• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sick for exams, what happens? (1 Viewer)

notaaron

HSC
thommy said:
Hey. :)

I went to him in the morning (director of Studies), filled out an illness/misadventure form, attached with doct's certificate, and told him that while I had sat the exam, I wasn't able to perform as well as I would otherwise be able to (which is all outlined on the form too). He was surprisingly understanding. I got 80% for my Economics assessment last term (the only other one we've done so far), so I think that if I bomb out (and go well in the rest of my assessments for the year) they'll definitely take it into consideration now. If they don't, I don't see justice. I mean, I've been in bed basically all of today with a terrible migraine and stomach pains.
wow i was wrong, well done.
Lesson for all of us.

Evilo

HSC
michael1990 said:
The thing is, if i was the teacher in charge of the decision.

I would have a number of arguments, such as:.
i would be able to provide an argument to all those points ;)

thommy

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
You will need to bring a doctors cerificate before the exam, or the next day your're back at school. You will either have to do the test, or they give the average score by the whole cohort of students in that course.
No, I've already done the test. I'm just not sure how well I went.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
michael1990 said:
The thing is, if i was the teacher in charge of the decision.

I would have a number of arguments, such as:

• If you were so sick with this virus why did you come to school?
  • We cannot give you the test again, as you have already seen it.
  • You will have to live with the mark as, we were never notified of your illness before the test.
But i do see your point. The thing is its an argument that i believe you will not be able to win. I mean if they dared made it come down to how much they liked you thats when you go straight to the top and be like, this is unacceptable. But i doubt that would happen.
i may be exempt from this;

but i would go to school if i were REALLY sick and attempt to do the test. i would then provide a dr's certificate and fill out a misadventure form. do you know why? because if i didn't go to the exam and filled out the misadventure form; what if it didn't get accepted? a crappy mark is better than no mark at all.

but of course i would notify the teachers before the exam.
although you could also say that it progressed much more in the exam room than it was before. ie; i have really bad allergies that really make it difficult for me to study/do an exam. outside wouldn't be that bad because open air; etc. but yeah..

..anyway i must say; i kinda hate the know all attitude that some of you 08ers have. lol,

but hey michael ; ur not a teacher. stop trying to be like dumbledore! =p

Evilo

HSC
michael1990 said:
If you were so sick with this virus why did you come to school?
Actually i was thinking about this before, i remember when i was doing one of my trial exams i was incredibly sick. I did the exam and i went and got a doctors certificate. I remember my parents having an argument with the teachers if i shouldn't have gone to the exam or not. My parents are a big believers in not being a soft cock and pussying out of exams for bullshit reasons- hence i always go to school no matter how injured/sick i am*.

*unless thermometer is > 100

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Evilo said:
Actually i was thinking about this before, i remember when i was doing one of my trial exams i was incredibly sick. I did the exam and i went and got a doctors certificate. I remember my parents having an argument with the teachers if i shouldn't have gone to the exam or not. My parents are a big believers in not being a soft cock and pussying out of exams for bullshit reasons- hence i always go to school no matter how injured/sick i am*.

lol same with me.

although; i skipped uni the past week because i took one too many hayfever tablets. hahha; needless to say i was feling like shit.

thommy

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:

Hey, next term do you think I should follow it up, with Dirctor of Studies and Economics Co-ordinator?

michael1990

HSC
shinji said:
i may be exempt from this;

but i would go to school if i were REALLY sick and attempt to do the test. i would then provide a dr's certificate and fill out a misadventure form. do you know why? because if i didn't go to the exam and filled out the misadventure form; what if it didn't get accepted? a crappy mark is better than no mark at all.

but of course i would notify the teachers before the exam.
although you could also say that it progressed much more in the exam room than it was before. ie; i have really bad allergies that really make it difficult for me to study/do an exam. outside wouldn't be that bad because open air; etc. but yeah..

..anyway i must say; i kinda hate the know all attitude that some of you 08ers have. lol,

but hey michael ; ur not a teacher. stop trying to be like dumbledore! =p
I shall argue on the points in bold.

You have to be accepted if you have a doctors certificate of having a virus. Whether they make you do the test or give you a the average mark. It has to be done. (I mean if you went to the doctor with a headach, it prob wouldn't be accepted, but if you had a virus which the doctor had said you are unfit to do the test the above measures would have to be taken by the school.)

To say that it could have progressed in the exam hall, you will need proof. You cannot just say, it got worse in the exam hall. You could of told a supervisor in the exam hall that your're really unwell, and left the exam. You would have got a doctors certificate and taken it from there.

Us 08'ers MAY have more knowledge of how this works, as we have been told all about it for the HSC. So if someone is trying to help you, i wouldn't be insulting our intellegence/knowledge of the subject.

On a lighter note< I AM DUMBLEDORE SWEETHEART LOL

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
Evilo said:

LOL

My mother is the same. Though if i said i was too unwell i would be allowed to stay home.

Did the school back down?

