Should police have any powers that ordinary citizens don't? (1 Viewer)

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Police are just people. I have no problem with people being hired to defend other people, but their right to do this is merely derived from the individual's right to self defense.

The police are as fallible as anyone else (arguably more so). How can we justify giving these often unintelligent, violent young people such great power?

Cazic

HSC
Umm, do you have some examples of "power they shouldn't have" in mind?

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
I see police more like they are primarily hired to defend the government, and to control the population etc, not to defend other people.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Well in that case, if there job is to defend people, shouldnt they be givent he powers necessary to perform that task no matter the cost?

Cazic

HSC
the power to fucking tase you, shoot you, handcuff you, lock you up?
These can all be justified as a means to defend others (or themselves). Serious question, is it illegal for an ordinary citizen to tase someone out of self defence?

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
These can all be justified as a means to defend others (or themselves). Serious question, is it illegal for an ordinary citizen to tase someone out of self defence?
Yes it is illegal in Australia to posses almost any weapon including tasers, pepper spray and even body Armour which is not even a weapon.

Why should we have to call someone else who is no more intelligent or trustworthy than the average citizen, and wait for them to arrive, before we can be defended.

HSC
N/A
I totally agree,
By what right do these overweight dim wits 'punish' us. I mean we all know what type of people go and join 'the force',i.e. mincing redneck sadists who dropped out of primary school.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
More like, pretentious wankers who want to "help their community"

The Force on tv was excellent at demonstrating the dumb cunts that the police force attracts

will-anal

Banned
HSC
Funny story.

I dropped a key off at a police station 3 weeks ago for work. No worries, here's the key, see you later. I went to pick the key up the other day and got a fucking inquisition. I had to produce ID, she wrote a 2 pages statement about what I looked like, what I was wearing, what the key looked like, my licence number, etc and got me to sign it. Giving me the shank eye the whole time.

i was like wtf dude it's a key, look at my key ring i have an identical set, it's not like i've come to the police station to illegally acquire a set of keys that no other individual knew I'd dropped off.

It's just wanky shit like that, that pisses me off about cops.

Steam

HSC
N/A
More like, pretentious wankers who want to "help their community"

The Force on tv was excellent at demonstrating the dumb cunts that the police force attracts
You know ... not all cops are shit.

will-anal

Banned
HSC
I know a lot of cops and I have a lot of interaction with cops and I am yet to find an overwhelming number of them that aren't shit.

Dude I socially interact with cops at the pub, they're part of my social circle. Most of them are massive dicks and probably only became cops because they lack a sense of power in any other aspect of their lives, and so get off strutting down the street making people feel nervous.

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Poliece n teh stayte actz in teh intrestz of teh rulin clasez bro

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Funny story.

I dropped a key off at a police station 3 weeks ago for work. No worries, here's the key, see you later. I went to pick the key up the other day and got a fucking inquisition. I had to produce ID, she wrote a 2 pages statement about what I looked like, what I was wearing, what the key looked like, my licence number, etc and got me to sign it. Giving me the shank eye the whole time.

i was like wtf dude it's a key, look at my key ring i have an identical set, it's not like i've come to the police station to illegally acquire a set of keys that no other individual knew I'd dropped off.

It's just wanky shit like that, that pisses me off about cops.
Funny story

I was at Redfern one day having a lovely chat with a local bum, when this other bum came waltzing down the stairs. He was then subjected to a sniffer dog (unknown to him since the bitch cop did it behind his back) sniffing his back pocket, and a tiny little ziplock bag of pot was found.

The policewoman started hassling him being all aggressive because she was jealous she wasn't born with a penis and then she grabbed him. He shook her free (lol) and walked onto a train with it's doors about to shut. The policewoman, in response to this FELON with a TINY BAG OF MARIJUANA decided to:

*Stop the train
*Delay it by seven minutes
*Undertake a full search of every carriage

The man then got out, walked across the tracks, and escaped. I lol'ed, but I'd not been that angry in a long time and I had half the nerve to go up to this cop and start yelling at her - she could have killed the dude for such a small crime.

I hate da polis.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
The police is merely the arm of the executive responsible for executing and administering the laws enacted by parliament.

On your logic it would be worth examining the executive power afforded to every public official in the country. Should DoCS care workers have powers regular citizens do not? Should the taxation office have the power to determine the tax rules over any regular citizen?

The reason for these powers (and the extent of these powers) being enshrined in legislation should be the subject of examination, as enactments of the general will, not the actual administering body itself. Are these powers enacted by the legislature necessary for the maintenance of the good order of society?

The police like any government organisation, contains a broad spectrum of individuals. Classifying every police officer (there are many more than front line officers) in the state as 'unintelligent' displays great ignorance IMO.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Irony:

-I'm a far-right libertarian

-My dad is a police officer

-My mum used to work for centerlink

: /

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)