Should Muslim Holidays be recognised in Australia? (2 Viewers)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
A LEADING Muslim spokesman has criticised new NSW laws that enshrine the rights of staff to refuse to work on Christian-orientated public holidays.

The State Government is banning most shops from opening on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Easter Sunday and Good Friday unless their owners can prove compelling demand from the local community. Sydney-based Muslim community spokesman Keysar Trad said workers of all faiths were entitled to a break and called for the two main Muslim public holidays to be recognised as well. "It does give the impression that we are a solely Christian nation and it raises the issue of other religions too, whether you are Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim," he said.

"I know Muslim workers face problems asking for their public holidays off work at the moment. "There are only two Muslim public holidays, so it is not a lot to ask."

more at
Muslims seek public holidays to celebrate faith | National News | News.com.au

What are your thoughts on this? Should it or should it not? If we should, should we also recognise other religious holidays as well?

I wonder if us atheists have any official holiday? :blah:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't say no to more public holidays. We don't have enough.

pman

Banned
HSC
the thing is, muslims get christian holidays off, we would have to get muslim holidaysw off and if we did this, every other religion would want their holdays off and eventually every day would be a public holiday. the official religion of australia is still christian i believe and i don''t think we can change this without becoming a republic

КГБ

Banned
HSC
even if the govt sanctioned muslims holidays it will never be practical. lebs have their eid on one day, the south Asians on another the far east Muslims on another day. not only that, there us no universal day for eid. it changes every single year and is determined by the sighting of the moon. Most of the time Eid is only confirmed on the night before.

so ummm it will never hapnd. so stfu keysar jew

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
the thing is, muslims get christian holidays off, we would have to get muslim holidaysw off and if we did this, every other religion would want their holdays off and eventually every day would be a public holiday. the official religion of australia is still christian i believe and i don''t think we can change this without becoming a republic
Australia has no official religion.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
We don't have an official declared religion, except that which we inherited from the Queen (which doesn't have any real effect here). In practice, we are a secular nation with a majority Christian demographic. We are not a Christian nation.

КГБ

Banned
HSC
lol even on christmas who thinks of jesus? lol srsly I dont.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
2 days off isnt much to ask, but then u'd have to consider ALL other religions to be fair.

then there's the offical day of Eid, which bbj mentioned isnt celebrated on the same day by everyone, the turks and lebo's and malaysians do it on different days (and the paki's copy one of em, usually the malaysians i think, lol), AND the fact that it depends on the lunar calendar means that it'll change every year.

too much effort tbh.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
As ridiculous as this may seem to some, I believe there should be no public holidays. If one wishes to take a day off work it should be organized by the individual and their employer. It is no business of the establishment to decide which day one can choose to work and which days one cant. Such an interference in the market and in the affairs of our lives should be seen negatively and unfavorably.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
What the point... the lebs never go to work anywaz.

Opps thats the wogs..

Jks jks...

Last edited:

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
No. Keysar Trad and his brood should fuck off back to balalalamadingdongistan to live in their huts made from shit with their savage mates.

lala2

Banned
HSC
2 days off isnt much to ask, but then u'd have to consider ALL other religions to be fair.

then there's the offical day of Eid, which bbj mentioned isnt celebrated on the same day by everyone, the turks and lebo's and malaysians do it on different days (and the paki's copy one of em, usually the malaysians i think, lol), AND the fact that it depends on the lunar calendar means that it'll change every year.

too much effort tbh.
+1

As ridiculous as this may seem to some, I believe there should be no public holidays. If one wishes to take a day off work it should be organized by the individual and their employer. It is no business of the establishment to decide which day one can choose to work and which days one cant. Such an interference in the market and in the affairs of our lives should be seen negatively and unfavorably.
That's actually not a bad idea. Like with my parents, they organise a day off for Chinese New Year so everyone else should do the same. Might be impractical for Christian holidays though, since the majority of the working force are Christian. In which case I guess that's why the public holidays were developed, because you'd have so few people working it wouldn't make any sense to keep running on those days.

No. Keysar Trad and his brood should fuck off back to balalalamadingdongistan to live in their huts made from shit with their savage mates.
+1. If you don't like it, go back to where you started.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
+1. If you don't like it, go back to where you started.
I totally hold this opinion as well. Unfortunately our politicians are too focused on the fucking minorities, who get media attention in turn for every small "slight". Unfortunately it seems to be, oh if you don't like how it is, bitch and whine enough until they change it so it's like how it is back home.

Which is shit. Go back home if you don't like it. Then people call you racist for not wanting your culture to suffer because a minority wants to impose theirs upon us.

Fucking sick of it.

Oh how i miss politicians with backbones. "AUSTRALIA-LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT"! Hey! That Used To Be An American Saying!
Such intelligent posts.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I totally hold this opinion as well. Unfortunately our politicians are too focused on the fucking minorities, who get media attention in turn for every small "slight". Unfortunately it seems to be, oh if you don't like how it is, bitch and whine enough until they change it so it's like how it is back home.

Which is shit. Go back home if you don't like it. Then people call you racist for not wanting your culture to suffer because a minority wants to impose theirs upon us.

Fucking sick of it.

Oh how i miss politicians with backbones. "AUSTRALIA-LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT"! Hey! That Used To Be An American Saying!
so because you hate others imposing their cultures on yours, your going to impose your culture on theirs?

also, why would politicians, who's motivation is a majority of votes, focus on minorities?

Bainesy

HSC
last time I checked, australia was a christian country. if you wanted to celebrate islamic holidays, you should have picked an islamic country

Fucking sick of it.

perhaps a new public holiday, "Shut the hell up or leave" Day to celebrate our culture?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)