Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Bali as a tourist destination is dead.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Bunny04 said:
Yeah, spend schoolies in bali- Cheap arse acommidation, closed beaches and closed shops! sounds like fun!
Everywhere you go cops surrounding the place.
More dangerous than anywhere to go right now.
Why would the beaches and shops be closed? Apart from the areas where the bombs where I'm sure everything else is open today.

And I don't really think it's the most dangerous place to go. Terrorists can attack anywhere. The only way to be completely safe is to never leave your house. And since the last attack in Bali was just yesterday it should be a while before there is another one. Somewhere else is next in line.

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
If you want to get bombed by islamic extremists or perhaps incarcerated for many a year for alleged drug offences - yep Bali's you're place :)

stace0101

HSC
I was going to bali with one of my friends who goes every year with her family but now we're not so sure, even them. The fact that it happened in a restuarant that they go to all the time, the fact that it is so near to Kuta Square, a place where you have to pass thru to go anywhere in Kuta, it just a bit to much, its happened one to many times now for my liking. We have booked, paid and everything so we're just going to have to see what the travel agent can do for us but we're thinking we might change to Thailand instead, not that its 100% either, no where is, but it may be a little better

iamsickofyear12 said:
it should be a while before there is another one.
Do u really want to risk it??

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Exactly, do you want to risk it.
and as a matter of fact, Shops and Beaches today /are/ closed- the only thing remaining open in fact is the airport.
The shops/beaches have been turned into makeshift hospitals and its housing the injured as well as the packed out hospitals.

Workers are going to pack up and leave Bali- well some of them are, they said they aren't going to take the risk again.. its goign to be a very different place now.
Given, you shouldnt' all stay in your homes and just try and hope for the best.
There will be terrorist attacks in other places,
but Bali being the place to be bombed twice this time with Suicide bombers and Not car bombs, its more prevelant to attacks.

and theres no saying there wont be more soon.
Think about it,
London Was in July,
this is in October.

not that far apart is it?

chilipepper

scentless apprentice
HSC
i think what he meant was its not likely to happen in the same place within the next month. . . Im probably still goin to bali for schoolies with all my mates, will only be stayin in kuta for 6 nights but and then elsewhere for 2 more weeks. Its pretty farked this has happened but it could happen anywhere, even at goldcoast seeing as australia is a bigass terrorist target thanks to howard.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Every shop and beach in Bali closed today. I find that hard to believe. I would be going to bali in 2 weeks if it wasn't for uni exams.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Ninemsn said:
'Backpack' suicide bomber caught on video
Monday Oct 3 14:00 AEST
BALI, Indonesia (Reuters) - Police have scrutinised an amateur video tape showing a man apparently with a backpack entering a Bali restaurant seconds before one of three suicide bombings which killed up to 27 people and wounded 125.

A top anti-terrorism official said the investigation into Saturday's attacks was focusing on Islamic militants blamed for earlier bloody bombings in the world's most populous Muslim nation.

Investigators released chilling video footage late on Sunday of a man in a black shirt and jeans strolling into a restaurant on the resort island, followed almost instantly by an explosion.

Three separate bombs tore through restaurants packed with Saturday evening diners, many of them foreign tourists. Two were outdoor seafood eateries on Jimbaran Beach and one a steak bar at Kuta Beach, an area surrounded by popular shops.

The attacks were the latest of a series of bombings in Indonesia in recent years. Several have been against Western targets, hurting tourism and raising investors' security fears.

Indonesia's rupiah currency was under selling pressure on Monday morning and the share market was expected to follow suit, although some thought markets would bounce back quickly in a country becoming hardened to sporadic violence.

The nearly simultaneous explosions came almost three years after al Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiah (JI) militants bombed nightclubs in Bali, killing 202 people, mostly foreign tourists.

Asked on Monday if the same group as in 2002 appeared to be behind the latest blasts, Ansyaad Mbai, a top Indonesian counter-terrorism official, said: ""Yes, the investigation is moving to that direction."

In terms of whether that specifically meant Jemaah Islamiah and two of its fugitive leaders, Malaysians Azahari bin Husin and Noordin M. Top, Mbai told Reuters:

"What is clear and important from this incident is that all those groups who have been here for some time still have the capabilities to operate. This group is not dead. It keeps on moving actively recruiting more people."

Mbai, head of the counter-terrorism desk at the office of the chief security minister, said he thought Azahari and Top were both still in Indonesia. "The latest incident clearly shows they have activities," he added.

One reason experts link JI to the blasts is the use of suicide bombers, typical of attacks for which they have been blamed in recent years.

"We have reached a conclusion that they were suicide bombings," Bali police chief Made Mangku Pastika told a late Sunday news conference.

"There are pieces from either a jacket or a bag that were attached to the bodies. The pieces from their torsos spattered to all directions," Pastika said, adding that the composition of the bombs included TNT and metal slugs.

He said the severed heads of three people believed to be the suicide bombers had been recovered. Photos of the heads displayed by police appeared to show they were young Asian men.

Pastika said the suicide bombers could not have acted alone and a larger group of people must have been involved.

