Should I pursue law? (1 Viewer)

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
I say go for it, worse comes to worse you hate it and change again. Just put some time into before lectures, during them and afterwards and you'll be fine.

(Y)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
They did good in the UMAT probs :p
Nahh man, no UMAT required for JCU med or dent. I had my application reviewed by people on MSO; some of whom received an interview offer and got accepted into med.
They all said that my application was good and should've been enough for an interview. Though it wasn't perfect as I could've improved my handwriting and some things here and there!
I had two brilliant letter of supports, one written by the head teacher of science and other by the school principle; both emphasising what I had in my app (lived in a rural community for 10 years etc). I just don't know what happened :/ There are people getting in with high credit GPAs.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
I'm one of those people that fervently believes that if you have a passion, you should continue to go for it. You obviously really want to do medicine/dentistry, and don't have nearly as much passion for law. Seriously, with your passion and willpower, I think you'll get in eventually. If you'd much rather go for medicine than law, then I'd recommend doing a uni course where you can get really good marks, then try for post grad medicine.

I know quite a few people who wanted to do medicine, didn't get in, then did something like law and aren't happy. I also know people who didn't get into medicine first time, reapplied, then got in, and are really happy and are so glad that they kept on trying.

So I wouldn't give up on your passion yet; yes, it's hard to get in, but you are such a hardworker; I'm sure if you want something that bad, you'll get it.

Anyway, I wish you all the best in whatever you choose to pursue!

Last edited:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I say go for it, worse comes to worse you hate it and change again. Just put some time into before lectures, during them and afterwards and you'll be fine.

(Y)
Thanks man, worse comes to worse I'll drop out from the Law degree and just continue with commerce there!

Xt

HSC
N/A
My dream had always been to study medicine/dentistry and become a brilliant health professional serving the community. But after numerous attempts it at I didn't get in, and I don't know if I ever will (so discouraging -.-)
Hey Safraaz, congratulations on the offer for Law at USYD - an amazing accomplishment but I agree with some of the other posts that your love indeed lies within the Medical Field. I'm assuming this would have been your 2nd time applying for Medicine so not that numerous.

The difficulty with applying for Undergraduate Medicine is the UMAT. Your basically competing against the best of the best and the fact you can't really prepare for it doesn't help at all. I'd suggest you complete your degree and prepare for GAMSAT. GAMSAT can be studied for and its much easier to get into Medicine via that route.

I have friends who are attempting for their 5th year now and one has finally made it in! So don't give up now, your still young so keep attempting it. If you pursue Law you may end up regretting this decision.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
If you pursue Law you may end up regretting this decision.
words of encouragement right there... if you don't like it, just do an internal transfer into a medical degree... BOOM!

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Just a few more questions; are there a lot of presentations involved in Law or is it more theory-based and requires a lot of self study and discipline?
By presentations, I refer to speeches, mooting and general PowerPoint presentations in tutorials. How would the practicality of Law school compare to other faculties (e.g. Business or Science school).
And how are Law assignments like? Are they research intensive and of a case study nature?
It'll be greatly appreciated if a 1st year law student answered these questions with the benefit of hindsight!
Thanks again :)

Last edited:

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
You will be a better person working as a dentist.

Just a few more questions; are there a lot of presentations involved in Law or is it more theory-based and requires a lot of self study and discipline?
Not a lot of presentations. There is something called "class participation" which is usually weighted - basically you have to talk in class.

Self-study is essential. You get approximately 3-4 contact hours per subject. If you do not do your readings before class you won't have a clue what the lecturer is talking about. You get approx. 25-30 pages of material per 2 hour class, but this can go as high as 70-100 pages. Expect around 200 pages of readings per week + assignments..etc. If you are aiming for the big4 then you would be doing extracurricular on top.

Assignment wise it's mix of research essays, case notes and problem questions. Some courses have "novel" assignments like making a poster or video. Most assignments will involve research.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
You will be a better person working as a dentist.

Not a lot of presentations. There is something called "class participation" which is usually weighted - basically you have to talk in class.

Self-study is essential. You get approximately 3-4 contact hours per subject. If you do not do your readings before class you won't have a clue what the lecturer is talking about. You get approx. 25-30 pages of material per 2 hour class, but this can go as high as 70-100 pages. Expect around 200 pages of readings per week + assignments..etc. If you are aiming for the big4 then you would be doing extracurricular on top.

Assignment wise it's mix of research essays, case notes and problem questions. Some courses have "novel" assignments like making a poster or video. Most assignments will involve research.
Thank you so much for your reply :)
haha I will try for dentistry again next year!

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
What kind of extracurricular?
I was thinking of the same. Perhaps things like volunteer work at the university (student support, mentor/tutor etc...), internships and vocational work. And if you're passionate about public speaking or are an extrovert; maybe consider things like mooting competitions. These things would look great on your resume! Maybe someone else who has been through this process can better answer the question. I'm also looking forward to hearing from someone who has made it into one of the big4!

