could probably go well in the HSC, but i'm not sure how my cohort will affect my results...

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I continued Japanese Continuers, but dropped it last term.
The problem with a language is the work load is equivalent to 3U.
Suggestion: only do it if you (i) enjoy it very much and good at it ; and (ii) are not doing 12 or more units of work.

mp2250

HSC
I continued Japanese Continuers, but dropped it last term.
The problem with a language is the work load is equivalent to 3U.
Suggestion: only do it if you (i) enjoy it very much and good at it ; and (ii) are not doing 12 or more units of work.
I enjoy it, but I'm not overly great it (I probably don't put in enough effort tbh), and I'm only going to do 10 units hopefully....

I guess I really still do need to mull over it... :(

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
my tips for learning kanji is flashcards; I didn't use them. But I made tables of kanji. You're best bet to practice writing and then you will be able to use it. Don't be like the guy who was top in my year, who used additional kanji beyond the prescribed ones.

Stick to the prescribed ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)