Smells Like Teen Spirit meaning (1 Viewer)

HSC
As a related material for imaginative journeys i'm doing Smells Like Teen Spirit and i was just wondering if anyone could tie the meaning of this song in with imaginative journeys coz I have no idea...

All i've got so far is that its sort of a juxtaposition in terms of Kurt Cobains attitude to a revolution, like he opposes it but embraces it at the same time.
"teen spirit" represents teenage rebellion.
Kurt Cobain was opposed to the mass mentality of conformity (ie. the people in high school that are all exactly the same)

But yeah, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
thanks in advance

HSC

yeh my teacher said songs are okay... and tv series too, althought that would be quite hard

emilybradstreet

HSC
I'd focus on how the musical nature of the song like the beats and rhythm can help transport the listener into an undiscovered realm maybee.

Also maybe how the alliteration of the title might help reinforce the abstract ways of imaginative thoughts.

Haha not too sure but i really hope you do well with it still ;)

b43179042352124

HSC
well you just said it
you rekon his talking about a revlotuion i tihnk you said?
well him imagining that is his journey
i tihnk im using it for my text as well
so the journey iis him imagening the situation
'Its fun to lose
And to pretend'
that right there shoes you he is on an imaginative journey
so thats wait i rekon
=]

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
vulgarfraction said:
And Nirvana songs don't have meaning. Kurt Cobain said it himself.
Yeah, he's right up there with Thom Yorke when it comes to cryptic lyrics. Personally, I don't see much in terms of an imaginitive journey in Smells Like Teen Spirit. Heck, it was named after something a girl once told Cobain - that he "smelt like Teen Spirit" - so he used it as the song's title.

HSC
Well i am now up to writing my text analysis on it and I sorta have an idea on whats its about.

Okay well basically,
the song is really random (or as my english teacher would like to put it fractured or disjointed) so the lyrics are basically just following cobains train of thought... like whatever he's thinking about and then trying to make it rhyme. There is no "story" or real character... it switches between 1st, 2nd and 3rd person

there is a lot of juxtaposition especially in the lines
"A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido"
a mulatto being dark directly opposes an albino
and mosquito represents pain and libido is pleasure...

the bit where he says hello a lot is like when someone is trying to break someone out of a trance but because its continued over and over it becomes like a trance itself and continues the imaginative journey.

It also presents us with his underlying values when he says
"its fun to lose and to pretend"
he is also commanding "here we are now, entertain us"

i haven't written it yet... but im just about to start

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)