Evilo

HSC
thommy said:
Hey, next term do you think I should follow it up, with Dirctor of Studies and Economics Co-ordinator?
unsure tbh, we used to organise it through our year-master, but it changes from school to school. Look at their personalities and choose the one that would best help you.

michael1990 said:
Did the school back down?
lol yep, its very hard to have an argument [and win] with my mum :p

michael1990 said:
Please do provide the arguments.
i pretty much gave a hint as above.

* If you were so sick with this virus why did you come to school?

see above comment about not being a soft cock
* We cannot give you the test again, as you have already seen it.

Another substitute test would be appropriate if you do not feel comfortable estimating my mark,
* You will have to live with the mark as, we were never notified of your illness before the test.
How would you knowing i was incredibly sick before or after the exam have affected my poor exam performance? everyone saw me drag myself into the exam room drugged up to my eyeballs, just ask any of my friends. My doctor certificate says that i was sick on the day of the exam and that should be enough evidence.

michael1990

HSC
Evilo said:
lol yep, its very hard to have an argument [and win] with my mum :p
Evilo said:
* If you were so sick with this virus why did you come to school?
see above comment about not being a soft cock
This is not an adequate reason.

Evilo said:
* We cannot give you the test again, as you have already seen it.
Another substitute test would be appropriate if you do not feel comfortable estimating my mark,
A substitute test would be unfair to the cohort that did the original test. As well as worse off for you, as it could be marked harder and also be a little harder than the last test.

Evilo said:
* You will have to live with the mark as, we were never notified of your illness before the test.
How would you knowing i was incredibly sick before or after the exam have affected my poor exam performance? everyone saw me drag myself into the exam room drugged up to my eyeballs, just ask any of my friends. My doctor certificate says that i was sick on the day of the exam and that should be enough evidence.
Does not matter about what people saw how you were when you went into the test, the thing is YOU WENT INTO THE TEST (its not like you went oh shit i don't feel i can complete the test and had to go home, you COMPLETED the test). It only matters on things you can prove. You cannot have heresay.
Also, the doctors certificate would be fine if you did not complete the test. But as you completed the test, you should have to live with the test.

Its like if i did a test, went to the doctor and said i was unwell in that test, he would give you a doctors cerificate, but you could of been faking it as you thought the test was hard and you didn't do so well.

I mean if it was myself i would do the same thing, but i would of done it a little different. As i mean if i thought i was well enough to complete the test, but got into the test and thought i can't do it. I would have spoken to a supervisor, left the test and went to the doctor to have him give me a certificate to say that i was UNABLE to complete the test due to my health.

notaaron

HSC
Many schools have varying polices, i think that maybe the board should develop a policy that should be implemented for all schools, ( correct me if they have already), and if they have already, it isnt been enforced correctly, and should be.

The OP's situation seems genuine, however in our school, we have 2 boys, one in particular who continuosly is 'sick' on assessment day, to the point ( no joke ) where he never comes to school on assessment days ( michael you know who i mean )

michael1990

HSC
Without Wings said:
Just because you are a 2008er doesn't mean you know everything. Yes your advice is valued, but remember there are other members who know a lot (and some know even more than you). There are members here who can provide advice who have been through the HSC process already, teachers etc and some of these individuals can provide very accurate, helpful advice.

Michael remember, you aren't a teacher nor do you have anything to do with the implementation of the thread starter's school assessment policy - whilst you might not agree with it, it's still what is considered appropriate at their school - it's up to his school as to how the situation is dealt with.
Yes i quite agree. As to the teachers, past HSC students and some other people knowing a greater detail in the subject than myself. I have also edited my original post.

However, most school assessment/exam policies would be very simliar.
Also i was looking at it from the perspective of a teacher. Also giving my own arguments as a student.

michael1990

HSC
notaaron said:
Many schools have varying polices, i think that maybe the board should develop a policy that should be implemented for all schools, ( correct me if they have already), and if they have already, it isnt been enforced correctly, and should be.

The OP's situation seems genuine, however in our school, we have 2 boys, one in particular who continuosly is 'sick' on assessment day, to the point ( no joke ) where he never comes to school on assessment days ( michael you know who i mean )
Yes he never turns up for any assessments. This included the half yearly. He does go to the doctor and he does recieve a doctors certificate. We cannot judge whether he is sick or not, but it is strange that he is away for all the assessments.

Our school allows him to do the test at another time. I believe they should be looking into the fact that this student is not at school for any of the assessments (mostly for one subject in particular).

cs01001

HSC
michael1990 said:
Yes he never turns up for any assessments. This included the half yearly. He does go to the doctor and he does recieve a doctors certificate. We cannot judge whether he is sick or not, but it is strange that he is away for all the assessments.

