Sleep and Acne (1 Viewer)

You have a skin problem (lots of acne). How are your sleep conditions?

• I sleep at 11pm or earlier, and sufficiently (~8 hours)

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I sleep sufficiently (~8 hours) but after 11pm

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I have irregular sleep patterns

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • I sleep very late and usually very little

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I am interested in the extent to which the quality of your skin
determined by sleep quality/quantity..

in simpler terms, I want to see if most people with acne problems (not talking about having one single pimple and 'OMG THAT IS SO BAD' stuff) are sleep-deprived.

Is it possible for many people to sleep sufficiently, at the right times, and still have severe acne?

This poll is only intended/aimed towards people who have bad skin. (many pimples, unstable conditions, dryness,..etc)

Please vote in the poll and/or have a say about whether sleep is a very important factor that determines the state of one's skin.

karoooh

HSC
My brother gets plenty of sleep most days, but he has severe acne and acne scaring, while I sleep a bit less than he does, but my skin's great!

lengy

HSC
It's an individual person's basis I think. I find that my skin is much better if I've had proper sleep ( I have problems getting to sleep since high school except now I'm allowed to get sleep, albeit during the day and school gets in the way ).

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
I hardly sleep at all and my skin's fine.

One thing though, CHANGE YOUR PILLOWSLIPS every week or more, and the bacteria from your face wont spread as quickly. Also, if you have sensitive skin make sure the washing powder you use is non-irritant.

I think some people think they have acne when really their skin is just reacting to some chemical in their environment.

Everyone knows this, but hardly anyone listens:

"DON'T PICK YOUR FACE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!"

...and eventually they should at least get smaller/less red.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
I sleep after 12 am on most days, but usually I get around 9 hours.

If I sleep very little, I can be sure to get one or two break-outs the very next day. Otherwise I don't have any skin problems.

So yeah, sleep and acne are correlated for this individual.

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
I, in school time used to sleep 6-7 hrs weekdays from midnight till 7am.

I in the holidays have been sleeping form midnight till 10-11 am. 10hrs a day

While I regularly have 4-5 pimples I find that they remain for extremely long periods of time and I often by mistake scratch or pick them.

Between holidays and school time I have found that there has been no change in my skin condition.

I also was exercising a lot more during the school time than now.

I have often found however that when I eat highly salty fatty or sugary food that is not part of my regular diet, the condition become acutely worse.

I don't think sleep or exercise effect acne from my own experience, but I do think diet does.

Any thoughts?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i think you need to sleep sufficiently (>8 hours), so your skin can rest and function properly the next day
and yes, for me personally the more i sleep, the more smoother the skin and therefore less outbreaks occur
it varies from people to people

Lockhart said:
I have often found however that when I eat highly salty fatty or sugary food that is not part of my regular diet, the condition become acutely worse.

I don't think sleep or exercise effect acne from my own experience, but I do think diet does.

Any thoughts?
i can backup what youre saying there lockhart
diet can actually start acne, by having too much oily foods (ie hot chips), and can also make it worse
this is from first hand experience, so if you want the acne under control, make sure you eat lots of vitamins and minerals (ie lots of fruits and veggie, and not so much junk food) and you should be able to control it
my 2 cents worth

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
there is a hormonal aspect to acne
there is an anatomical aspect to acne

sleep can affects the hormonal part.. but then genetics can affect both..

this poll doesnt really explain much... and if u read recent papers about the best management for acne atm.. its very limited and there needs to be more work... frankly its a very complex problem.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
there is a hormonal aspect to acne
there is an anatomical aspect to acne

sleep can affects the hormonal part.. but then genetics can affect both..
so you mean..
if someone has acne mainly due to genetics..
then it's very hard to treat it with good sleep?
I guess many people (with acne problems) do not acknowledge/realise the importance of sleep in determining the severity of their acne problems because those who do not sleep well haven't really tried changing their sleeping patterns, and keeping it for a long time. They probably tried everything else (over the counter products, dermatologists' advice, medication, self-made masks, selected food, drinking lotsa water..) but did not really make themselves go to bed at or before 11pm (and sleep for a sufficient amount).

I know that there are people who sleep very little and very late and still have almost no acne.. but that doesn't mean that sleep wouldn't help people with acne problems......(that's why I didn't include 'people who have good skin and sleep a lot/very little options in the poll) and also, I agree that it differs from individual to individual but there should be a certain "trend" as to whether sleep can control acne..

