Should I so history extension? (1 Viewer)

laurashanahan

HSC
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and we have a week to decide on what subject we want to do next year. I am currently doing biology, adv. english, gen. maths, beg. italian, 2u religion and ancient history and I'm debating whether or not to pick up extension. I am dropping biology, so I will have 10 units but I adore history (it's my favourite subject and I have a wonderful teacher) and I'm unsure if the workload will be too much. I've read other threads and everyone says it's so content heavy and already learning another language. My history teacher invited me to do extension and she said i'd be great at it but I don't know if I should pick it up because of the major work. I don't think any of my other subjects have major works but I'm not sure how much time it will take. Should I pick up extension history and have 11 units or just stick to 10?

JuliusSeizure

HSC
got nothing to lose why not? Give it a go if not, then just drop it if you don't like it

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd pick it up. 11 units is probably the best amount of units to have for most people. Allows you a bit of wiggle room screwing up a subject.

buriza

conviction
HSC
Content should be fine as long as you keep up with it consistently (especially the major work - you'll fall behind if you're not progressing at least once every week). I would say it's a little different from Ancient or Modern History though, but as long as you have a general interest in history and what people have to say about events, you should do it. In my opinion History Extension isn't too difficult to get good marks either, so it can be an ATAR booster for you. Even if it isn't, you're on 11 units, hence it won't count in the end if you don't do that well in it.

JuliusSeizure

HSC
I'd pick it up. 11 units is probably the best amount of units to have for most people. Allows you a bit of wiggle room screwing up a subject.
yeah BLIT2014 is rightand really same as buriza. You will work hard so go for it!

evasharman

HSC
If you are interested in history do it for sure. You always have the securing of 11 units and can drop it if it isn't working out for you :) It's a great course.

lastofus

HSC
I currently do History Extension and yeah, the workload is quite heavy for a 1 Unit subject. But if you have the work ethic, I'd totally recommend for you to pick it up. You also have nothing to lose as you can drop it if you don't end up enjoying it.

IDFWU

HSC
I picked it up and so far, I think it's great. If you're interested in the topic and put in work for it, then go for it and if you don't enjoy it you can drop it at any time.

mkristie

HSC
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and we have a week to decide on what subject we want to do next year. I am currently doing biology, adv. english, gen. maths, beg. italian, 2u religion and ancient history and I'm debating whether or not to pick up extension. I am dropping biology, so I will have 10 units but I adore history (it's my favourite subject and I have a wonderful teacher) and I'm unsure if the workload will be too much. I've read other threads and everyone says it's so content heavy and already learning another language. My history teacher invited me to do extension and she said i'd be great at it but I don't know if I should pick it up because of the major work. I don't think any of my other subjects have major works but I'm not sure how much time it will take. Should I pick up extension history and have 11 units or just stick to 10?
Don't worry, I was learning a language too and I had another major work for SAC and I found extension history to be fine! The workload is pretty heavy for a one unit subject but it's to be expected of an extension course. If you enjoy history, I'd really recommend it! I love history and doing ext really allowed me to develop a greater appreciation for it, so I definitely think it's something you'd benefit from. Besides you'd have 11 units, which means you're free to drop it if you don't like it. But definitely give it a shot! :)
JUST DON'T LEAVE THE MAJOR WORK LAST MINUTE!! If you work consistently, it's manageable and can actually be pretty fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)