Should i read the bible? (1 Viewer)

heybraham

HSC
just because you watch too much tv don't mean that anything that's not perceived as possible on tv is a fantasy.

think Moses didn't lead millions of people thru the RED SEA? you're probably right, because he lead them thru the REED SEA (recently found the discrepancy was lost in translation), a rather shallow sea in which Heavy Western winds can cause the waters to 'split'.

don't believe in Noah's Ark? well, you don't have to...

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/genetic_rainbow.htm
but here's some reasoning for your certain 'fantasy'

yeah u can call that a fantasy if you want.

Last edited:

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
Im also a Muslim and ive read the Bible a couple of times. I found way too many contradictions, errors and scientific inconsistencies to really afford it the status of being the Word of God. I believe God did send the Gospels down with the Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) however over time, (as im sure an unbiased christian minister will admit) they have been changed and the meanings have been lost in translation.
Im a scientific person and so i only believe in what makes sense and in a book of God i would expect there to be descriptions of accurate scientific phenomena which i have to date, only found in the Quran.
Genesis itself is in complete and utter disagreement with what modern science tells us and i have difficulty believing that God would send us false information about the beginnings of the universe. Obvious conclusion? Genesis was altered by man and can therefore not be considered the infallible word of God.

heybraham

HSC
Genesis isn't flawed...it's just lost in tranlation...

when God 'made' the world in 6 days, he appointed it (the Hebrew word for appoint was translated to make) , he simply decided on his creation in 6 steps ending on the 7th.

if you've ever read poems, you'd understand what metaphors are....

heybraham

HSC
SabtheLab said:
Im also a Muslim and ive read the Bible a couple of times. I found way too many contradictions, errors and scientific inconsistencies to really afford it the status of being the Word of God. I believe God did send the Gospels down with the Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) however over time, (as im sure an unbiased christian minister will admit) they have been changed and the meanings have been lost in translation.
Im a scientific person and so i only believe in what makes sense and in a book of God i would expect there to be descriptions of accurate scientific phenomena which i have to date, only found in the Quran.
Genesis itself is in complete and utter disagreement with what modern science tells us and i have difficulty believing that God would send us false information about the beginnings of the universe. Obvious conclusion? Genesis was altered by man and can therefore not be considered the infallible word of God.
yes i used to think there were contradictions and errors and discrepancies, but i realised, these discrepancies only proved how true they were. you say there are discrepancies, but do bear in mind the Bible is written by not only 1 individual but brought down by many during different time periods...if there are no discrepancies, the work may seem colluded and fabricated...not good. i cannot say the same for the Quran as it came from a singular source with scientific proofs...but there is also scientific proof in buddhism...and that's just a philosophy...

in a crime scene, if one witness said they heard the shot a bit past 8, another said 8:30, another said 8.25...it'd sound more convincing than if all witnesses said it was 8.23 exactly.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
And yes i have read a brief history of time.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i say read the bible..the torah..the koran(especially coz im muslim and i encourage anyone to read the koran)
and other religious texts..for the sake of it
and especially for knowledge

read the bible
read jewish books etc..read otehr religious stuff
nothing to loose?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
something_funny said:
convince me of the wonders of this text!
yes read it
but the question is what version..which testiment
by which author..for which time era..the modernised one..the traditional one..
so many to choose from..which sect of christianity..?
etc..u'll be doing alot of reading if you choose to read them all

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
soha said:
yes read it
but the question is what version..which testiment
by which author..for which time era..the modernised one..the traditional one..
so many to choose from..which sect of christianity..?
etc..u'll be doing alot of reading if you choose to read them all
lol............

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
something_funny said:
convince me of the wonders of this text!
Well, if you don't wanna go to hell..... just kidding.

If you want to get more spiritual then read it. I wanted to read it just after seeing passion of the christ, then the feeling subsided. I don't know, I suppose if you're not a believer then there's no point but then it could make you believe. Read it if you want. I've only ever read the first page so you can tell me how it ends.

heybraham

HSC
the first place to look when reading the Bible is probably Mark or Luke, just one of the 4 Gospels Mathew Mark Luke And John. His parables are a good place to start. Take a look, give it a go, you might like it you never know. It's kinda like raw salmon for me, it looked pretty festy, but when i ate it, i loved it.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
I tried reading the bible, but, as said before, there were too many contradictions.

Also different versions by different publishers tell different things

The bit I don't get is if all Christianity is the same (i.e we all believe in the one God) then why are there so many different branches of it? (e.g catholicism, anglicans, presbyterian, methodist, etc)

I think the bible is just one of those things. You read it and decide for yourself whether or not it's the infallible word of God, or some made up peice of literature designed to make money.

