Should I try out for Ruse? (1 Viewer)

greentae

HSC
N/A
Hey guys :) I would really appreciate advice.

I'm currently in year 10 attending a rank ~20-40 selective school and I'm just asking if it would be beneficial for me to try out for Ruse? I achieve first place consistently in pretty much all subjects here and I really want to meet new people instead of being stuck with the people at my current school.

I'm not sure which option would be the most beneficial for my ATAR though, so thoughts?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
By the sounds of how well you are achieving at your current school, you seem to be on track for a very high ATAR. Remember that adjusting to a new school environment does take some time, there are other ways to meet new people besides changing schools such as participating in more extra-curricular activities and volunteering. It is ultimately up to you to decide whether you want to try out, I guess it doesn't hurt to try out to see where your abilities lie, and if you feel that being in a much more competitive environment will help boost your ATAR, then by all means do try out for Ruse. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain from the experience. Best wishes for your success in your senior studies:)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
There's no harm in trying. You have a pretty good chance of getting in (even better if you have abundant EC's) if you go to the open day and find it's a better environment than your current school, go for it :) ruse has really good school spirit and they're generally quite welcoming :) all the best! In terms of ATAR, you need to work really hard, regardless of what school you go to.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
You should try, I know people who got average rankings and didn't go to a selective school.

enoilgam

HSC
I'm kind of with both RR and strawberrye on this issue. There is no harm in trying, but keep in mind that it takes time to settle into a new school. It's true that you can make new friends, but it isnt like the first day of HS or Uni where most people are new to each other. You will be entering an environment where people have established friendship groups and it may be hard for you to find your place socially. It may not seem like an important issue, but having a strong support system can be really helpful especially with something as stressful as the HSC. I definitely think that having a solid group of friends during the HSC helped me a lot, so you should keep that in mind.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
You might as well apply for other top selective schools while your at it.

esaitchkay

HSC
Why not give it a chance? It'll be beneficial for your academics if you can competitively keep up with the work and assessment load.
I think ruse has a camp for year 11 newcomers with the rest of the cohort(not 100% sure), during year 10 so you can see what to people are like. There's no harm in at least trying out (just a small application fee). You should also try out for other schools similarly ranked; baulko, nsg/b, etc.
Socially, I think a key factor would be having friends already at the school, which makes integration a lot easier, but I mean, it's not a terrible thing to meet new people right? :p

greentae

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, thanks for all of your help and suggestions! I think I'm going to give it a go and if I pass, I'll go :)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
By the sounds of how well you are achieving at your current school, you seem to be on track for a very high ATAR. Remember that adjusting to a new school environment does take some time, there are other ways to meet new people besides changing schools such as participating in more extra-curricular activities and volunteering. It is ultimately up to you to decide whether you want to try out, I guess it doesn't hurt to try out to see where your abilities lie, and if you feel that being in a much more competitive environment will help boost your ATAR, then by all means do try out for Ruse. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain from the experience. Best wishes for your success in your senior studies:)
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)