Should I pick up another sub, after doing bad in one I accelerated? (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
So last year I did 2 subjects for HSC, Biology (82) which i was pretty happy with and then a 69 for mathematics which i never want to count for my ATAR.

This means that i'm back down to the 12 or 10 unit debate, should I pick up another subject (general mathematics) to replace my poor mathematics result, or just focus on my four other subjects?

ATAR aim is 85+ and atm I want to do a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary) at uni.

Here's my year 11 results, in case that helps: :)
SOR II 1/1 - but basically was doing pretty well in this sub late 80s- early 90s in all assessments - the sort of course i think i can ace :)
IPT 1/10 - i got 92% in my yearly exam, but so far the hsc course seems way different and i'm not sure if i could or have kept this up yet :S
Business Studies 1/10 - got 80 something % and definitely feel that i can improve heaps this year and am really loving the course

Advanced English - only started it last term, so i have no idea how i really am at it, but ranking won't matter at all because again there's only me, which means that its all down to my hsc exam again - so far though i've been getting positive feedback (if that counts for anything lol)

Thanks to everyone that responds :)

Last edited:

wendybird

HSC
This means that i'm back down to the 12 or 10 unit debate, should I pick up another subject (general mathematics) to replace my poor mathematics result, or just focus on my four other subjects?
Not a great idea to replace 2U Maths with General - General teaches completely different content (or the same content but worked completely differently with a calculator), the exam formats are very diffeent, and I hear the marking is extremely finniky.

Basically, no real guarantee that you will ace General if you've done 2U as they are too different to give you a real advantage. Have you considered doing 2U again? You will probably get a decent mark going over the content again.

Or, you could just not do maths I suppose. But it aligns and scales relatively well, which is actually quite rewarding in terms of how it counts for the ATAR.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I'd do 2U again, you already have an understanding of the whole course, just put more effort in going over everything.

mRJoJo

Spacebook
HSC
N/A
Not a great idea to replace 2U Maths with General - General teaches completely different content (or the same content but worked completely differently with a calculator), the exam formats are very diffeent, and I hear the marking is extremely finniky.

Basically, no real guarantee that you will ace General if you've done 2U as they are too different to give you a real advantage. Have you considered doing 2U again? You will probably get a decent mark going over the content again.

Or, you could just not do maths I suppose. But it aligns and scales relatively well, which is actually quite rewarding in terms of how it counts for the ATAR.
the scaling for general math is extremely bad.
the subject is capped and you can only get a max of a 91 scaled mark

but then again your ATAR aim is relatively low compared to a lot of other people
on the site; so you should be fine and have nothing to worry about :)

wendybird

HSC
^ I'm not sure why you highlighted that part of my post in your quote.

But to clarify - based on what my friends told me, (and they, not I did General maths), the questions are extremely easy, however one easily loses marks because of various minor silly mistakes. The markers are apparently pedantic about every single nitty gritty bit. Whereas in 2U you can get away with silly mistakes with ECF (error carried forwards), or getting marks for working.

Also, no need to be patronising to the OP just because he has a lower ATAR aim. As long as it gets him into a course that he wants, that's all that matters.

Again, I strongly suggest either doing 2U again (as it scales well, aligns well, and the OP is likely to do well second time round), or dropping maths entirely if he really doesn't like maths.

xNinjax

HSC
Wow 92% in IPT pre-lim Yearly. Well i got around 58% in my pre-lim yearly and ended up with a HSC mark 93 .

If you are getting raw mark 85% + I'm sure you will able to get a band 6 in IPT.Btw my HSC-trial was only 78%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)