Sick during assessment Question (1 Viewer)

bmn

HSC
I had a terrible headache during my Advanced Maths test (in-class) today, which counts 20% towards HSC. My average for advanced would be around 95%+ for this year (and last), but I'd be lucky to get over 80% for this one...

I was wondering if I can apply for something because I was sick all day, including this test? (can get a doctors certificate if needed...)

The earlier test have been very easy, and theres about 5-6 people within acouple of marks at the top (But a low ranking school...), and this was abit harder, but the others still would of been mid-high 90%s...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
You should have said something at the time, there's nothing you can do now.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
lol I had my year 12 advanced maths test today too, what a coincidence :D

sickk

HSC
you can get a doctors certificate saying "your headache affected your ability to perform in the test"

its at the head teachers discretion, but if uv shown your ability previously they may take it into account. theres nothing to lose, so go for it

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
you can get a doctors certificate saying "your headache affected your ability to perform in the test"

its at the head teachers discretion, but if uv shown your ability previously they may take it into account. theres nothing to lose, so go for it
No you can't, doctors won't write retrospective notes unless its obvious you were sick on that day (ie. you're still sick).

llamaben

HSC
I've had a teacher directly say that "Its best to do exams even when your sick, but get a doctors certificate, and if you do bad, say it affected your result..."

But then again, the teacher that said that doesn't know jack all... So don't trust me on this...

sickk

HSC
No you can't, doctors won't write retrospective notes unless its obvious you were sick on that day (ie. you're still sick).

maybe some wont, but thats happened alot at my school (even in year 12, with assessment tasks handed in late)

to OP if you have a family doctor who youve been seeing for a long time and established a good clientèle with, then im quite confident he wuold write you a note
as i said, youve got nothing to lose

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Dodgy doctor, whats to stop you from just making some shit up to scam extra marks then? Bad practice.

sickk

HSC
the thing is that hes been doing very well so far, if hes had 1 bad day and said tot he teacher he was sick during the test whilst he was doing it (im assuming he did) and then followed it up with a medical certificate, i think he has a good case

im not an advocate of cheating lol, but if he was disadvantaged for a medical reason.. the board of studies makes allowances for that, people get sick, thats the way it goes, you shouldnt be penalised for being sick

bmn

HSC
to OP if you have a family doctor who youve been seeing for a long time and established a good clientèle with, then im quite confident he wuold write you a note
as i said, youve got nothing to lose
Thanks, I'll try getting a note one...

the thing is that hes been doing very well so far, if hes had 1 bad day and said tot he teacher he was sick during the test whilst he was doing it (im assuming he did)
I didn't... I know I should of, but I didn't even think of getting appealing my result then...

Another question, would it be better to ask the head teacher before I get the results, or after?

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
the thing is that hes been doing very well so far, if hes had 1 bad day and said tot he teacher he was sick during the test whilst he was doing it (im assuming he did) and then followed it up with a medical certificate, i think he has a good case

im not an advocate of cheating lol, but if he was disadvantaged for a medical reason.. the board of studies makes allowances for that, people get sick, thats the way it goes, you shouldnt be penalised for being sick
Cool, whatever, what im saying is its bad practice on the doctors part, the OP should have said something to the teacher and got the doctors certificate organised straight away. While it might be a shit go, doctors doing this allows others to exploit the system making it pretty unfair in the long run.

EDIT: ^^ BEFORE!!! Otherwise it really will look like you're just fishing for marks. Get a doctors cert organised tonight or tomorrow, if they'll give you one, don't leave it.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Too late now ^_^. You should have mentioned it in the test. I seriously don't even see a headache as means to have a whine about performing badly... afterall, the headache is probably half your own fault + take drugs before the exam... nothing a bit of paracetamol can't fix.

HSC
i had whooping cough during my last advanced maths test.
because id done well in all my other ones, my teacher said that if i was to stuff this one up they'd give me an estimate. i didnt stuff it up so it didnt matter.
but i had medical certificate. pretty sure you would need one otherwise anyone can say they have a headache.

q3thefish

HSC
i had whooping cough during my last advanced maths test.
because id done well in all my other ones, my teacher said that if i was to stuff this one up they'd give me an estimate. i didnt stuff it up so it didnt matter.
but i had medical certificate. pretty sure you would need one otherwise anyone can say they have a headache.
Woah. Whooping cough O_O

HSC
I had a terrible headache during my Advanced Maths test (in-class) today, which counts 20% towards HSC. My average for advanced would be around 95%+ for this year (and last), but I'd be lucky to get over 80% for this one...

I was wondering if I can apply for something because I was sick all day, including this test? (can get a doctors certificate if needed...)

The earlier test have been very easy, and theres about 5-6 people within acouple of marks at the top (But a low ranking school...), and this was abit harder, but the others still would of been mid-high 90%s...
Whinge moar plz

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
I heard that you get "special consideration" - whatever that means

duckcowhybrid

HSC
If you're not sick enough to not come to school, you're not sick enough to not do the assessment or get extra consideration for it. That's my school's policy. Sit at home and get a doctor's note and take it the day you get back. Safest way.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
We've got 60% of our grade sick, and about 40% of the school because of something or another (sickness, most likely). And we've got exams starting Friday. =\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)