Our school allows him to do the test at another time. I believe they should be looking into the fact that this student is not at school for any of the assessments (mostly for one subject in particular).
I should start doing that for English. :eek:

Evilo

HSC
michael1990 said:
This is not an adequate reason.
I would rephrase it in a better way, but yes it is. I used to have a little saying, if i was missing both my arms and both my legs - i would still drag myself to school. The point of and illness and misadventure form is to help allocate fair marks that i would have otherwise have gained through no fault of my own. I didn't get sick on purpose, i proved to everyone that i wanted to complete the test - im not some fucking soft dick who relies on my doctor mum to write me a doctors certificate (as per a statement below about being sick for every assessment). As far as im concerned, my illness (that isnt a runny nose) is genuine and thats all im trying to prove.

michael1990 said:
A substitute test would be unfair to the cohort that did the original test. As well as worse off for you, as it could be marked harder and also be a little harder than the last test.
So what should they do? there are pros and cons of each "alternative" to not completing the exam due to illness and misadventure. I've seen some pretty fair 'alternative' exams. dude, face it, nothing can be perfect... so the teachers etc just do their best to give a fair mark which is deserved.

michael1990 said:
Does not matter about what people saw how you were when you went into the test, the thing is YOU WENT INTO THE TEST (its not like you went oh shit i don't feel i can complete the test and had to go home, you COMPLETED the test). It only matters on things you can prove. You cannot have heresay.
Also, the doctors certificate would be fine if you did not complete the test. But as you completed the test, you should have to live with the test.
I'm not fucking stupid, ive done my hsc mate. Okay i "went to the fucking test". but geeze you need to pull your ********************* and read this
The Office of the Board of Studies’ School Certificate Illness/Misadventure Appeal program has been established to assist students who:

* are prevented from attending a test due to illness or misadventure; or
* consider that their performance in a test has been affected by illness or misadventure immediately prior to or the during the test period.

If either or both of these situations apply to you, then you should complete this form.
happy?
michael1990 said:
Its like if i did a test, went to the doctor and said i was unwell in that test, he would give you a doctors cerificate, but you could of been faking it as you thought the test was hard and you didn't do so well.
Doctors certificates are not supposed to be handed out like lottery tickets. Unfortunately some shit doctors do, and it really spoils their reputation and the face that some people actually need special consideration.
michael1990 said:
I mean if it was myself i would do the same thing, but i would of done it a little different. As i mean if i thought i was well enough to complete the test, but got into the test and thought i can't do it. I would have spoken to a supervisor, left the test and went to the doctor to have him give me a certificate to say that i was UNABLE to complete the test due to my health.
It seems like you can only see one view here. I'm a mentally strong person, i dont cop-out, i dont look at illness and misadventure as some "cop-out 2nd chance draw thing". [Unlike MANY people] i would only use it in dire need. I cant see the problem with attending the exam when you are really sick, maybe you're attitude will change when you're dying, but you want to get the thing over and done with.

Evilo

HSC
michael1990 said:

I know a kid who didn't go to any exams/assts at all, he was able to rely on his mum (who was a doctor) to get fraudulent medical certificates. These people fail in the long term, he didnt even make it to uni - so dont worry. Last time i heard he was getting drunk and "trying" to get into tafe - which he failed.

michael1990

HSC
Evilo said:
I would rephrase it in a better way, but yes it is. I used to have a little saying, if i was missing both my arms and both my legs - i would still drag myself to school. The point of and illness and misadventure form is to help allocate fair marks that i would have otherwise have gained through no fault of my own. I didn't get sick on purpose, i proved to everyone that i wanted to complete the test - im not some fucking soft dick who relies on my doctor mum to write me a doctors certificate (as per a statement below about being sick for every assessment). As far as im concerned, my illness (that isnt a runny nose) is genuine and thats all im trying to prove.
I now agree with this statement. I was not referring to you, but just in general. Didn't quite understand what you meant about doctor mum?

Evilo said:
So what should they do? there are pros and cons of each "alternative" to not completing the exam due to illness and misadventure. I've seen some pretty fair 'alternative' exams. dude, face it, nothing can be perfect... so the teachers etc just do their best to give a fair mark which is deserved.
Quite agree, it is about deciding which is the best solution based on the situation of the student.
I just don't see how a alternative test would be fair to the other students, but i do see it as a good base. I mean i don't think it would the right solution, but it is a solution on the whole.

Evilo said:
I'm not fucking stupid, ive done my hsc mate. Okay i "went to the fucking test". but geeze you need to pull your ********************* and read this
As i said before i wasn't referring to you, just in general. The board of studies only gives out misadventures rarely. I mean do you think in the OPs situation the board of studies would give him/her (can't remember lol) a misadventure?

Evilo said:
Doctors certificates are not supposed to be handed out like lottery tickets. Unfortunately some shit doctors do, and it really spoils their reputation and the face that some people actually need special consideration.
I quite agree. But when you go to a doctor can they really say i can't give you a doctors certificate? Because like you have deemed yourself too unwell to go to school? <Curiousity.

Evilo said:
It seems like you can only see one view here. I'm a mentally strong person, i dont cop-out, i dont look at illness and misadventure as some "cop-out 2nd chance draw thing". [Unlike MANY people] i would only use it in dire need. I cant see the problem with attending the exam when you are really sick, maybe you're attitude will change when you're dying, but you want to get the thing over and done with.
Oh no i can see it from both points of view, i just believe most situations would be argued. And not given by the means of a misadventure.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)