• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should virginity be regarded as a virtue in modern society? (1 Viewer)

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
i dont need to study it. we are stubborn in our own ways/

if you studied it. and really understood it. you'd see that we are not being stubborn. i respect your values. but you must look at everything realistically.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
m&ss2008 said:
has anyone counted the amount of threads turned into religious debates on BoS?

most have been deleted now.

i smell another delete approaching
I think it's because in the end all questions come back to fundamental truths/premises, which for a lot of people are answered by religion and until these fundamental truths are cleared up there just can't be agreement.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
i understand how evolution happens and i can see that it has happened, i just dont have enough knowledge to relate it to the bible.

yes reading back now, humans may have evolved from other animals, but i still think we are not quite superior but we have "dominion" over animals
You can see that evolution has happened and yet humans only MAY have evolved from ape-like ancestors?

And why do we have dominion?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
theshortykatt said:
we dont need to know where we come from.
What do we need to do? Nothing. I'd say curiosity is an inate human feature born into us through our biology (or perhaps you, your soul... I mean, I think you're arguing against yourself here, you've chosen to believe in a religion which tells you where you come from) and has for the most part kept us rather entertained :)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
we dont need to know where we come from.
Well, you can't argue with willful ignorance, I suppose.

Can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Kwayera said:
Actually archaeopteryx isn't the best example, but yeah, along those lines :D
thats what i remember from yr 12 bio. and the fish that came out of the water and on to the land

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I don't believe you can truly understand or believe in God's word if you don't consider the underlying reason for it.
ok maybe not understand but imo i think that a person can believe in God's word if they believe in God without understanding.

Hence why I said that no one justifies their morals with just religion alone.

e.g. Thou Shall Not Kill. You don't follow it just because God said so. You also follow it because you inheretly believe it is wrong. You are an empathetic person and think "I don't want anyone randomly killing my loved ones, and I am sure others feel the same", so therefore you understand why God put this commandment in place
the church sees virginity as a virtue because they believe (or so ive been told) that sex should be after marriage between a man and a woman to show there love and commitment for each other. also as a way of reproducing. also i see it as a virture because i believe that other wise it is wrong.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
thats what i remember from yr 12 bio. and the fish that came out of the water and on to the land

hey yeah!!! i remember that!!!

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Ok... maybe the lord created the universe and sowed the seeds for evolution to happen? The physical evidence seems to support this much more than any literal account of the bible, so if God told you not to just blindly believe, shouldn't this evidence leave you thinking animals weren't just instantly snapped into existence but instead really did come about through evolution, which perhaps was begun by your god?

melaniiiie/ari said:
ok maybe not understand but imo i think that a person can believe in God's word if they believe in God without understanding.
By what mechanism does someone decide to even accept the validity of the bible? Even if we ignore picking and choosing of some chapters, there is at the very least some initial decisive consciousness there independent of any word of God, this is the part of someone that should be argued with, you couldn't possible argue with someone whose true logical/moral foundation was in the word of the bible... it would be impossible.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
A High Way Man said:
Ichthyostega :D

EDIT: I remembered that off the top of my head. God, I am a nerd.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
i do need to study evalution more to fully understand it.

it says in genesis.

i know i have said not to follow the bible blindly, but of course there are parts that are just facts.
What facts? In the Bible?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
theshortykatt said:
i do need to study evalution more to fully understand it.

it says in genesis.

i know i have said not to follow the bible blindly, but of course there are parts that are just facts.
Just because it 'says in Genesis', doesn't mean it's true or right.

Heck, there's a chapter in one of the Gospels where Jesus discusses appropriate prices for slaves. Is that right?

*tries not to go any further into bashing of Bible because really, it's like the best novel ever written*

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Many seem to quote science as the basis of their ideas and morality, but if you do physics you would know how much science changes over time with new discoveries, such as the right hand rules were based on the "fact" that current flowed from positve to negative, depending on where the evidence is at the time. They had faith in the evidence, and ultimatley, evidence failed them in that case. Of course, the same for the atom and various other things in the sciences.
Yes but we're basing our truths on the best information we have at the time, what can be better than that? Nothing.

Science is fickle and changes continually to what the evidence points to.
Not really fickle, it takes long-fought debate and argument/evidence to change established theories. It's not like truths are decided on whims, they're based on the best evidence we have available at the time... which is... (a bit of a tautology) the best truth we can have at any given time, better than any religious truth.

t. Who is to say Darwin is not merely one more error in the big trail and error equation of science?
Until it's shown otherwise this is not true...

I could write a lot more on this particular aspect of belief and have in the past, so if you want we can elaborate along these lines but i feel so repetitive :shy:

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
but its there for a reason.

you could start a whole other discussion on that statement:p.

so on that note i better go do something else.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
i base my truths on what i believe.
I base my beliefs on my beliefs? That's like saying "I believe because I believe". It's not true, you believe because of some reason... some evidence... some form of logic...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)