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I was thinking of the same. Perhaps things like volunteer work at the university (student support, mentor/tutor etc...), internships and vocational work. And if you're passionate about public speaking or are an extrovert; maybe consider things like mooting competitions. These things would look great on your resume! Maybe someone else who has been through this process can better answer the question. I'm also looking forward to hearing from someone who has made it into one of the big4!
Anything outside of your studies that you can use to highlight your skills (e.g communication skills). This can include sport, internships , mooting and debating or anything else.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
- there are plenty of community legal centres which take many students on a volunteer basis (looks really good on CV)
- Mooting competitions also look great
- the Magistrates Court, County Court (District Court in NSW, I think) and Supreme Courts have programs which you can get yourself in and volunteer your time... (have to get accepted but and there is a big queue of willing participants)
- Lots of legal organisations you can become a member of eg: Amnesty International, etc... (Doesn't really count for much, don't bother with it; unless you are going to devote a lot of time to it)
- Sports!!!! Play them, don't be like a lot of law student plebs and neglect this one (you will get fat, it looks good on a CV too)
- There are a lot of NGO's and Non profit organisations that handle pro bono work that take volunteers... eg: Public Interest Law Clearing House
- There are normally opportunities on campus too...

hope that helped you out somewhat...

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
What kind of extracurricular?
Anything that tickles your fancy. Doesn't have to be related to your field of study. Explore around once you start uni.

I'm also looking forward to hearing from someone who has made it into one of the big4!
I did. I re-emphasise that you will be a better person being a dentist, you will be loved and respected, and you will have a clean conscience.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Anything that tickles your fancy. Doesn't have to be related to your field of study. Explore around once you start uni.

I did. I re-emphasise that you will be a better person being a dentist, you will be loved and respected, and you will have a clean conscience.
If only it was that easy to get in! Easily said than done :(
I applied for JCU dentistry and didn't get an offer in the main round. I don't think that they make a lot of offers in the 6th of February round! Will gladly accept an offer if I get one. What do you think I should do? Realistically speaking; is it easy to maintain a Distinction average in 1st year combined law? Thanks again :)

Last edited:

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
If only it was that easy to get in! Easily said than done :(
I applied for JCU dentistry and didn't get an offer in the main round. I don't think that they make a lot of offers in the 6th of February round! Will gladly accept an offer if I get one. What do you think I should do?
I am just being whimsical with my own misfortune. Although seriously drop out rate in law is very high. I know quite a few people dropping and went and did teaching, pharmacy, medicine...etc. What worries me is that you seem unsure if you really want to do law at all.

The big4 isn't fun either, you will hear that the turnover rate is astounding, but I hope you will get a different experience.

Realistically speaking; is it easy to maintain a Distinction average in 1st year combined law? Thanks again :)
Statistically ~35% of all students will get that or above, so it's achievable. It won't be 'easy' though. You will have to be the type of students who does his readings regularly. Even then, I know people who get crappy marks simply because they aren't cut out for law, or they just aren't used to tackling law stuff.

Last edited:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I am just being whimsical with my own misfortune.
Can you elaborate a bit more on this? Were you once a med/dent hopeful also? What made you give up? Maybe inbox me about it.

What worries me is that you seem unsure if you really want to do law at all.
Yeah, I'm somewhat unsure about it. As I mentioned before, I never really studied legal studies in high school and that this will be a new experience for me. I'll do law if it means getting into one of the big4 or having an array of opportunities (of course I'll need the grades also). But my passion will always lie in medicine/dentistry as it's something that I've been aspiring to get into since childhood.

The big4 isn't fun either, you will hear that the turnover rate is astounding, but I hope you will get a different experience.
Wow, I hope so too! Why do you think the turnover rate is so high? How has your experience been with one of the big4?

Statistically ~35% of all students will get that or above, so it's achievable. It won't be 'easy' though. You will have to be the type of students who does his readings regularly. Even then, I know people who get crappy marks simply because they aren't cut out for law, or they just aren't used to tackling law stuff.
Fair enough! If the law part is too difficult; I'll just drop down to a regular commerce. Or perhaps combine commerce with science to keep my passion alive. But doing something other than med/dent will keep reminding me about my misfortune. Will probably make me feel like a loser and I'll end up doubting myself. Hence why I never really pursued tertiary science. If others can transfer into med for an irrelevant degree (which is not science related), why can't I?

Last edited:

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
The only way you will know if you will like practicing law is to try your hand at it. It is not like you are choosing between medicine/dentistry and law at this point in time. If it were, then I would say def. go for med, but since you don't have that opportunity at the moment, I say go ahead, carpe diem, make the most of this amazing opportunity you have been given.

It will still be an amazing opportunity if you end up hating it - you will grow so much as a person, and have even stronger resolve to do med. On the other hand, if it turns out you really enjoy law, you are in the best possible position you could be.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
The only way you will know if you will like practicing law is to try your hand at it. It is not like you are choosing between medicine/dentistry and law at this point in time. If it were, then I would say def. go for med, but since you don't have that opportunity at the moment, I say go ahead, carpe diem, make the most of this amazing opportunity you have been given.

It will still be an amazing opportunity if you end up hating it - you will grow so much as a person, and have even stronger resolve to do med. On the other hand, if it turns out you really enjoy law, you are in the best possible position you could be.
Absolutely, thanks a lot man :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)