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
heybraham said:
yes i used to think there were contradictions and errors and discrepancies, but i realised, these discrepancies only proved how true they were. you say there are discrepancies, but do bear in mind the Bible is written by not only 1 individual but brought down by many during different time periods...if there are no discrepancies, the work may seem colluded and fabricated...not good. i cannot say the same for the Quran as it came from a singular source with scientific proofs...but there is also scientific proof in buddhism...and that's just a philosophy...

in a crime scene, if one witness said they heard the shot a bit past 8, another said 8:30, another said 8.25...it'd sound more convincing than if all witnesses said it was 8.23 exactly.
u see thats just my point. they are accounts of the same event yet are told differently. for something to be the infallible word of god, it must be free from errors and contradictions. The Bible as a whole is considered the word of God yet has in it contradictions. contradictions between the 4 canonic gospels. to my understanding, these men were "inspired by God". Taking this approach, it would be fair to suggest that God would have "inspired" each to give the same account. The fact that there are differnces in these accounts suggests that only one can be right and the other three are wrong. The implications of this are obvious. If all 4 were the "true word of God" then that would imply that God either lied to the other three( forgive me God for saying this) or the writers misunderstood the information thereby eliminating the staus of the Bible as the "infallible word of God".

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
yes i know Genesis has been lost in translation and i understand that there were six steps but that doesnt account for the discrepancy in the chronological order of creation according to science. Genesis has the order of creation very mixed up.

Back to the lost in translation, thats my point- if one of the most fundamental aspects of the bible have been "mistranslated" than can you imagine how much more of it has been? I believe in the original Gospels and i believe that they were sent down to men through Jesus by God. But these were oral traditions and they were never actually written at the time of jesus. it was at least a century after him that these Gospels were even PARTIALLY written down. In that time, the meaning of the gospels will have disintegrated and fallen victim to the subjective views of it's tellers. Furthermore, there were hundreds if not thousands of different gospels. God didnt choose the bible which you read today- a bunch of old priests with their own political agendas sifted through these gospels and chose the ones that fit nicely with their ideals. These constitue the New Testament today

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
SabtheLab said:
u see thats just my point. they are accounts of the same event yet are told differently. for something to be the infallible word of god, it must be free from errors and contradictions. The Bible as a whole is considered the word of God yet has in it contradictions. contradictions between the 4 canonic gospels. to my understanding, these men were "inspired by God". Taking this approach, it would be fair to suggest that God would have "inspired" each to give the same account. The fact that there are differnces in these accounts suggests that only one can be right and the other three are wrong. The implications of this are obvious. If all 4 were the "true word of God" then that would imply that God either lied to the other three( forgive me God for saying this) or the writers misunderstood the information thereby eliminating the staus of the Bible as the "infallible word of God".
Why is it that some people never get bored with the 'my god is bigger than your god' chestnut?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Homer Simpson: Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. Like this Bible. It cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

*nods wisely*

rific

HSC
I wasn't going to worry about posting on this thread again, but I loved the raw salmon analogy, very funny heybraham!... and yet thought provoking at the same time... :)

Without talking about the spirituality involved, and congratulations to anyone that is comfortable with their relationship with their God, or in their belief that there is no higher power, the system of redaction the Christian Bible went through ensured that no one definitive story was told once, the old testament particularly is rife with stories being retold in the next chapter, but from a different perspective, and this is the key to reading the Bible. Should you be familiar with the New Testament you are probably aware of the many parables, each told to explain a facet of life or the Christian God but in language understandable to the masses. In doing this we see that the differences found in the Bible aren't as exclusive as first assumed, but are simply different interpretations of the 'word of God', the same thing would happen should you ask several master artists to paint a sunrise, you'd come back with a sculpture, a surrealist, a post-modernist etc. etc. interpretations, and all would be accurate representations of what the artist saw and each would be more appealing to different groups.

All this means that while Christians believe the Bible was/is inspired by God, they also believe that the same God gave freedom of choice/expression, which is how the different books of the Bible appear so different, meaning that in the method of divine representation (for lack of a better phrase), Christians are given the key to becoming closer to their God, faith in awareness and interpretation instead of faith from the scientific facts is another way to put it. Oh, that can also be seen as an explanation for the different denominations in Christianity, some groups believe one section is more relevant to their way of life, and so honour it more.

Sorry if I haven't expressed myself clearly or added anything to the discussion, but I'm off for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)