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yes basically..

but you are right .. there will be a trend and a need for adequate sleep.. however.. if u still dun look after ure skin.. and are completely hormonal.. 8 hrs may not even make a difference..

its just part of the multifactorial problem

also mabbe ppl that are trying to 'fix' their acne by improving sleep patterns.. will skew the results..

tlodg

HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yes basically..

but you are right .. there will be a trend and a need for adequate sleep.. however.. if u still dun look after ure skin.. and are completely hormonal.. 8 hrs may not even make a difference..

its just part of the multifactorial problem

also mabbe ppl that are trying to 'fix' their acne by improving sleep patterns.. will skew the results..
yes it is a very complex problem..

so I doubt 1 thing can change it all.

I was looking at other acne threads and it seems like hardly anyone mentioned sleep (but they mentioned water)..

I wonder why.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Hit up the Roaccutane.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i tend to break out at that time of the month regardless of sleep/diet/whatever, but thats a hormonal thing. normally my sleeping pattern doesnt affect my skin at all unless i sleep with makeup on (again, that's a different thing.) so its different for each person. i think the more naturally predisposed you are to getting pimples/acne, the more likely it is that you will be affected by things that might not affect others...eg if i sleep with makeup on, i will have pimples in the morning, no question about it. but i've got a friend who could roll her face in bacteria, smear on thick cheap makeup and get 1 hour sleep a night and STILL have flawless skin. it's got a lot to do with genetics.

lengy

HSC
I also found that less soft drinks, or fast greasey food, decreases the likelihood of breakouts.

CieL

HSC
Whoops I voted wrongly.. didnt read the Q properly hahaha

Um.. I barely sleep.. I usually sleep around 3-4am.. sometimes at 6am.. then wake up between 9am-1pm..

I pretty much dont break out.. the only times I would would be around the time of the month, if not, my skin's clear.. Also, I'm a normal - dry type..

karoooh

HSC
I don't think it has to do with genetics for my brother, cos both my parents didn't really have any at that age, like me. He, however, has a very poor diet, so I feel, in his case, that it's to do with diet and hormones and not genetics. It'd be hormonal for me cos like ^CoSMic DoRiS^^, I only get it during that time of the month, and even them, it's only about 2 or 3.

PrettyVacant

HSC
No correlation =) I have irregular, interrupted, light sleep and I don't normally break out at all!

tlodg

HSC
N/A
karoooh said:
I don't think it has to do with genetics for my brother, cos both my parents didn't really have any at that age, like me. He, however, has a very poor diet, so I feel, in his case, that it's to do with diet and hormones and not genetics. It'd be hormonal for me cos like ^CoSMic DoRiS^^, I only get it during that time of the month, and even them, it's only about 2 or 3.
aren't hormones related to genetics?

how can they be mutually exclusive? isn't it true that at least part of one's hormonal secretion is determined/affected by hereditary traits

karoooh

HSC
Are they?

I dunno. I was never a good science student.

I'm feeling a blonde moment here. :\

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
hormones AND genetics affect it, hormones are signals - chemicals/proteins, genetics - well if u dont know what genetics is by now...it's heredity+traits+variation n located in chromosomes which means in DNA. DNA is transcribed into a thing called RNA which carries messages to make proteins, so now basically they can be related directly or indirectly. so if ur parents had it obviously ur likely to have it since half ur chromosoms r from each, but it's not 100% that u will (variation), think of diabetes, ppl with a family history of it are at higher risk, but not totally always a diabetic themselves....neway 2 my thought on the topic, sleep affects skin ofcourse, if i go to bed at 2am sure i will have terrible skin and bags under my eyes - like everday these days since its the holidays lol....erm on the pimples, i get a few, most near my menstruation time(hormonal), but while sleeping late makes my skin terrible i didnt really notice any more or less pimples but i think thats just me, erm i think generally sleep certainly has some affect, but not major only minor, i think the majors are genetics and diet(dont 4get smoking which is terrible for everything), n side things r like sleep and environment. if u have acne i'd suggest eating healthy - reduce chocolate and heaps oily greasy things, increase fruit, WATER is the best for everything, so also a major part of diet, hydration is a must for healthy skin so 8 glasses, this is obvious but so many ppl neglect it unfortunately, if ur skin is dry use cream, if its already oily thers no reason to add any extra creams like moisturising cream onto it. also use the intense clearasil creams regularly, the little tubes that cost like 12 dollars or something with blue n red on it, but they do dry skin out and make it flaky so just apply it on pimples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)