Should they add extension to the specific sciences? (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I guess, but some people really enjoy the theory side as well. Just simply learning about concepts is a great thing. A uni student told me that gel electrophoresis is a boring prac, but learning the theory behind it and solving questions about it is an engaging aspect
You recently asked about mass spec and whether the splitting can happen anywhere. Getting into how it really works is beyond the HSC, but without it, it's a mysterious black box tool that leaves you sometimes unable to judge what is reasonable and what isn't. A task may be dull, but it makes the process real and meaningful in a way that theory alone can't.

Gryffindor

HSC
im not gonna debate whether psych is a science or not but at high school i would assume you wouldn't be able to test hypotheses, collect data and conduct experiments on human behaviour

rather u would learn content from a textbook and write essays like u would in a traditional humanities subject
my friend took psych in high school (VCE) and it's tested like the sciences here; they did practicals where they'd dissect brains and the highest mark question in the exam is a 10 marker analysing a proposed method and procedures of a hypothetical investigation

specificagent1

HSC
but it is often available in both the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Science. There can be considerable crossover between faculties, depending on degree rules. I have a friend who started out doing a BSc and ended up transferring to arts. He took a BA with one of his two majors being applied maths.
yea i guess but some of the arts majoring in psych degrees arent accredited

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Psychology seems like an extremely interesting subject, I think it would really take off here. Not sure why its not in our syllabus but whatever.

username_2

HSC
Why can’t they just not include advanced prac work? Maybe they can show video demonstrations of the advanced prac or do simplified versions of them.
Bro that's what science extension is for - best subject in the HSC for me - given it is done properly. You can do any experiment you want and you can go into how much ever detail you want (like 3rd - 4th year level, some people even published their science extension papers in a journal). It is difficult to get right and you will not be taught much but for anyone willing to science extension, its a beautiful subject.

Other than that tho, in my school we use joke that chemistry should be a 3u subject instead of 2u just because of how hard it was at the time (also this was mainly because of the teaching - the concepts aint bad). Fun times.

notme123

HSC
why cant they just teach calculus in younger years so we can do more advanced stuff in year 11 and 12 like fr are essays and extended response even a thing in uni

username_2

HSC
yea but the problem is here funding for the prac
yep agreed. I had to basically annoy the head teacher for 3 months straight to buy me enough calcium nitrate... and I ended up using up all of the lab's supply plus half of their entire budget. So... yea - i mean in some ways if there are very few students your report doesn't even matter - only the hsc. This was veryy annoying for me because I worked very hard for the report and I didn't do as well in the hsc.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
yep agreed. I had to basically annoy the head teacher for 3 months straight to buy me enough sodium nitrate... and I ended up using up all of the lab's supply plus half of their entire budget. So... yea - i mean in some ways if there are very few students your report doesn't even matter - only the hsc. This was veryy annoying for me because I worked very hard for the report and I didn't do as well in the hsc.
But, sodium nitrate is cheap... how much did you need? Or were you needing food grade?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
yea i guess but some of the arts majoring in psych degrees arent accredited
Accreditation to work as a psychologist does require an acceptable degree, but the issue is more usually that four years of training are needed and a pass BA is three years. Without Honours, neither a BA nor a BSc is sufficient for working as a psychologist, even with a strong major in psychology.

specificagent1

HSC
Accreditation to work as a psychologist does require an acceptable degree, but the issue is more usually that four years of training are needed and a pass BA is three years. Without Honours, neither a BA nor a BSc is sufficient for working as a psychologist, even with a strong major in psychology.
even then with a bpsy (hons) you still need your masters

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
My bad. I didn't mean sodium nitrate. I needed calcium nitrate. And I used about 15 L over 5 months.
You would have found sodium nitrate harder to get, actually, given the need for an EUD. I can see calcium nitrate tetrahydrate for $50 for half a kg.

specificagent1

HSC
You would have found sodium nitrate harder to get, actually, given the need for an EUD. I can see calcium nitrate tetrahydrate for $50 for half a kg.
Makes sense tho, 15 x 50 = $750 which is probably half of the budget for the school

username_2

HSC
True but it was a lot of litres and like 10 repetitions for each trial. A bit much my school.. low rank and just got a new building so they are like low on money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)