On Monday morning a team of what appeared to be four foreign forensics experts was seen entering the Kuta Beach bomb site. Australia has said it would send investigators to help.

There were no immediate claims of responsibility. Typically groups have not taken credit for major bombings in Indonesia.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said in Bali on Sunday the blasts would only strengthen Jakarta's resolve. "We will do more in our national effort in fighting terrorism," he said.

Police said Jakarta, the sprawling capital city of 12 million people, was on high alert, with some 18,000 officers on standby.

Some have speculated the attacks could be the work of people seeking to destabilise Yudhoyono's presidency or upset with massive fuel price hikes his government has just pushed through.

A Bali hospital official said on Monday that 16 of 27 dead had so far been identified -- 14 Indonesians, one Australian and one Japanese.

Bali police chief Pastika had said on Sunday that only 22 people had been confirmed killed, of whom five were foreigners.

Asked about the discrepancy, another hospital official, Nyoman Sania, told Reuters: "We are still investigating, because (a bag) of body parts can came from one or more bodies."

Hospital officials had said earlier that the wounded included 64 Indonesians, 20 Australians, seven South Koreans, four Americans, three Japanese, one French, and one German, with other nationalities unknown.

N ppl call me narrow minded for saying that Bali isnt a good place.

$a®e

HSC
well, tomorrow im cancelling bali...prob going to somwhere in the south pacific now...so lucky i got the $$$ to pay more to go somwhere else...i dont c the point in risking going there...like yeh i know it can happen anywhere...the scarey thing is if they made 1 bomb then they probably made 300...so the chances of it happening again are rather high...i went to that noodle place last year...its disturbing to think i was in there now..

7th Sign

HSC
man I wouldnt go to bali if I was paid to, All these idiots who say Its not going to happen aggain, your full of shit, bali is going to be hit aggain for sure because its such a easy target for the terror cells to hit, advice comming through is that it will happen aggain like next few months span, I relly do feel sorry for the balaneese people but, Indonesia is totally screwd but their no hope for them, My advice is australia builds up some really fat security seperating australia from them.

Sure go to bali if you want to be comming home in a a body bag.

Terrorists why australi and the usa need to stop stuffing around with rubish like iraq and start killing off these cells so people can get back on with normal life.

Im starting to get worried about schoolies on the gold coast aswell as their have been many reports of a pub in the "holiday" perios been blown up,

farken terrorists why do they have to do this shit reck people holidays and shit....

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
7th Sign said:
man I wouldnt go to bali if I was paid to, All these idiots who say Its not going to happen aggain, your full of shit, bali is going to be hit aggain for sure
Sure go to bali if you want to be comming home in a a body bag.
so.. you can just see into the future now?? noone knows whether it will be hit again or not. like you can trust thee media 100% with its manipulated capitalist bullshit anyway.

7th Sign said:
I relly do feel sorry for the balaneese people but, Indonesia is totally screwd but their no hope for them, My advice is australia builds up some really fat security seperating australia from them
hahaha mr contradictory "i really feel sorry for all the poor defenceless balinese, but australia should really get the hell away from them because we just need so much protection from them"

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Sydney morning herald poll

Would you go to Bali?
Yes - 14%

No - 78%

Maybe - 7%

Total Votes: 3433

BAli is dead.

kristylee_

HSC
N/A
people stop being so damn negative
i ams till going to bali for schoolies and am certain i will have a ball, i flew out 2 days after the last bombings and although it was a sombre place it was still fine
the balinese people are beautiful wonderful friendlypeople who really dont deserve this, they rely on tourism for a living
it could be anywhere in the world.. are people saying not to go ton NY or London? No. Yesterday we had a football game with 85000 people, were people worried about attending that? what a perfect tartget!!

kristylee_

HSC
N/A
im just trying to get the point across that anywhere in the world could be hit

aaaman

Banned
HSC
kristylee_ said:
i ams till going to bali for schoolies and am certain i will have a ball, i flew out 2 days after the last bombings and although it was a sombre place it was still fine
the balinese people are beautiful wonderful friendlypeople who really dont deserve this, they rely on tourism for a living
it could be anywhere in the world.. are people saying not to go ton NY or London? No. Yesterday we had a football game with 85000 people, were people worried about attending that? what a perfect tartget!!

face the reality woman, bali got bombed...twice and the security was proper at telstra stadium since they had bag searches + police trained dogs while the indo. government dont really give a fuck otha than ensure that Howard doesnt get on their backs

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
kristylee_ said:
why can't people get something called 'risk assessment' through their heads.. i wonder...

bali is messed up, 2 bombings... and all the drug shit on the airport.. do you realise there are other places to go to?? :S

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
i hate to think that people are just going to stop going to Bali, I love bali and its a beautifull place, along the main touristic strip..
but i don't know about going there aymore.
I feel sorry for the Balinese peopel that will obviously loose money, and in some cases Jobs, beacuse undoubtlebly the tourist factor will drop quite considerably.
But, I'd be honestly quite nervous to go there now.
who woudlnt'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)